latch toggle between 2 cc values?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
teddykjam

latch toggle between 2 cc values?

Post by teddykjam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to send, from a button to midi out, cc#50 value 127, then cc#50 value 0, then alternating. Is that possible? From my understanding it is: with channel mode=gate, gate source = footswitch, FS mode+ latch, Gate/EG=GATE, midinote out = off, Channel output midi only, midi cc#=50, PGM change off.

What am I missing?

Is there a way to toggle between 2 values that I set myself? From what I've read the momentary mode spits out 127 when the light is on and 0 when the light goes off, then Latch Mode sends the same but it latches.
Teddy

http://teddyjam.com

teddykjam

Re: latch toggle between 2 cc values?

Post by teddykjam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 am

I'm trying to do this to operate a Line 6 M9 lopper mode's record and play controls. It wants to see cc#50 0-63 for record and cc#50 64-127 for overdub.... is that possible?
Teddy

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:12 pm

That looks like you have everything set OK - but you should check the MIDI channel on both devices for this message. This is different than the Channel Output you mention below. If they don't match I bet the Line 6 will ignore the message.
Hope that helps
SD

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi,

the midi channels are set the same for both devices. The M9 responds to the 127 value but not the 0 value... the MP201 manual says in Latch mode they alternate between 127 and 0 value, correct?

thanks
Teddy K
Teddy

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Teddy -

I grabbed a unit and tried it out - It does definitely send the correct values - 0 and 127 when you set a Channel to the settings we discussed. I attached a screen shot using MIDIOx showing the MIDI output of a channel set to these settings. The only difference is I'm not using the USB MIDI port - but that shouldn't matter.

So I looked @ the M9 manual -It says you are toggling between record and overdub with these two messages - when you send the CC#50 Value 127, it should start recording a new loop - then when you send the MIDI CC#50 Value 0 it should start the loop from the beginning in Overdub mode (playing but still recording). I don't have an M9 so I can't confirm.

Have you confirmed that this function works on the M9 with another MIDI controller? I'm baffled why it would not respond to the MP-201s MIDI CC50 value 0.

Hmmm....
SD
Attachments
screen shot showing gate mode cc output
screen shot showing gate mode cc output

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 pm

I have confirmed that sending cc#50 = 127 does initiate the recording on the M9.
I have confirmed that sending cc#50 = 0 puts the loop into overdub mode

the next step is the one that's not working
send cc#50 = 127 again and overdub mode should go off but it should keep playing
this doesn't happen, it's like the M9 gets stuck

this may be a bug with M9, and I am communivating with them too about this...

BUT

in the process of chasing this down, I noticed that my MP201 is sending a bank message with the cc#50 = 127
so, maybe that's interrupting the communication.

I'll look at your pix to see if your's is sending a bank message, in the meantime, can you tell me how to make the MP201 send now bank message at all?

thanks
Teddy

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Ted -

With the way I read and understood the manual I think that maybe you need to activate the Play function to turn off the overdub(?) I also think that the cc#50 value 127 starts recording a new loop every time the M9 receives this MIDI message. Or maybe another CC#50 value 0 toggles the Overdub on/off - I don't know - it's not clear to me in the manual - and I don't have an M9 to confirm.

As far as bank message (CC0 or CC32) that is only sent the first time you call up one of the MP-201s presets - so once you are in a preset, it doesn't send a bank select message each time you press the footswitch in Gate mode.

Cheers,
SD

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:09 pm

thanks for investigating !

the MP201 IS sending a bank message every time I hit the button with a 127 value...
confirmed with logic's midi monitor

I see in Midi Ox when you do the same it doesn't send bank message... must be something in my settings, no?
Teddy