MP-201 as a "preset bank" for Moogerfoogers?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
placidothecat

MP-201 as a "preset bank" for Moogerfoogers?

Post by placidothecat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I have a question about the MP-201. I have several Moogerfoogers and I'm wondering if the MP-201 can be set to put out single, steady voltages on the CV outs -- and saved as a preset. This way I could use it to 'store" favorite settings for my Moogerfoogers.

For example, if I connect the 4 CV outs of the MP-201 to the CV ins of, say an MF-102, could I save a preset on the MP-201 with 4 particular voltages on the CV outs (that represented a favorite MF-102 setting), then switch to another preset on the MP-201 for another favorite (4 voltages)? I don't mind if moving the pedal would change the preset voltage values, but I'd like to be able to say, with heel down, always recall my favorite settings/voltages. Can it do this?

Hope I'm explaining clearly.

Thanks

SteveD

Re: MP-201 as a "preset bank" for Moogerfoogers?

Post by SteveD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 am

Hi placido -

Yes you can use the MP-201 this way. Even more powerful than that is the fact that the heel and toe positions of the pedal can both be "presets" and by rocking the pedal back and forth you are continuously morphing between the two presets.

So for each moogerfooger preset you come up with you can morph to a variation using the pedal.

It's one of the reasons we came out with the MP-201!

Steve D

placidothecat

Post by placidothecat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks Steve, that may be a boring application but SUPER useful for a gigging musician who loves his Moogerfoogers.

Seems like it might be tricky to translate my favorite Moogerfooger knob settings into voltages to program into the MP-201though. Of course, I could just use my ears, but heck -- I'm the curious type... could one detect the knob setting voltages somehow? (Without violating my warranty, of course!) :)

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Hello -

I never thought of it as a boring application - I always thought the ideas of controlling multiple parameters from a single gesture in an intelligent musical way was exciting, but well then, I guess I'm kind of a nerd that way... :)

So translating knob positions into Voltages for the MP-201 is only a little complicated. In most (but not all) cases, a 0 to +5V CV input to a moogerfooger is the same as rotating the knob from CCW (counterclockwise) to CW (Clockwise). With that in mind, some of the knobs are easy to calculate - for instance LFO Amount on the Ring Mod - the scale is from 0 to 10, which can be thought of as a percentage - so a setting of 6 would be 60%. So 60% of 5 Volts is 3Volts. It gets a little more complicated because some inputs (most notably the Filter Cutoff on the MF101) the input DOESN'T equal the knob travel. If you search for my posts I think I explained the reasons for this somewhere else in the forum...

That being said, the rule of thumb I suggest above holds in most cases, and if you can express the knob position in %, then you can easily figure the voltage to program in the MP-201 for mofo presets. Then if you set your mofo knobs to CCW (for the MuRF you have to set the knobs to mid-position, another slight complication), then the voltage from the MP-201 at the input will equal the desired knob position...

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
SD

placidothecat

Post by placidothecat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks Steve -- that will get me in the ballpark for the MF settings, and I can tweak from there by ear.

(Oh, and tell the boss you just sold an MP-201!)

:D