Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Help/Repair

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
MoogInTheTitle

Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Help/Repair

Post by MoogInTheTitle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Hello All; another complete novice on board here.

Picked up a Concertmate MG-1 from an auction recently, because the price seemed too good to pass up. It was advertised as in working order, and while most of it seems to work, the main issue (other than needing some Deoxit in the volume controls) is I have about 7 dead keys of which most are in succession. Now, I haven't even opened this up (to most likely discover that protective foam that's turned into goo at this point, according to many other experiences listed online), but my main question was if this dead key situation is a somewhat common problem? Secondly, as I'm completely and absolutely new to the world of synth here, I think I'd like to get someone else to examine and restore this thing. I live in Durham, NC. So my second question would be does anyone know of a local place/person I might be able to take this thing to and get it repaired? I mean, hell, I go to Moogfest every year, so taking this up to Asheville might even be an option, based on the assumption that someone at/around the factory would know what they're doing for fixing their old analog equipment.

And it seems that these things have pretty decent desirability. Am I wrong on that? Please share your experiences if you want.

Thanks!

Voltor07

Re: Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Help/Repair

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 am

Yes the MG-1 is highly desirable. However, Moog Music Inc. (formely Big Briar) does not repair instruments that Moog Music Inc. built. You need to find an increasingly rare species known as the "knowlegable synth tech". The knowlegable synth tech is a very elusive creature, and there are many impostors known as "TV repairmen pretending to be synth techs". These creatures are plentiful, and should be avoided at all costs. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Re: Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Help/Repair

Post by Portamental » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Now you have a good experience of what a 'good working order' machine is most often on e-bay.

A 30 years old synth needs maintenance. This costs money, but first and foremost, you need to find a good tech to do it.

Keys contacts are a problem on old units. The key contacts are to be cleaned and checked for good contact. Also, each single key is hooked up individually on pin connectors on the bottom pcb board. Maybe there's an easy fix for your contacts but if the pin connectors are oxidized, then it will turn out a major job indeed.

If you go for a partial repair, whether you do it yourself or have a tech do a minimal job, chances are something else will go wrong soon after.

A good refurbished and recapped unit will last for a while. I do have a couple of MG1's in proper order (totally refurbished), they have been reliable so far. I have a third one that has not been properly serviced, and it's always down.

Good luck with your machine.