What's the story on the EP-3?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Croyote

What's the story on the EP-3?

Post by Croyote » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 am

I saw that JRR Shop among others is taking pre-orders for the Ep-3.

No mention on the Moog site yet. What is all the huzzah about . . .only thing different seems like the polarity switch . . . but my question is will it work with some pedals that only take a TS input like the ADA Flanger?

http://www.jrrshop.com/moog-ep3-ep-3

EMwhite

Re: What's the story on the EP-3?

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 am

It's also mentioned in the MF Drive documentation; I didn't think much of it (there have been MF-xxx printed on boxes prior that have not yet materialized) but I WOULD LIKE something to replace my creaky, somewhat faulty EP-2.

(mine doesn't sit at heel position well, it jumps up 3/4 of an inch at the worst possibly time and I'm reluctant to buy anything generic; I would say that I shouldn't have sold my MP-201 but I needed the dough, wasn't using it. It does have the BEST feel out of any exp pedal that I've ever seen; that thing was made to go into space, and I mean that literally: solid aluminum precision).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I have 4 EP-2's and one of them also doesn't stay in the heel position, it also creeps up about 3/4".

I've been meaning to open it up and see if I can get it to sit back down. Anyone else ever try this?

Stephen

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 am

Have you tried tightening up the screws?

I had some similar issues when I used to have five on a board (LOL) and was able to fix them with a little deoxit (actually a lot in one case) and a screwdriver.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 am

I took mine apart again and rewound/repositioned the flakey string on the spool. Seems better now but still creaks and still somewhat imprecise.

But I just saw that the EP-3 has finally showed up. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EP3

The two changes I can see are:

1) string replaced with what looks like a metal lever
2) TRS cable/jack replaces fixed cable

... and there is a note in the copy about a polarity switch that, I suppose, will make it compatible with more effect pedals and keyboards.

I'm still waiting for the MP-202 or maybe the MP-200.5. I could do with a single pedal width super high quality aluminum pedal with a minimum of electronics onboard; maybe four footswitches with different levels of attenuation and a latch which froze the foot position. I'll pay $200 for that.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

J-Jul

Post by J-Jul » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:23 am

MF101 - MF102 - LPII'white.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am

I hate EP-2. I have 3 of them and all of them are useless after 2 years. But no problem, I replaced them with MP-201 :mrgreen:
But still, what a crap of hardware, even my old (20 years) boss does the job better!

I would like to se something like MP-202, with just 4 switches, so you can chose which output you are controlling. Sometimes I dont need all the LFOs and ENVs. This would be really helpful for pedalboard that are already over sized.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 am

I put some graphite on it once, and the noise dissapeared completely
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Where did you apply the graphite? And are you talking acoustic noise or scratchy pots?

Stephen

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 am

Well, I picked up an EP-3 and have to say it is excellent. I mean really nice feel.

The body and pedal is the same plastic, for the most part, but the mechanism is way improved. If you are buying a Minifooger (as I did), you should be able to get $5 or $10 bucks off the pedal. Worth it.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 am

Vsyevolod wrote:Where did you apply the graphite? And are you talking acoustic noise or scratchy pots?

Stephen

on the moving parts, since it was an acoustic noise. did it only once and has worked completely silent ever since
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

christopherrowand

Post by christopherrowand » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:I have 4 EP-2's and one of them also doesn't stay in the heel position, it also creeps up about 3/4".

I've been meaning to open it up and see if I can get it to sit back down. Anyone else ever try this?

Stephen

My Ep2 also suffered from this.
I opened it up today to have a look.
The spring mechanism was a little too tight, so I very gently stretched the spring coil with my fingers, making it just a tiny bit longer than before. Don't overdo it of course!
This loosened the tension just enough so that the pedal doesn't spring back up anymore. Took 3 minutes to open, fix and close again. Well done me!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 am

Good on ya mate!

Stephen

tradrad

Post by tradrad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 pm

EMwhite wrote:Well, I picked up an EP-3 and have to say it is excellent. I mean really nice feel.

The body and pedal is the same plastic, for the most part, but the mechanism is way improved. If you are buying a Minifooger (as I did), you should be able to get $5 or $10 bucks off the pedal. Worth it.
DUDE!!!! where did you find one?? when i got my MF drive from sweetwater (a week and change ago) they said there were none to be had, and they were patiently waiting :?: ...a thorough interweb search revealed nothing...
please...do tell...
d#