Just played a Roland Gaia at the store

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

Re: Just played a Roland Gaia at the store

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I also played with the Gaia when it came out, and I was not impressed.
I would never consider buying one for myself at this point.
However: I do commend the panel layout of the Gaia, and I think
it's great that Roland designed it sans-LCD screen. No menus
means faster, easier, more hands-on programming, and I think
that in itself makes the Gaia an excellent synth for beginners
to learn synthesis on, without having to drop the dollars
(or pounds, euros, yen, krona, rupees...) on an expensive analog synth.
Being a Moog owner, I feel if I bought this it would be a bit of a step backward,
but that's not to say it isn't a great learning tool.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 pm

I was at guitar center the other day and they didn't even have any Gaias. The only synth they had with knobs that i could easily make do what i wanted was the micro korg. Other than that and the alesis micro-synth, which wasn't plugged in, everything was filled presets including drum loops that just happened, large lcd displays, and sounds which did't respond to knob tweaks with out some kind of sub menu voodoo or secret buttons. Maybe i'm just spoiled by the simplicity of my moog, but I don't think one should need to read the manual to be able to easily tweak a sound.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 pm

The biggest tragedy relating to the Gaia is that it caused Demo'in Dan to leave this forum.

I played one at SamAsh and it was what I expected. Mediocre build quality, so-so audio quality, decent layout. If you are struggling for a VA keyboard and don't have alot of cash, it's likely a decent choice. If I had my way (cash), I'd get an Access Virus TI... but I don't have that kind of dough so instead I have a Korg Radias. People bitch and complain about VAs not being 'as good' but if you've got Analog covered or just want a single keyboard for leads and Bass and can't afford $1,300 for Phatty, it's not the worst thing in the world.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:55 am

EMwhite wrote:The biggest tragedy relating to the Gaia is that it caused Demo'in Dan to leave this forum.
Agreed. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but who was Demoin Dan and why did he leave becausr of the Gaia?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Kenneth wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but who was Demoin Dan and why did he leave becausr of the Gaia?
Read through this thread, front to back, and most shall be revealed. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Surely Dan didn't think the Gaia would get much of a go here :) Me and my Voyager are here because Roland didn't do better since the JP-8000. And I'm really not sure why manufacturers and musicians have such a big gap these days. More than ever, the wants of the musicians are being ignored by manufacturers. I can't guess what the marketing departments of them are thinking. If I get the chance to throw a metaphorical stone at Roland in a forum, I will take every chance I can get.

The only hope for the major keyboard manufacturers is the Kronos. It has been quite a while since we were really surprised with a new product.

Cheers,
B
I've stopped talking now.