Sync delay time of MF-104Z with Voyager tempo

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
maxfeller

Sync delay time of MF-104Z with Voyager tempo

Post by maxfeller » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Analog Friends,

I have a question. I have a Voyager with its VX-351, a CP-251, and I have just got on ebay a MF-104Z that I haven't received so far. Therefore, I couldn't try this yet.

Is there any way I could sync the delay time to the Voyager tempo (I use Ableton Live to set the Voyager tempo)? For instance, if the Voyager's LFO is Synced to Midi and I patch that LFO's rate with the MF-104Z's TIME input, will I get a tempo synced delay?

Thank you!

Max
Max

till

Re: Sync delay time of MF-104Z with Voyager tempo

Post by till » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Short answer:
No.

In longer words:
Syncing the LFO of the MF-104Z would never change the delay time itself, but the speed of the delay time modulation. And this is something completely different technically and sound wise.

And the LFO of the Voyager is not synced to Midi as you use the term sync normally with midi clock. This syncing of the Voyager LFO is a waveshape reset. This technique was used in man famous synths for audio oscillators. The Moog Prodigy was once used in the sync mode for a famous solo in "What is Love" by Howard Jones in the 80ies. The original Minimoog had no sync.

So the Voyager is not syncing the LFO speed to Midi clock, but resetting its LFO wave shape to start at a certain point.

Due to the analog nature of the Voyager LFO, syncing the tempo would be very complicated. And I can't think of a single synth featuring a Midi clocked synced LFO tempo when using real analog LFO circuits.

So your idea of the synced delay time won't work this way.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

maxfeller

Re: Sync delay time of MF-104Z with Voyager tempo

Post by maxfeller » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks!
Max