MOOG Rogue Case? Mods?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Ankaret

MOOG Rogue Case? Mods?

Post by Ankaret » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi,

Just curious what Rogue/MG-1 owners out there are using for a case, and what they would recommend? All I can find are those custom ATA flight cases on eBay and Im just not sure how good/bad they are as the pictures don't give you much. Any other alternatives? Anyone have pics or ideas for building/making your own?

Also, any mods out there for Rogue/MG-1 that are definitely worth doing? I know it's a limited little synth, but for what I use it for I absolutely love the sound, sometimes the casing leaves me wanting something a bit sturdier and so I really need a good case for it to protect it. Anyone that's done anything to theirs to try and make up for the somewhat cheap construction?

Any thoughts/help is appreciated!

Benjamin AM

Re: MOOG Rogue Case? Mods?

Post by Benjamin AM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 am

As far as the mods go, I have done a handful with my Rogue. First I would suggest upgrading the power supply, here is the info on how to do it:http://adagio.calarts.edu/~lorinp/rogueps.html. I have also installed some components that I think the Rogue lacks, like a modulation rate LED. I also feel that adding an additional 10ohm resister to the controller keyboard ladder is necessary. This makes the Rogue compatible with most analogue equipment. Out of box, the 0 volt key is low E, whereas it should be low F. Doing this mod will make the Rogue compatible with other keyboards without having to detune. As far as doing things to the keyboard that modify it's sound, I have also successfully installed the following: Pitchbend attenuation, Oscillator independent selection, both square waves are now variable pulse waves around 10-90%, semi modular capabilities:multiple Filter CV and Pitch CV in. I'm currently working on separate osc range selection. Seems that it would require a small daughter board. So, there you go, the Rogue s very modifiable. Unfortunately, there is not much info on the web about it.
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Wow, very cool. Do you have any pictures or sound samples of your modified Rogue? Sounds like you've turned it into something much more than what it is out of the box.

And thank you for sharing that link, I will have a thorough look at it and decide if I have enough "skill" to do that power supply mod, sounds like it is pretty necessary for the long run.

Do you have some sort of case you would recommend? Build your own?

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 pm

and it is too bad there isn't much on the web for these mods...

:-(

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 pm

I do not have a custom case for it. I usually pack it around in a large Roadrunner travel case with my mixer and pedals with foam separating everything. As far as a video or sound clips go, I have to admit that I don't own a decent computer or digital camera to take these recordings. I still use film and tape. I can offer to do a cheap recording from an iphone. The quality will be bleep but it may give you a better idea of what the mods sound like. Interested?
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

dave500

Post by dave500 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm interested... :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm

After having removed all that sticky tar, cleaned the contacts and rinsed and polished my Rogue I found that it sounded even better than when I first got it. I'm not modding mine. Not even for midi even though that is fairly easy. IMO it sounds absolutely stunning the way it is.

For case, I have something that might be an original case from when it was new. It's a black tolex covered suitcase like thing with stinking polyurethane foam in it. I'll have to do something about that eventually. I was thinking of covering the foam up with some nice green velvet. Or maybe just look for a small universal keyboard gigbag of some kind...

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 am

Yes, let's hear the mods!

AND can you guys post pics of your rogue in cases? Anyone have this, is it any good?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-Case-SUPER-SALE ... 3a5ce4f262

Ankaret

Post by Ankaret » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Rogue wooden case mod:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 80&bih=533

neat! wish the pic was better.

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 am

I've installed the analogue solutions modular kit and the midi in jack

jobot

Post by jobot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 pm

I've been thinking about that modular kit, how is it working out for you, how are the instructions that come with it.

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 am

the modular kit is pretty straightforfawrd to operate, my only grief is that the s&H output, dosen't seems to work properly as it double the saw output.
A part from that is great for sync the cutoff to an incoming clock or other easy stuff like that, I still have to experiment more.
The documentation is pretty clear, even though I had an expert technician to perform the mod, I haven't got any soldering skills and I don't feel confortable to open and mess with my synth guts myself :)

hope it helps

BTW I've found very useful the midi in mod which let me use my arpeggiators to animate the mood in perfect time a midi clock, its true that you'll have to use the pitch wheel to adjust the overall pitch, as someone stated before, but it is no big deal

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 am

Back in the days when I had my MG-1, I used an accordion case to carry it around. It fits very nicely in there. And the only mods I had done to it was to put an external pot on the back to replace the internal trimpot for Tone Source Two pulse width adjustment, to be able to change it from outside.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion