Rap parody with Logic, Voyager, Taurus3...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Rap parody with Logic, Voyager, Taurus3...

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 am

Friends,
This was buried deep in another thread, so I thought id bump this to give more folks a chance to check it out.

This video is a piece of satire that I made with the Voyager, Taurus, Logic, and iMovie. Now I hesitated posting it here because it does have the potential to be offensive, but this is a satirical piece of social commentary that features strong language. Rated R.

After awhile of tossing the idea around about posting it on the Moog Forum, I present you with
Studio Gangstas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygqK5dnHTw

If anyone has any problems with it, please pm me and I'll promptly remove it.

I used a couple of apple loops for the beats, a Turner Dynamic U9S for the vocals, Ran the Voyager through the 104z and ran the Taurus with no effects, everything into the board.

Hope you guys enjoy it and like I said, if its not PC enough for you Ill be happy to remove it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

mysterycircuits

Re: Rap parody with Logic, Voyager, Taurus3...

Post by mysterycircuits » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Shame on the wiggas!
Very nice balance between the tone of your voice and the bass, they complement each other well in this track.
Fo' Sho' 8)

PHC

Post by PHC » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Great song :-) Way to go EricK!
Lyrics rock, glad you included them in the clip description.

IMO the lead masks the vocal in the "magician" part of the song, in the "pirate" the balance is fine.

I love the lead. Any tips on recreating it on the LP?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I apreciate the comments. I did the vocals in one take so I didn't wake anyone up.

There is a patch on the Voyager called "Compton Lead" it pretty much is the epitome of all of the west coast style synth lines from people like Easy-E, Snoop and Dre, etc. I don't use presets anymore, but basically I just programmed some sawtooth waves with a little glide. I used all 3 oscs, Im sure the phatty will sound just as great with 2. I ran the voyager through the delay and thats it. Just enough glide to be able to hear the glide and play faster notes.

Eric

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:35 am

EricK wrote:Friends,
This was buried deep in another thread, so I thought id bump this to give more folks a chance to check it out.

This video is a piece of satire that I made with the Voyager, Taurus, Logic, and iMovie. Now I hesitated posting it here because it does have the potential to be offensive, but this is a satirical piece of social commentary that features strong language. Rated R.

After awhile of tossing the idea around about posting it on the Moog Forum, I present you with
Studio Gangstas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygqK5dnHTw

If anyone has any problems with it, please pm me and I'll promptly remove it.

I used a couple of apple loops for the beats, a Turner Dynamic U9S for the vocals, Ran the Voyager through the 104z and ran the Taurus with no effects, everything into the board.

Hope you guys enjoy it and like I said, if its not PC enough for you Ill be happy to remove it.
Just to prove your point about how silly this cultural phenomena is... just watch the mimicry in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7xuakX ... r_embedded#!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Well to be honest that link is not applicable. I actually enjoyed that even though it pretty much is a Wu Tang rip-off, but for an east coast style (or Wu-Tang style) piece it wasn't bad.

And don't get me wrong...my piece isn't a commentary about race, its about the misapproproation of a particular subculture that ultimately leads to the propogation of negative stereotypes about said culture.

In essence, it is a modern day minstrel show, and in the Lenny Bruce style I chose to comment on it.

I would be happy to go into the depths of the issue here, but this isn't a political forum, but I want to be clear that my intention that my beef here is with people who are selling fiction as truth.

Some forms of rap glorify crime and materialism. It is almost intentionally keeping their target audience reaching for rims and jewelry instead of an education and property deeds. And this "culture" of crime and materialism is what is getting exported around the world, despite the fact that the current President of the United States is Black, with a healthy two parent stable nuclear family. Its not enough. If that is the type of subculture that people want to identify with it is contemporary Vaudevillian blackface.

Again, I thought that Id share it here, and this may very well not be the place for it, but If anyone thinks I should remove it then I will do so. But rest assured..this ISN'T an excercise in subtle hatred because I don't condone that type of behavior.

Most Respectfully,
Eric

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

EricK wrote:Well to be honest that link is not applicable. I actually enjoyed that even though it pretty much is a Wu Tang rip-off, but for an east coast style (or Wu-Tang style) piece it wasn't bad.

