MP-201 controlling non-Moog pedals via expression in?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Tibbon

MP-201 controlling non-Moog pedals via expression in?

Post by Tibbon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm looking at picking up a few pedals that have expression pedal input jacks (Eventide Space and Pitchfactor, Effectrode Tube Vibe).

Can I use an MP-201 to control pretty much anything that has an 'expression pedal' jack on it? I'd really like to only carry around one expression pedal, not four and it seems that the MP-201 would be pretty awesome for this.
Signature #144

GMAN

Re: MP-201 controlling non-Moog pedals via expression in?

Post by GMAN » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 pm

I'd try the mp 201 @ the store first. use ts cables if no worky try trs cables if no worky put mp 201 back on store shelf.also have the sales guy hook it up and use the midi functions if no worky ........I did not follow my own instructions and am now the proud owner of a $700 plus tax paper weight.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 am

MP-201 has TS jacks only. Depending on the mode and pedal position, it will send a different scale of voltage but all it does is SEND voltage.

Typical expression pedals have TRS, are passive, accept voltage on the ring connection and send it back on Tip (attenuated by the onboard potentiometer) [at least I think I have that right !!]

Effectrode pedals (I've been back and forth with Phil Taylor) also operate on 5V but if I'm not mistaken expect 250k pots (Moog typically uses 100k as far as I am aware). So it should all work just fine. If you have any doubt whatsoever, have a good read of the manual and even contact Phil @ Effectrode. I spent about 20 minutes chatting with him last week about this stuff; Moog is relatively new to him as is Midi-to-CV conversion but he knows tube and electronics cold; and makes a hell of a range of products.

I had a VibraChorus (just sold it) and also just bought a Phase-o-Matic deluxe. Phil was going to mod the CV jack for me until we both realized that setting the rate/speed knob to "frozen" then sending in an envelope or LFO from my Multipedal will do the trick. I can't wait to put this thing to use; arrives on Monday.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 pm

I have been doing this with my Boss and EH pedals for the last 2 weeks since I got my MP201. The tricky part is finding out the effective range. On some pedals you might only want to sweep it in a narrow part of the range, and it might not be at the top or bottom.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

Mooguitar

Post by Mooguitar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am

I use the MP-201 extensively with the Eventide Timefactor and ModFactor.

Can I ask "why not use MIDI instead of CV" for the eventide stuff ? They all have VERY flexible MIDI commands....Using the MP 201/MIDI:

- I turn the Mod & Time pedals on/off (bypass)
- I switch patches
-I have an MP 201 patch called "looping" where I can send CCs to the Timefactor and record/play/stop loops
-I sweep Flanger depth etc on the Modfactor, again using CCs

As has been said wisely, above, for other devices that have Expression-in jacks-- it will really depend on how each manufacturer implemented things. Checking the MP-201 out at the store will help- -or post specific units here and maybe one of us can tell you from experience. I have used the MP-201 on a couple devices w expression in -- and I use it all the time as a CHANNEL SWITCHER, changing from clean/dirty channels on my Marshall amp, it also (of course) works on a Bugera and Ampeg head with 1/4 channel jacks.

But MIDI will solve your issues on ANY of the Eventide stuff. I also use the MP-201 extensively with a Line6 M9 -- it would work as well with their new M5, or the older M13.
Likely On Tour somewhere, with one of:
Project/Object (Music of Frank Zappa) www.projectobject.com
Greg Lake www.greglake.com
Eddie Jobson www.eddiejobson.com
Adrian Belew www.adrianbelew.net
Delicious (LOTS of MP-201 action) www.satansjamband.com

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 pm

You can use something like the C251 to offset the signal so it fits in the range of whatever pedal your using. I've gotten it to work nicely with the WMD geiger counter. I think most CVs are 0-5 or -+2.5 and -+5 volts. The offset on the C251 is enough to at least move around into part of the range of any pedal.

EastNashRocker

Post by EastNashRocker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 am

Total noob here... I have my new MP-201 and I'm trying to control the exp pedal feature on my line 6 m9. I talked to people that have done this but I am having trouble getting started for some reason.

I am plugged into the mp201's CV1 and I'm using a regular patch cable into my Line 6's Exp Pedal 1 input. I've been using an expression pedal with the line 6 for weeks so I know how to connect that. However when I turn on the MP201 and engage Ch1 on to "SGL 00 Expresser" I'm not getting the gas pedal to make any adjustments on the Line 6. It does move the parameter on the line 6 a very tiny amount so I know something is talking to the line 6 and when I switch back to the line 6 exp pedal everything works fine

Do I need to adjust the MP201's +/- 5V? If so how do I get to that setting? I know this is user error but the manual explains how to connect to an analog moog product and doesn't give a great description about how to plug in successfully to other products.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

LoPhreaque

Post by LoPhreaque » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Hey Mooguitar-
I'm about ready to pop on a MP-201 (while they last) to control my 3 'Factor pedals. I was planning on using the CV outputs (with divider networks to keep the voltage below 3.3V) and sending midi to control patches on them independently.
Your post:
Can I ask "why not use MIDI instead of CV" for the eventide stuff ? They all have VERY flexible MIDI commands....Using the MP 201/MIDI:

- I turn the Mod & Time pedals on/off (bypass)
- I switch patches
-I have an MP 201 patch called "looping" where I can send CCs to the Timefactor and record/play/stop loops
-I sweep Flanger depth etc on the Modfactor, again using CCs

This is very similar to what I'm hoping to do.
Can you please be so kind as to post how you do this?
Can I change to a custom patch (i.e. write the efx, CV expression pedal assignment and all 10 pot positions) to, say, my TimeFactor independently of the other pedals?
I want to be able to select, via the MP-201, a pedal config midi message to go to the TimeFactor and assign the MP-201 pedal to go out to the TimeFactor...
If you could post how that is done, it would be GREATLY appreciated. The Eventide manuals are not especially well written. Seeing your post encourages me to go for it.
Thanks!
David