Moog Percussion controller cinch jones/cables--available?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Electrong

Re: Moog Percussion controller cinch jones/cables--available

Post by Electrong » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 pm

It's like the s-trig is on full on, it is just shorting the current, correct? I was wondering if it makes a difference which side (pos or neg) has the larger blade. The drum isn't really like an envelope according to the speaker, the harder you hit the drum the faster it moves the speaker which sets the voltages relative to the scale and sensitivity knobs, I think. It may be working as designed, but if I could get the s-trig to operate just to start the on-board envelopes it would be golden, exactly what I'm wanting it for.. Although as it is, it is very cool to be able to change the filter on whatever note is played according to how hard it is hit. I'm not too intent on getting osc frequency modulation.. I was actually wanting to control the filter, and/or the note-on-off-envelope generator.

Maybe the service bulletin download can shed some light on the S-trig situation.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I was wondering if it makes a difference which side (pos or neg) has the larger blade.

Yes, sometimes it does.
Generally the thicker blade is ground.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:
I was wondering if it makes a difference which side (pos or neg) has the larger blade.

Yes, sometimes it does.
Generally the thicker blade is ground.
I may switch the poles. I remember wiring the thicker blade to pos..
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 pm

I think it is working.. Modulation madness may occur, though. Upon suggestion by my son I plugged a Boss delay into it and then detuned all 3 oscillators, sometimes modulating pitch with osc 3, and using the pitch wheel, and of course playing the various filter and oscillator levels with the drum. It really likes playing s/h type tones. very atonal but I kept the rhythms going.. I think I like it! One can play the keyboard and then rhythmically affect the filter levels in a random filter level. i'll try to get a video sometime.. We shall see..

Thanks for all the help..

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 pm

I don't know if I told you this already, but I can express myself the MOST on a set of drums. I think it is the instrument I was born to play.

What I like to do with the 1130, is to use it like I would a ride cymbal, with a bass patch on the synth so that it simulates a waking bassline with the scale attenuated a bit to keep it from being random. Its pretty neat!

Please post some videos of the drum when you get it. I don't think there are any drum/Mini videos out there yet, but there aren't hardly ANY on youtube. I think the only videos of the drum are from the members of this forum!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 am

That is a good thing to do with it, I like just controlling the filter with it and using the keyboard for the osc frequency.. Still not sure if the S-trig is working as it should, it is just sending a permanent note-on signal, I think. That may be the way it's supposed to be..Erik, is that what yours did? The drum is controlling voltage in a constant way depending on how hard it is hit. If you want to open the filter or turn osc freq up, you hit harder, to close it you tap lightly.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 am

Someone else maybe more specific.

In my experience with the Micro, it opens and closes the trigger. No note until you hit, then the synth follows the properties of the envelopes. The drum acts exactly like you are pressing a key, except you can't hold a note with it.

If you set up star wars blaster sounds, the blaster isn't constant until you hit the drum again, the switch should be exactly like the pressing and releasing of a key. THe advantage of the drum is that you can do things with your strokes that you really can't do on a keyboard with your fingers, so I would say that the voltage should be constant, until the next stroke, but the trigger isn't.

I hope this makes sence. My problem is that since im not an engineer I can only theorize whats happening based on the results i notice.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:05 am

The s-trigger simply shorts the circuit as you say.. It is probably working.. I'll get back to it when I have more time.