And don't get me wrong...my piece isn't a commentary about race, its about the misapproproation of a particular subculture that ultimately leads to the propogation of negative stereotypes about said culture.

In essence, it is a modern day minstrel show, and in the Lenny Bruce style I chose to comment on it.

I would be happy to go into the depths of the issue here, but this isn't a political forum, but I want to be clear that my intention that my beef here is with people who are selling fiction as truth.

Some forms of rap glorify crime and materialism. It is almost intentionally keeping their target audience reaching for rims and jewelry instead of an education and property deeds. And this "culture" of crime and materialism is what is getting exported around the world, despite the fact that the current President of the United States is Black, with a healthy two parent stable nuclear family. Its not enough. If that is the type of subculture that people want to identify with it is contemporary Vaudevillian blackface.

Again, I thought that Id share it here, and this may very well not be the place for it, but If anyone thinks I should remove it then I will do so. But rest assured..this ISN'T an excercise in subtle hatred because I don't condone that type of behavior.

Most Respectfully,
Eric
Dude, I hate rap. Because it glorifies crime and materialism -EVEN WHEN IT IS CRITICIZING IT the kids don't get it because the videos, like all MTV, have nothing to do with the thrust of the lyrics. So even if you're watching a rapper bemoan crimes, materialism and sexism it's totally lost on the audience. I lived in a town in central KY for a while, while in college, where a black kid shots someone for a pair of athletic shoes and the cash in the kids' wallet. Suffice to say, when I see black kids or white kids acting the fool, flashing symbols, pushing bass in converted piece of crap cars that only loosens every screw in the engine... it makes me want to puke. And furthermore, it makes me sick that this is what our society is being fed as "what is black" --- I know too many self respecting black people who don't buy into this yo MTV raps bs.

I feel ya man. But most people aren't going to see that you have an issue with a cultural phenomena and NOT a race - because our society has a pretty firmly entrenched idea that black equals goofy bandanas, oversized pants with guns stuffed in the pockets, grills, thug life tattoos and weird hand signals. You are making fun of that phenomena, but without explanation - most people are going to get hung up on the word wigger and leave you hanging right there.

THAT SAID. the music kicks butt. Love the soundtrack. :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Veeger wrote:Dude, I hate rap.
I don't.

Veeger wrote:Because it glorifies crime and materialism -EVEN WHEN IT IS CRITICIZING IT the kids don't get it because the videos, like all MTV, have nothing to do with the thrust of the lyrics. So even if you're watching a rapper bemoan crimes, materialism and sexism it's totally lost on the audience.
This is ridiculous. First of all, this portion followed by "I hate rap" is a quite the hasty generalization (read: fallacy). How are you going to blame rap music for the fact that its mesage is "Lost on the audience". A lot of people don't understand Shakespeare, yet does that make him any less of a writer or his works culturally less relevant?

As far as the videos go, thats another generalization to make, but if it contains a shread of truth, that would be the directors fault, and shooting a film is a totally different art form. A lot of people can't make heads or tails of some Kubrick films.....but again, not Kubrick's fault.

Lets not blur the lines between crap pop music and true art...all musical genres have examples that represent these two. Anytime pure profit is the motive, the product is likely to be crap. And sometimes, true art is hardly marketable.

. You seem to be wanting to further the potetntial controversy that my video can conjure up, rather than the actual message contained within it.

Veeger wrote:most people aren't going to see that you have an issue with a cultural phenomena and NOT a race

My target audience is not the type of person that is going to have trouble making that distinction...

Veeger wrote:but without explanation - most people are going to get hung up on the word wigger and leave you hanging right there.
...and if someone does have trouble making that distinction, they aren't going to understand the explanation anyway. An explanation that is contained not only within the video, but within the video description. And for anyone HERE (and this is the only place this video is linked to), there is much explanation to be found.

Im going to let people form their own opinions.

Now, you want to argue that this forum isn't the place for social satire. I agree that I took somewhat of a risk in posting this here. But Ive ben here for awhile, and there are a lot of people that I have made friends with, artists in their own right. Some of them also long time members who know the general feel of this place and I asked their opinion if this was matierial that people can handle. They didn't think it would be a problem. My mission is obviously not to offend anyone here.

