synth on "all my love" Zeppelin?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
FlametopFred

Re: synth on "all my love" Zeppelin?

Post by FlametopFred » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Doing the math reveals there are still some GX-1's out there, as well as EX-1's and FX-1's and so on.

Due to circumstances, I've moved on to a whole new Electone platform that solves a lot of problems for me.
I swear by these instruments, and wonder why other synth manufacturers don't explore the possibility of a multi-manual, cohesive console. Players would buy them and use them.

YouTube is full of resourceful keyboard players that have built or constructed their own "GX-1" like consoles.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:25 am

I don't know what they used back then, but On Plant's 2010 tour the keyboardist was using a Mini Wurly combo with some other good stuffs

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

FlametopFred

Post by FlametopFred » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Doing the math reveals there are still some GX-1's out there, as well as EX-1's and FX-1's and so on.

Due to circumstances, I've moved on to a whole new Electone platform that solves a lot of problems for me.
I swear by these instruments, and wonder why other synth manufacturers don't explore the possibility of a multi-manual, cohesive console. Players would buy them.

I am SUGGESTING that MOOG make a DUAL MANUAL Voyager XL.
I would buy this.

Maybe they could toss in Taurus Pedals and wind up with some kind of Constellation update.

willi

Post by willi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm

I own a CS-50 and part of the appeal is all the realtime controls. Although the CS-50 lack the polyphonic initial and aftertouch (and wooden keybed) of the CS-80, it is still very expressive. It doesn't even have velocity, if I recall correctly, but the aftertouch triggers as part of the keystroke so it functions as a sort of blend of velocity and aftertouch. This is married to dedicated paddle sliders that control the routing of the channel aftertouch to things like volume, filter cutoff, etc. It is not only very expressive but also very accessible. There are other nice features of the synth that make similar efforts to consolidate discrete modular functions into musically useful controls.. for example, the ring modulator has a dedicated LFO coupled to it. Yamaha's nomenclature can be a little confusing at first, but after some use it becomes evident that the engineers put a fair bit of forethought into the control arrangements.

The ring modulator also has an interesting sound and I have heard its circuit is unique in the way it implements ring modulation. A look at the schematic seems to indicate that it is a very simple circuit, but I believe it depends on a custom Yamaha IC. The CS series did use IC as opposed to the discrete circuits of the GX-1, but I have read that those IC's are descendants of the GX-1 design, in at least some regards.

As an aside, I personally wonder if the CS-50 could be transformed into a 6 voice synth with the use of a key assignment circuit from a CS-60. The CS-50 internals evidentially support 6 voice cards, at least physically. With a few other modular-style enhancements (CV I/O, audio input to filter and ring mod, etc.) one could more easily mate the CS series synths to 1V/oct gear and easily add a touch strip. A modern touch strip, like the 'walking stick' project seen on electro-music and matrixsynth, could even implement the zero-point features of the original CS synths, as well as pressure sensitivity and other neat things (XYZ anyone?)...

I've read that No Quarter used a Pianet through a Leslie, although the EMS VCS3 was certainly there and I wasn't... ;-)
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Sweep wrote:Incidentally the solo parts on Wendy Carlos' performance of the Fifth Brandenberg are an Electone E-5, which did things the Moog Modular wasn't at that time capable of.
Can you confirm that?
Sweep wrote:There's a story on the net of a guy who bought a very cheap GX-1 from an organ teacher who'd acquired it after a Yamaha demo concert. Maybe the only time that will happen, but you never know.
Gordon Reid?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:27 am

Trigger wrote:
Sweep wrote:Incidentally the solo parts on Wendy Carlos' performance of the Fifth Brandenberg are an Electone E-5, which did things the Moog Modular wasn't at that time capable of.
Can you confirm that?
Yes, she mentions it in Book One, New Notes in the Switched on Boxed Set. There's no page number but it's about a third of the way through in her discussion of her recording studio. It's the two pages after the full page photo of the Moog modular in 1968. I think I recall her mentioning it elsewhere as well, though she may not say E-5 elsewhere.
Trigger wrote:
Sweep wrote:There's a story on the net of a guy who bought a very cheap GX-1 from an organ teacher who'd acquired it after a Yamaha demo concert. Maybe the only time that will happen, but you never know.
Gordon Reid?
Could be. I can't remember.

BTW with regard to Benny Andersson's GX-1, which I mentioned was being repaired when this topic originally started - repairs were succesful and it's now functional again.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I wish I could remember which synth I used on that song.I shouldn't mix smack with j.d.

willi

Post by willi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Does anyone have the schematic to the GX-1 ring modulator by chance?
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com