MP-201 Gurus...

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
the mink

MP-201 Gurus...

Post by the mink » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

Hey folks, I could use a hand. I'm incorporating the MP-201 into a studio/touring guitar rig, like this:

- MP-201 is always in Quad mode; using Tech 21 MIDI Mouse to switch presets. (Cool idea right?)
- MIDI Mouse is connected to MP-201 MIDI In.
- MP-201 MIDI Out goes to signal router - Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL.

Ideally, the MIDI Mouse would change presets on BOTH the MP-201 and the Switchblade on MIDI channel 1, without having to waste one of my MP-201 channels sending out PC messages. But right now it's not working.

Do I really have to have the MP-201 receiving a PC message from the MIDI Mouse, and sending a new PC to the Switchblade?
Seems redundant.

Let me know what I'm missing here...

EMwhite

Re: MP-201 Gurus...

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

You'd need to either connect your MidiMouse to your Switchblade then configure it to treat the "OUT" as a THRU. I don't have one but the doc looks to be able to do that. Am guessing that you seek to have the same Midi channel and programs common between the two? (so select PGM 3 then the GL and the MP-201 switch to that channel and you've got them setup accordingly).

The other option is to use the MERGE settings (present in v2 code on the MP-201) to Merge the DIN IN to DIN OUT which is in effect the same thing as what I've suggested you do with the GL. Without MERGE setup (in the way you have it wired as explained in my original message), the MP-201 acts as a dead end for Midi.

I like to limit the amount of data handling that the MP-201 is doing and therefore prefer to have it at the end of the chain.

Up until recently, I was using my MP-201 as a Midi interface also, routing IN and OUT to USB; if you do any LFO over Midi or even a fair amount of expression pedal tweaking, the 32k baud of bandwidth gets choked down pretty quickly. Now I have a MOTU Timepiece and have all sorts of intelligent routing and filtering going on, especially useful for segregating clock traffic.

Try what I suggested above, it should work.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!