Just bought a Moog The Source

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
phoenix224

Just bought a Moog The Source

Post by phoenix224 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Hello,

I finally bought a vintage Moog synth. After much deliberation over the Little Phatty, I bought The Source and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

This one has been fully serviced by Jeff Blankensopp of Ears Audio in NYC and it sounds fantastic.

It's not my first analog synth - I have a Future Retro XS and Revolution, a Roland SH101, and a Roland Juno 60 (though I'm not sure if this counts as analog since the oscillator is a DCO). I sold a Studio Electronics SE-1X to get The Source, and I don't miss it at all. It could get some good bass sounds, and the tuning stability was remarkable, but it didn't inspire me like The Source does.

I am thinking of picking up a Kenton Pro Solo mk II to add MIDI to The Source. Does anyone have experience controlling a Source with this box? I am very reluctant to go with an invasive MIDI solution like the Encore.

Thanks for any advice. It's great to finally join the Moog club. My only regret is that I waited this long.

MC

Re: Just bought a Moog The Source

Post by MC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Don't be reluctant about the Encore, it is a great interface.

With Kenton and others, you will miss out on filter keyboard tracking and the glide processor. Big Omission in my book. Plus the Encore kit expands patch memory to 256 patches and you can do sysex dumps.

I've had the Encore in my Source since 1992, never regretted it.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

cl516

Re: Just bought a Moog The Source

Post by cl516 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am