Moog CP215

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Dominoangel

Moog CP215

Post by Dominoangel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:51 am

Hello forum. I have a Moog old school. Would a CP215 really help expand it? I don't seem to get much out of my vx351. What is your opinion? Best regards Luis.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Moog CP251

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Hola Luis, welcome to the forum!

Basically, the VX-351 is just the output extension of your Voyager OS, the inputs being on the synth itself. So you can already use extra modulations busses (kind of) by routing VX outputs to (attenuators then to) inputs on the synth. On thing I often do with the synth itself is routing the KB GATE output to the LFO sync IN so that the LFO is retriggered at each key press.

What more would a CP-251 bring? First of all, a couple of modulations sources: a supplementary, basic LFO with triangle, square, S&H and soft S&H as well as a noise generator. Then some CV processing tools: a CV (or audio, with caution) mixer, attenuverters, a 4-way multiple and a lag processor, to soften brutal CV signal changes.

Voilà!

GregAE

Re: Moog CP215

Post by GregAE » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Welcome Luis!

In addition to its standard offerings (listed by Stiiiiive), there are some interesting tricks that the CP-251 can do to further its basic utility. Using a simple feedback loop, the LFO can also output ramp, sawtooth, and pulse waves. Also, the LFO can also easily exceed the rated spec by applying positive or negative voltages from the CV Mixer. The CV Mixer can be used to boost voltages x2, and can be used to invert the Voyager keyboard (a trick used by Joseph Zawinul of Weather Report). It's a real 'swiss army knife' CV toolbox.