MP 201. 14volts, not 12. Damage?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
A Lyttle Folk

MP 201. 14volts, not 12. Damage?

Post by A Lyttle Folk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Good evening.

I am considering buying an MP 201 which has a non-original power supply. The power supply is supposed to be a 12 volt AC unit. The manual specifies it as 500mA, whilst the item pictured as a replacement on Moog’s site is 600mA. , still 12 volts AC.

The power supply which comes with the unit I’m hoping to buy is 14 volts AC. Should this concern me? The pedal has not been used much, apparently. It seems to work, although obviously checking every single aspect at long distant is difficult. Generally speaking, it seems OK.

Thing is – would using the 14 volt supply be likely to have caused it any damage, do you think? Extra wear on components that haven’t shown up as a problem yet but might later? Obviously it hasn’t been just blown up!

So, in short, it has been used –fairly occasionally – with 14 volts AC rather than 12 volts AC. Time to back out or just buy it and get a different power supply myself?

Thanks very much for your attention and any help you may be able to offer.

Vsyevolod

Re: MP 201. 14volts, not 12. Damage?

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:26 am

The 600mA vs. 500mA is not a problem as long as the new supply is equal to or higher than the original one.

Typically, a 14v supply is fine for use with 12v equipment as the PS's tend to have their voltage a bit higher than stated anyway. But don't take my word for it, were I you I'd be contacting Moog directly on this one.

Also, it would be a good idea to get a voltmeter and see what the actual output of your new PS is. If it gets as high as 16v, I'd start to be a little worried about using it with the MP201.

Stephen