Would the MP-201 be overkill for me?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Tenebrous

Would the MP-201 be overkill for me?

Post by Tenebrous » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Hello

I'm unsure wether or not I should be investing in a MP-201 would be money well spent or not. Not because I have any doubts about the absolute awesomeness of the unit, or the doors it opens to musicians all over the world. But because of my pedals & instrument.

I play guitar through a rather unconventional pedalboard (In a typical way Guitar > P1 > P2 > P3 > P4 > Amp). On the board at the moment I have the Moogerfooger MF104z and I'm looking to add the MF102 next month. I might choose to add the MuRF, but for the sake of this thread please just assume I'll be using the MF104z & MF102.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

EMwhite

Re: Would the MP-201 be overkill for me?

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm

With one Fooger, it is overkill (unless you have Midi synths that you also play or drone and want to sync a CV output to Midi but I'm not hearing that).

As soon as you add a 2nd and definitely the 3rd pedal, you'll find the MP very useful, that is if you are a tweaker! Awful hard to tweak all of those knobs whilst they are on the floor. The pedal gives you alot of help with that. Obviously you'll be patching some also.

For one thing, you can drive two or more of them in rhythmic fashion from an LFO whether it be a triangle wave, S+H, etc. You can also affect two CVs simultaneously from the single pedal (inverse from one another set to specific values, etc.); you can also use the foot switches on the MP-201 to send very specifically shaped envelopes to one of your pedals for added effect.

I'm a Bass player and while I have 3xFoggers, the MP-201, and a few Moog synths all rigged together, I don't have ANY foogers on my pedal board (it's full of other stuff). But if I did, I'd surely have the MP a part of it.

Fyi: I currently have a Carl Martin Compressor -> EHX Micro POG -> MXR Filter Env pedal -> Diamond ML2 -> Effectrode VibraChorus -> Boss Looper; that and my Korg tuner and a FS-6 footswitch and my PT-2 is jam packed. I'm not supposed to have all of this crap, I'm a mere bass player but somehow I do.

With the killer combo of the Moog stuff all together on your board, you're guaranteed to come up with some patches that are unique and most importantly, reproducible. The technology is great but the important part is that it leads to some really creative music making. It's as low as $449 w/free shipping on eBay right now and maybe even lower if you shop around. Nova*Musik has an Open Box MP-201 for $399. Buy IT !!! I got my Voyager Old School open box from them and it was absolutely pristine as advertised.

Good luck w/whatever you decide.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Tenebrous

Post by Tenebrous » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for the indepth reply EMwhite, appreciate it :)

I'm rolling with a Pedaltrain Pro at the moment, and I've recently aqcuired a Junior. I was thinking I could make a more... Conventional board with the Junior, freeing up space for more Moogs :D

I am most certainly a tweaker, and thats one of the things that draws me to the Moog units. I'm certain about the MF102 but I'm unsure about the others as of yet. Financially I'm not in a position to buy all at once so when I have 2/3 I'll probably take them to a store and ask to try a MP-201.

How about the CP-251? Would there be any point (as a guitarist) in having both the CP-251 & MP-201?

Please pardon my cluelessness. I'm a tweaker but I have very little experience with effects of such depth.

honney-bayes

Post by honney-bayes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 am

The MP201 will be perfect for you... unless you want a software editor. I've been campaigning for this since I bought my MP-201 over a year and a half ago... but as yet, NOTHING!!! I can begin to understand this... it doesn't make any sense!!!

Tenebrous

Post by Tenebrous » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:53 pm

honney-bayes wrote:The MP201 will be perfect for you... unless you want a software editor. I've been campaigning for this since I bought my MP-201 over a year and a half ago... but as yet, NOTHING!!! I can begin to understand this... it doesn't make any sense!!!
I'm not really fussed about software editing n the like :) Thanks for the info!

EMWhite, could I trouble you for a picture of your board please? So I can see the MP-201 side by side with other units :D Would appreciate it!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 pm

As I may have mentioned, I never had my Foogers on my PedalBoard (mine have always been racked alongside VX-351, etc) but I had my MP-201 there. At the time of this photo, I had my ML2, MXR Env., POG, Compressor, etc. on the other side of the floor over by my bass amp but have since consolidated. I can certainly get you a picture of the board as it stands, but there are no Moog products on it.

Have a look at this thread that speaks to attaching it to the PT-2.

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 472#p80472
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Tenebrous

Post by Tenebrous » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks guys :) I think I'll be buying the CP-251 rather than the MP-201. Chances are I'll end up with both eventually but I'll have 3 Foogers in a few weeks time and the CP-251 looks to be what I was looking for, plus I can learn alot :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Tenebrous wrote:Thanks guys :) I think I'll be buying the CP-251 rather than the MP-201. Chances are I'll end up with both eventually but I'll have 3 Foogers in a few weeks time and the CP-251 looks to be what I was looking for, plus I can learn alot :D
Certainly a good low-tech approach; suits the purist. The MP-201 has tons and tons of options and versatility but is very large on a pedalboard. One big advantage of it though is that it has presets and that can be helpful if gigging (between songs, just stomp a few bottons to change up). The MP-201 is 'hardwired' so to speak so you can certainly re-plug and turn a few pots to approximate position. Either way you can't lose and as you said eventually you'll have both.

I have MP-201 now, still haven't bought the 'other'. Am secretly hoping that they will release a Midi enabled CP-251; just something like the 105M which has a few CC for position of pots and Midi sync to beat clock. Otherwise, it stays and looks low tech.

Tenebrous

Post by Tenebrous » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 pm

EMwhite wrote:
Tenebrous wrote:Thanks guys :) I think I'll be buying the CP-251 rather than the MP-201. Chances are I'll end up with both eventually but I'll have 3 Foogers in a few weeks time and the CP-251 looks to be what I was looking for, plus I can learn alot :D
Certainly a good low-tech approach; suits the purist. The MP-201 has tons and tons of options and versatility but is very large on a pedalboard. One big advantage of it though is that it has presets and that can be helpful if gigging (between songs, just stomp a few bottons to change up). The MP-201 is 'hardwired' so to speak so you can certainly re-plug and turn a few pots to approximate position. Either way you can't lose and as you said eventually you'll have both.

I have MP-201 now, still haven't bought the 'other'. Am secretly hoping that they will release a Midi enabled CP-251; just something like the 105M which has a few CC for position of pots and Midi sync to beat clock. Otherwise, it stays and looks low tech.
Yeah I can definately see the benefits of using the MP-201 live, but I'm not ready to gig with my Moogerfoogers just yet. Maybe somewhere down the line if I join a band that requires crazy sounds I'll take the Moogs out n let the MP-201 do its thing.

To be honest, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to all this technical talk. A few months ago (Despite playing Piano for 14 years and guitar for 8...) I didn't know what VCO, VCF etc stood for. I've learned so much already just reading the manuals for the Moogerfoogers/Controllers, and I think when I get my hands on the CP-251 I'll be able to put what I've learned so far into practice :)

Tenebrous

Post by Tenebrous » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Just an update :)

I still don't have either, but I'm rocking the Ring Mod & Phaser now, as well as the delay :) Really couldn't be happier... Well :lol: I suppose I'd like an envelope so I can control the rates on any pedal I wish on the strength of my input signal, but, as far as I know, neither control unit can do that (Would have to buy a LPF/FreqBox).

I'm pretty sold on the CP-251 as my next purchase and other than the presets, built in expression pedal, 4 outs n midi etc, it can do everything the MP-201 can right? I have an EP-2 on the way (I ordered it 3 weeks ago)...