If you had to buy a Poly today?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EMwhite

If you had to buy a Poly today?

Post by EMwhite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm

I love Analog, recently bought an older Jomox Drum (because I was tired of waiting for Linn), bought a Fender spring reverb, and have gathered a good collection of Moog gear.

I don't like synths with huge displays which are really just computers running virtual synth software. A friend of mine, who is really a keyboard play (I'm proficient but don't consider myself a kb player) has abandoned his dedicated gear and now uses Mac based softsynths.

So here I am with a quandary. Do I buy Prophet '08 or do I make a deal with the devil and pick up a Nord? I already have a Hammond so organ reproduction isn't what I'm after; If I had the dough, I'd pick up one of the new Rhodes for 5 grand. So mainly, I want pad/resonant string sounds and something that closely resembles an electric piano and whatever is in between.

WIth so much written about a Moog Poly and knowing that there is a big difference between what you can coerce out of a poly analog and what a modeling synth provides, I guess I'm really just looking for something with a analog type interface (plenty of hands on controls that act as they should when tweaked) that sounds as close to analog as possible but with the benefits that you won't soon see from Moog or anybody else.

Are Prophet owners satisfied with the '08 or is there still something missing?

Feedback on Nord's, Access, Prophet and anything I may have missed appreciated. I've been playing Apple Logic sounds with my CZ-1 as a Midi Controller and have had enough! (anybody want to buy a CZ-1?!)

Am not interested in reading more about what is NOT yet shipping, there has been plenty written and I don't mean to re-open that discussion.

Thanks guys.

'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Electrong

Re: If you had to buy a Poly today?

Post by Electrong » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 pm

I would also like to know more about the DSI Prophet 08 and the Poly Evolver synths. Both sound like awesome products. I wonder how their bass sounds compare to the Minimoog Voyager, and whether or not they're merely good enough, or actually very good at mono-synth sounds. That being said I would also like to see more comparisons between the Voyager and the older Mini Model D--Collectible value on the model D is getting it worth near what the new Voyager costs and I'm not totally convinced that the D brings with it corresponding "sonic value."
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

I really like the Nord Lead series, and I think it would fit your requirements just fine. The interface is laid out very well. One tip if you get one or try one out - in my opinion, it sounds great as long as you keep the resonance turned down lower. Once the res knob gets to about 1/3 the way up, that's when it starts to show its digital harshness and you realize "this is no analog synth". But at lower res settings I think it does an awesome job at emulating CEM type filters, just like what the Prophet uses. And the Nord has a proven history of reliability. I had an original Nord Lead 1, probably built around 1996, and when I sold it last year it was working perfectly - never had a problem. I regret selling it.

I've owned a DSI Evolver, but not a Prophet. My only advice here is that if you choose to get a Prophet, get the "PE" version (the Pot Edition) that has real knobs. A rotary encoder will wear out a lot faster than a true potentiometer. This has been proven over time with gear from all manufacturers, not just Dave Smith's stuff.

Good luck with your search!
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I'd take a serious look at the Andromeda. They are discontinued, so unless you find a store with one in stock, you need to find one on eht used market. But WOW they sound great.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 pm

See if you can't lay hands on an Ensoniq ESQ-1. Pretty neat machine. A hybrid with analog filters. If you have a good controller, the ESQ-M rack is really inexpensive and you can chain them for more poly and more multi timbrle. (Just no sequencer in it like the keyboard version.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Studio Electronics Omega 8
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

eXode

Post by eXode » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 am

I own a DSI Tetra, and even thought it's not hands on I can still comment on sound as it can be identical to the Prophet '08 (except for fewer voices obviously).

