EP-2 output impedance problem

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
grzesio

EP-2 output impedance problem

Post by grzesio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Hello, y’all.
At first I'll tell you that I have searched the board, and did not find the answer for my problem.

Recently I have bought the EP-2 expression pedal. I've connected it to my CME M-key midi keyboard controller (this is my only device which has a pedal input).
Unfortunately it has appeared that the operational range of the pedal is something around 1/5 (of it's full deflection). Since at this position the midi value is 127.
I've measured the output impedance of the pedal at this maximum position - 10k ohms. I assume, that CME pedal impedance is 10k, instead of EP-2's 50k.
The only solution which I see, is to exchange the 50k pot to a suitable 10k, to achieve full range. Do you guys have any other, less destructible ideas? Maybe some converters? (I realize that it’s a common issue).
Thanks in advance!

virtualgeezer

Re: EP-2 output impedance problem

Post by virtualgeezer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:45 am

Hey I know your question is a little old now (nearly 2 years) but did you resolve this in the end? Only ask as I'm in exactly the same position with an M-Key and the EP-2 pedal. Luckily I have a few synths I can connect it to in the mean time, but my little M-Key is the one I use 95% of the time so if you found a fix I'd love to know. Thanks in advance.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Mine only reads 40K. And I opened it up; each of the two pots independently read 40K if that makes any sense. Certainly the trim on the side is freely movable from end to end but the one with the string mechanism is all bound up so I suppose it's possible that I have another 10K of movement there. Don't know.

I think you are fine replacing it with something else provided you can get something with the same footprint. You have plenty of room on the side pot (can have a pot of much large diameter) but the main has a small clearance against the plastic edge of the pedal. There are no circuit boards or anything else to be concerned about in there; just extremely thin wiring between the cable and pots and the physical mechanism, spring and goofy string.

I hate mine (I have three of them). If I kick it to Toe and my dog walks by 3' away, the pedal snaps back 1/3rd of the way.

I'd take a pic and post it but they've locked me down against having more that the 10 pics that I have here. I try to help out as much as I can but the forum rules are fairly tight in that regard.

There are 8 screws on the bottom, just pull them and have a look for yourself.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

EMwhite wrote:I'd take a pic and post it but they've locked me down against having more that the 10 pics that I have here.
Post your pictures on Photobucket, then just post the link here...

Stephen