MP-201 MIDI to CV with DFAM

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Suspish

MP-201 MIDI to CV with DFAM

Post by Suspish » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but couldn't find anything definitive on the forum, so I figured I would post here and see if I could gain any insight from the knowledgeable folks here.

My plan is to control the DFAM with an iPad sequencer, in order to have a longer pattern and/or varying time signatures. I would like to use the MIDI to CV capabilities of the MP-201 to achieve this. So far, I have been able to get the pitch CV and the gate working through the MP-201 by using the 'pitch to CV' and 'gate from midi note' and connecting to the DFAM. However, DFAM also reacts to the Velocity, which in my opinion, is very important to the nuances of the DFAM. Is there any way I can convert velocity through the MP-201? Or, can I send a MIDI CC to the MP-201 and have that converted to CV to patch to the velocity in on the DFAM?

Going through the manual, it seems that the only MIDI to CV conversion may be pitch and gate, with pitch bend and glide info. Is it correct that I cannot convert a MIDI CC to a CV with the MP-201?

stiiiiiiive

Re: MP-201 MIDI to CV with DFAM

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 am

I haven't put the hands in but the manual states that if a "MIDI to CV" channel is set on a given MIDI CC#, what is received by the MP-201 on this CC# is translated to the appropriate analogue CV output. Try with MIDI CC#1 and modwheel; if it does work, then find out the MIDI CC# for velocity.

Not 100% sure about that, so keep us in touch :)

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Fri May 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks, Stiiiiiiive. I will give this a try this weekend. The Velocity is just an attribute of the note on function, and doesn't have its own CC. I figure I would just use an arbitrary CC # and use it to control the velocity on the DFAM. If the MP-201 can convert midi cc's to cv, it should do what I'm looking for.

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Mon May 07, 2018 3:20 pm

So, it will only send CV out from the MIDI pitch, or a gate CV when a MIDI note is triggered. You can use MIDI CC's to trigger the gate, but it does not convert a MIDI CC to a control voltage, unfortunately.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Too bad... Wishing anyone can prove us wrong.