MP-201 question

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
spin

MP-201 question

Post by spin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi all!

I have a question about mp-201. I would like to know if is possible to control the amount of modulation with the "gas pedal". Because i'd like to modulate a sound only in certain parts of a song (for example, basic modulations like vibrato or tremolo that i can control with pedal 0 -> to maximum value). Is this possible?

thanks in advance!

LivePsy

Re: MP-201 question

Post by LivePsy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

You can set the pedal to control the amount of a MP-201 LFO. The manual is very clear about this :)
I've stopped talking now.

spin

Post by spin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:12 pm

LivePsy wrote:You can set the pedal to control the amount of a MP-201 LFO. The manual is very clear about this :)
thanks for reply!
Well, i don't have this controller but i m thinking to purchase it in a future. Do you can control only the rate of lfo or also the amount of signal? because i was asking about the second one. I can control the rate also with a cp-251 that i have, but i can't control with a pedal the amount of modulation, only just with the attenuator knob

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:33 pm

spin wrote:Do you can control only the rate of lfo or also the amount of signal?
Download and read the manual and V2 addendum. Its not easy getting a handle on this device, because it does so many handy things. You can control the amount of LFO (amplitude of LFO signal), or you can control the LFO frequency (speed of LFO). As far as I know, you can't control both for a single CV output.

B

spin

Post by spin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:01 pm

LivePsy wrote:
spin wrote:Do you can control only the rate of lfo or also the amount of signal?
Download and read the manual and V2 addendum. Its not easy getting a handle on this device, because it does so many handy things. You can control the amount of LFO (amplitude of LFO signal), or you can control the LFO frequency (speed of LFO). As far as I know, you can't control both for a single CV output.

B
thanks! i ll sure download the manual as you suggest me, too many things to do at the moment xD!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 pm

LivePsy wrote:

B
You can do both on a single output channel, but you'll tie up an additional channel; let me explain. Channels are certainly bound to the corresponding CV output jack but what you can do is have [for instance] Channel 1 be LFO with pedal be set to Amount and have it's clock be bound to another channel [channel 2 for instance]; Obviously, you'll need to stomp a footswitch in order to switch the pedal to affect rate vs. amount, then again to get back to Amount, but it's doable.

Pay careful attention to whether or not you are running in single vs. quad and mono vs. poly footswitch mode.

Also, if you can tweak the upper and lower bound of the rate so that it matches (tempo-wise) the BPM of an external source (sequencer or drum) clock... of course you can always just have the other channel tied to Midi clock; But it's handy to have a fwd position be an absolute double or quadruple time of the core tempo.

I maintain that the MP-201 is the most amazing invention that Moog has developed in years. Not taking anything away from the Slim Phatty, Taurus, etc. I just don't think the pedal gets the recognition it deservers. "feel the power of the pedal..." as they say.

(oh, and edit.. you certainly can do both at the same time if Poly mode is selected and both foot switches are enabled; and it doesn't have to be linear or omni directional; you can have a smaller range on one or the other and have one go inverse in relation to the other if you like)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Very clever EM! I assume that clocks is the only way one channel can affect another. I get the quad mono mode, but controlling more than one thing from the pedal gives me a headache...

spin

Post by spin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:27 am

really thanks guys.

This pedal seems to be the perfect way to control so much parameters in real time. Much more useful of lp-251 on stage! I will take it of course :D