MP-201: which power supply? (help!)

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
EMwhite

MP-201: which power supply? (help!)

Post by EMwhite » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 am

Stupid move of the day ... um, week.

Ripped apart my studio and upon reassembling, I found (or lost) my MP power supply. My other Fooger pedals have clearly labeled Moog PS'es but what I have left is a "GlobTek" Class 2 transformer which is rated at 600mA. The Pedal says it requires 500mA so obviously that will work assuming the positive or negative center is proper;

Can somebody tell me if this is the power supply that shipped with the unit? If not, can you tell me what yours says on it?

Thank you.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Brian G

Re: MP-201: which power supply? (help!)

Post by Brian G » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Not near my studio right now but Look at the manual on line, I think it uses a 12 volt AC(12VAC) power supply ( it converts to DC inside the 201) The ones for the other MF's are 9 volt DC positive tip and even there the Murf and freq. box and I think the delay. require a higher milliamp ( ma) rating than the filter/phaser/ and ring Mod. The wallwart should say somehting like 12vac 600ma, if you're not sure, son't plug it in :).

Had a chance to check mine this evening, transfromer says the same thing.... Glob Tek Class 2
If you look it says output AC 12 V 600ma.

One thing I ( and a few others I'm sure) have done, is to lable each walwart with what it goes to.

evol2013love

Post by evol2013love » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm

will this pedal take a 12VDC power supply? I want to run it off of a battery, but it seems crazy to feed it an inverted signal if it's just gonna get rectified right away.... can anyone verify that this will work? what do the experts think?

I'm considering purchasing this, and it would be great to be able to run it from straight battery power.

thanks

love

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 am

Unlikely. The MP-201 comes with a 600mA 12V power supply and most inverters are good up to about 100-200 or so. Think about it, aside from having the CPU inside which runs code and power display + uarts for midi and USB and lights (and must be solid and consistent), the MP needs to be able to pump out up to 4 very precise voltages (unipolar from -5 to +5).

I'm sure there is a high-end inverter out there that can work, but unless you are willing to carry around a car battery or two, it's going to be difficult to find a solution. But let us know what you find.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!