MG-1 Trigger Issue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
redgreenblue

MG-1 Trigger Issue

Post by redgreenblue » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

My beloved MG-1 has triggering issue that has me a bit stymied. The envelope will not respond to the keyboard. I get sound if I have it switched to 'continuous' and it will track the keyboard pitch-wise. If I move the 'tone sources' switch between 'keyed' and 'continuous' it will trigger the envelope but that is hardly a practical way to play it. Turning on 'autocontour trigger' switch has no effect. It has been like this for a while and consequently kept me from using it. Today in a flash of inspiration I connected a sustain pedal to the 'trigger' port and, voila, the envelope fired. Now I can trigger notes with the foot pedal and play the keyboard but it is hardly ideal.
I should add that the 'polyphony' will respond to the keyboard in 'continuous'.

Looking at the service manual has been instructive but not conclusive.

So my questions are;

Anybody care to guess what the problem component may be?

And, would adding midi retrofit or triggering via CV be a way to overcome the issue. I am inclined to do this as I think it will work given that it will trigger from the trigger port. Plus, I've always wanted this midi-ed. And if I do midi it, will that allow me to trigger notes that are beyond the 2 1/2 octave keyboard, which would be very, very useful.

All input would be appreciated. I look forward to integrating this with my modern system as this was my very first synthesizer which I got when I was in high school!

shane
redgreenblue

redgreenblue

Re: MG-1 Trigger Issue

Post by redgreenblue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Anyone?

robohaxx

Post by robohaxx » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:59 am

I registered on this site just to post this reply....

I have the exact same issue with my MG-1. It's been that way for years. I haven't tried the pedal trick though, will have to give that a shot.

By the way, if I wanted to send it somewhere for repairs, any idea where to start looking for a repair shop?

Dan

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 am

These are probably minor repairs.
A stuck key contact, bad IC or similar problem.
The problem is that while the repair itself might not be very involved... I might be able to repair it front of you in 10-15 mins.... all the other details of disassembly, assembly, calibration, testing, packing, shipping and insurance add up.

A tech must make sure an instrument survives shipping, so they may spend time inspecting the board, resoldering connections, cleaning connectors, etc.
They might need to perform other work not directly part of the original repair just to make sure it arrives back in good condition.
(Many owners believe that a tech can just go in and fix their stated problem, but don't realize other problems or operations necessary that come along with that one repair. )
I know that I could say "send it to me" and I could very likely repair it, but I also know of all this other work necessary in order to provide a warranty.

I'd suggest finding a service center that you don't have to ship it to and will warranty their repairs.
Otherwise you could spend close to what the synth is worth.
..and with that said, you might actually save money by buying another one and selling the broken one(s) for parts.
Good luck. :)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

electrojoe

Post by electrojoe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 am

Hi,
I am in Minneapolis MN,
I can repair your MG1.

Let me know if you are interested.
PM me at moogrepair at hotmail dot com

Thanks.
Gerry Dahl

redgreenblue

Post by redgreenblue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for the replies,

Does anyone have an opinion on wether midi-ing it would solve my problem?

shane