I also wanted to post this here because there aren't a lot of examples of Taurus 3 basslines, and both the synths lend themselve fantastically to this genre. My song is obviously heavily Moog infused.

People do post links to their music here, and sometimes art has a tendancy to contain political messages, be they pro or anti-war or what have you. I figure that a lot of people here are intuitive enough to know me by now and know the values that I represent and I wanted to share this tidbit with my friends here.

I would pull this down in a New York nanosecond if someone told me that they were offended by it.

Eric

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:16 am

EricK wrote:
Veeger wrote:Dude, I hate rap.
I don't.

Veeger wrote:Because it glorifies crime and materialism -EVEN WHEN IT IS CRITICIZING IT the kids don't get it because the videos, like all MTV, have nothing to do with the thrust of the lyrics. So even if you're watching a rapper bemoan crimes, materialism and sexism it's totally lost on the audience.
This is ridiculous. First of all, this portion followed by "I hate rap" is a quite the hasty generalization (read: fallacy). How are you going to blame rap music for the fact that its mesage is "Lost on the audience". A lot of people don't understand Shakespeare, yet does that make him any less of a writer or his works culturally less relevant?

As far as the videos go, thats another generalization to make, but if it contains a shread of truth, that would be the directors fault, and shooting a film is a totally different art form. A lot of people can't make heads or tails of some Kubrick films.....but again, not Kubrick's fault.

Lets not blur the lines between crap pop music and true art...all musical genres have examples that represent these two. Anytime pure profit is the motive, the product is likely to be crap. And sometimes, true art is hardly marketable.

. You seem to be wanting to further the potetntial controversy that my video can conjure up, rather than the actual message contained within it.

Veeger wrote:most people aren't going to see that you have an issue with a cultural phenomena and NOT a race

My target audience is not the type of person that is going to have trouble making that distinction...

Veeger wrote:but without explanation - most people are going to get hung up on the word wigger and leave you hanging right there.
...and if someone does have trouble making that distinction, they aren't going to understand the explanation anyway. An explanation that is contained not only within the video, but within the video description. And for anyone HERE (and this is the only place this video is linked to), there is much explanation to be found.

Im going to let people form their own opinions.

Now, you want to argue that this forum isn't the place for social satire. I agree that I took somewhat of a risk in posting this here. But Ive ben here for awhile, and there are a lot of people that I have made friends with, artists in their own right. Some of them also long time members who know the general feel of this place and I asked their opinion if this was matierial that people can handle. They didn't think it would be a problem. My mission is obviously not to offend anyone here.

I also wanted to post this here because there aren't a lot of examples of Taurus 3 basslines, and both the synths lend themselve fantastically to this genre. My song is obviously heavily Moog infused.

People do post links to their music here, and sometimes art has a tendancy to contain political messages, be they pro or anti-war or what have you. I figure that a lot of people here are intuitive enough to know me by now and know the values that I represent and I wanted to share this tidbit with my friends here.

I would pull this down in a New York nanosecond if someone told me that they were offended by it.

Eric
This is a colossally stupid, inane and boorish conversation. Your target audience?? Dude, wake up. I'm here to talk synthesizers and so is everyone else. Just because you had a frickin genius moment sociologically, don't lambast me for not "gettin" you or "gettin" it in the "wrong way".

By the way MOST rap does glorify CRAP ---and even if it's making social commentary the "artists" aren't even responsible enough to watch how they make their videos - and that's a real issue and a legitimate part of this discussion. Quit acting like you're all PC and enlightened and accusing me of tossing up negative emotions when you posted a video that leaves everyone going WTF??? Admit it, you think those "w*****s" in your video are dumb idiots and so do I. Misrepresenting me and making yourself look like frickin BUDDHA, you fool.

Oh yeah, and dude? If your "MESSAGE" was so clear, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So 1) your ART sucks and 2) you know it. So toss off. Don't post ANYTHING with the word "wigger" on here.... because it IS OFFENSIVE. May not personally get to me, but it will get to someone. So take your drivel crap art statement off this forum.