MP-201 audible mechanical noise when sweeping

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Croyote

MP-201 audible mechanical noise when sweeping

Post by Croyote » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:20 am

Hi fellow controllees,

I finally got my MP-201 this last month, and have slowly been working my way through learning it.

Honestly, its going to take me a while to really explore the technological depth of this device and all its exponential ramifications on sonic manipulation, but I have been trying it with various analog devices and pedals.

Finally, I tried it with my MF-108M, and used the presets 18 and 19 to controls the various parameters. I was getting some truly rocking sounds using it like a wah-wah pedal w/ my sweet funky licks. I had all 4 cv's running into the time, feedback, mix and lfo amount (lfo rate too at one point.)

At some point I leaned a little too much weight on the pedal, and I heard a shifting sound . . . not a pop, not a snap, but sort of a clunk. Now, I can hear the mechanical sound of the pedal when I sweep it manifesting audibly in my speakers. Its not noticeable if I'm loud and rocking out, but if I am playing at recording volume its very noticeable.

When I use just one channel controlling the time, I don't hear it, but when I add a second channel and more I hear the pedal creaking back and forth.

Did I break some interior component? Am I using patch cables with too broad a frequency response (Canare GS-6 w/ Neutrik Jacks of custom length) ?

Will the sound be noticeable if I put the CV channels through my CP-251 first as a buffer?

Why wasn't it built to take a little more weight? As solid as it is, it should be built to take abuse, especially the pedal part. I'm a pretty fit guy, but I can stomp with the best.

Anyone else experienced this?

:(

Croyote

Re: MP-201 audible mechanical noise when sweeping

Post by Croyote » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 am

Ok . . .

A little further testing reveals that this "mechanical" noise is only audible through the time CV input of the MF-108, it doesn't matter if I switch cables or channels.

Perhaps I should start querying over in the fooger branch of the forum. I suppose it could be a scratchy pot . . . or, well my Cluster-Flux has been occasionally mis-behaving (the rate clock is solid red when I turn it on most of time, and takes a few taps to wake up).

However, I'm still concerned about that shifting feeling I felt when really leaning into the pedal.