The Tetra sounds great for a lot of stuff. Punchy, snappy and bright especially. I love the 2-pole filter, even though the resonance in that mode is VERY weak it can do some almost Yamaha CS like tones sometimes. I think that the Tetra owes quite a lot to an oberheim in sound as well (i.e. OB-Xa/OB-8). I'm not saying it sounds the same as those two just that it owes more to those in some ways than a Prophet 5 imho. This might sound strange but the one thing I actually think that the P'08/Tetra doesn't do so well is smooth/warm pads. Theres something to the filter that doesnt do that type of smooth well. I think it''s more Bass, lead and brassy. I think that i.e. the Matrix 6 does smooth/warm pads better.

Also if I understand correctly the OB-Xa/OB-8 Did not feature X-Mod or FM, The Tetra/P'08 doesn't feature it either. It does however feature audio mod of the filter. I personally don't find it as good sounding though as if you would have been able to modulate stuff directly from i.e. OSC2.

On the Tetra, I don't care for the sub-osc so much but the one thing it haves over the P'08 is the programmable feedback imho. It can add a lot of character when used right.

If you aren't in need of hands on I'd also recommend looking at some old poly like Oberheim Matrix 6 or the Matrix 1000 module as well.

My 2 cents

eXode

Post by eXode » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 am

Oh yeah, one final comment. If you go for a P'08, regardless of keyboard or module version be sure to take the pot edition. It's just so much nicer with pots.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 am

When I am in the mood for warm mind-melting pads, I look towards my Q+.
Send it through a pair of MuRF pedals and drift away!

Amazing machine.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 pm

All the polys that seem to attract me are up there in price. I don't know if I'll ever get a poly I really want, but if I would today I would look at:

The SE omega 4 or 8
Virus TI keyboard
Q+ keyboard
Waldorf Microwave I

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Sir Nose wrote:All the polys that seem to attract me are up there in price. I don't know if I'll ever get a poly I really want, but if I would today I would look at:

..stuff deleted...

Well... yeah. I started by thinking that the Nord rack or Prophet '08 was in range pricewise (upwards of $2,000). I never heard of some of the kbd's mentioned... Guess I should get a home equity loan (not that I have any equity!)

'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Aiming for a Prophet sound I'd at least look at the Creamware Pro-12. It's digital but supposed to be a great emulation, and its got full knob control and 12 voices.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Id probably get a Prophet 08 Module and try to see if I could find a Yamaha Motif rack module, I figure both of thos would cost about the same as a new Prophet with the keys.

But of corse Im still holding out for the Moog Poly because I am carrying the torch for the Constellation System.

Now the question is.....does ones keyboard skills justify the need for a polysynth...

Those Mark VII Rhodes are surely nice. My father really wanted to get one.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

eXode

Post by eXode » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:15 am

Oh yeah I want to throw the Alesis ION in there for good measure! A highly underrated VA synth imho! 3 oscillators, with filter models on a lot of famous vintage synths like Moog, Oberheim, ARP, Jupiter 8 etc. It also has a lot of other exotic filter that are not found on vintage synths. I think it has 20 something filter models. A lot of people go on about how the ION sounds almost analogue, or how it sounds most analogue of the VA's out there. Downside to other VA is that it only has 8 voices.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:47 am

Guys, that's great feedback and many diverse opinions (half of these synths I had to look up!!).

At this point, I'm really impressed with the Virus TI. While a Prophet PE certainly gives a different tone than Moog with Curtis filters and all, in the end there is a realm of the type of sounds that I'm after that a true analog cannot touch (or a least I can find one that does). Strange to say that 'here' and to look around at all of my foogers and Moog gear and say that (blasphemy!).

If you've listened to Wendy Carlos's Secrets of Synthesis CD (produced years ago), she says something along the lines of "Good Analog is Great but Good Digital is Better". "huh?! I thought" I think I get it now.

Keep the comments coming if you've got more.

I was sold on the Prophet after seeing SonicState's spectacular review of the P'08 http://insidesynthesis.blogspot.com/200 ... state.html

But then I sat through KeyBoard Wizard's 'demo' of the TI: http://vimeo.com/1149046 (there are several parts so if you have the time, have a look).