Rogue power supply

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Niko

Rogue power supply

Post by Niko » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 am

we have found a Rogue but without power supply. It is actual Oskar's one but unfortunately lost some years in a basement. And the power supply is gone.
can anybody help to find a suitable power supply?

Or what do we need to bring the Rogue back to life? I assume 12V AC transformer should be ok? And what's about the polarity on the connector?

Thank you for your help.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

electrojoe

Re: Rogue power supply

Post by electrojoe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 am

Hi,
Actually, you will need a 24v power supply with 500m.
The polarity is irrelevant because it is AC.

Also once you get a power adapter, connect it to the Rouge then plug it
into the AC outlet on the wall.
If you do it in reverse you will (temporarily while plugging it in) short out the power adapter, and that is
never a good idea.

Hope this helps.
Gerry

dave500

Post by dave500 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 am

You can find them on ebay but there not cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/replacement-power-A ... 483a14822f
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:48 pm

A while back I found this link here at this forum:
24 VAC power adapter at Jamco
I purchased two of them and they work great.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30 am

Hi,

many thanks for the tips. Actually we should find a "normal" transformer with 220V AC in and 24V and 500mA AC out. But, of course we need an input plug which is compatible with the standard Schuko-power socket and the 3.5mm TS (mono) connector for the output.

And here, photographs of the carton in which the Rogue was stored for many years. If we get the power supply we'll try whether the Rogue is still alive... I cross the fingers!
Rogue carton with moisture influence
Rogue carton with moisture influence
Attachments
DSC00005.JPG
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 am

just an update on this issue:
I've got a 220V-24V AC 850mA-Transformer with Schuko-plug and a separate 3.5mm mono connector from Conrad Electronic in Munich last Saturday. Now I need to soldering the 3.5mm connector onto the output lead. And then I just have to move from Munich to Frankfurt (because the Rogue is located in Offenbach, near Frankfurt) to try whether the Rogue is still alive. But at the moment the Eyjafjallajökull influenced the airport in Munich again. So I'm waiting for better weather.

benrebel

Post by benrebel » Tue May 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi guys,

I need some advices...
I'm kind of super extremely sad: I'm living in the UK so to plug my Rogue from the US, I've plugged it using an adaptor.
The adaptor seems to have done some damages to the transformer of the Rogue (I'm not sure) and the Rogue is not working anymore.
I've opened the transformer of the Rogue and it smells really bad (no fuse in it), but the Rogue itself seems to be normal.

So, my questions:
- do you think the transformer is dead but the Rogue is still alive?
- do you think the transformer can be changed by on of these linked above (even the 1000mA)?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 am

Hi Ben,
bad smell sounds not so good. If you had used an US trafo it was probably set for 110V. But in europe (believe it or not to which the UK belongs too) 220V is the usual main voltage value. Maybe this circumstance blown up your trafo. So I may would suggest to try a 220V to 24V AC trafo. If it can deliver 1A (1000 mA) it should be no problem. The power requirements described in the Rogue service manual mentioned 24V AC nominal, 28V AC maximum, 50-60Hz. The power consumtion is 6 watts which means 24V x 0.5A (= 12 watts) should be o.k.. So a transformer which is able to supply 1A wil be certainly sufficiant.

Maybe the fuse in the UK-type-main plug connector is blown as well? When I was in London some years ago I had to assemble a little bedside lamp I bought in a lamp shop, with a suitable connector (strange, very strange habit to sell electrical products without a power connector!). Of course the fuse inside the connector I've got from a connector shop located at the other end of London was blown immediately after switch on the lamp. Fortunately I had some aluminium foil from my chocolate remaining and so I could solve this problem sufficiantly... .

benrebel

Post by benrebel » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks Niko for the quick answer...
Which transformer do you suggest as a replacement:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ctId=10102
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/replacement-power-A ... 483a14822f

A 1000mA is not going to burn the Rogue?

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed May 19, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Ben,

the Jameco ADU 240100 is obviously a trafo with a primary voltage (input) of 120 VAC (suitable for the US). So I would not recommend it for europe (and the UK which belongs to europe as well...).

The other mentioned type via ebay did not specify the primary voltage. Although it is mentioned as suitable for a Rogue the domestic main voltage needs to be considered. But the kind of contacts shown on the photograph which actually shoud be inserted into the main power indicates an US voltage system (120V) to me. So again, not recommended to use in the UK.

I've bought a trafo from our local electronic shop conrad (primary voltage 220V AC, secondary voltage 24V AC, maximum current 850mA). You certainly will find some similar shops in the UK as well. Again, all AC! Not DC!

http://www.conrad.com/

However the output connector I had to solder it by myself. The Rogue needs a 3.5mm TS Mono connector (similar to the connector of a MP3-headphone, not stereo but mono). The polarity is not important because it is AC (it always change the polarity with the frequency of the AC voltage, which is 50Hz in europe)

The indication of the maximum current (in units of amperes, e.g. 800mA or 1000mA, m stands for mili or 1/1000) is not critical herewith. It just shows the ability of the maximum current (not voltage) a device (in that case a transformer) can supply. The Rogue needs a power (product of voltage and current (V x A), measured in watts) of 6 watts. The other important value is the voltage the Rogue needs. This is 24Volts. So for the required power of 6 watts a minimum current of 250mA may be o.k. (24 x 0.25 = 6) but it is just at the border of functionality. Therefore some more extra current is helpful. A trafo with 800mA (or 0.8Ampere) or more (e.g. 1Ampere or 1000mA) should be selected.

Again the Rogue power supply is not a type of power supply you may can use for a laptop, MP3 player, mobile phone etc. These devices needs DC instead of AC. This is important. The Rogue needs AC voltage.

wirrbeltier

Post by wirrbeltier » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey Moog Forum People,

I'm having a similar problem here - got an old moog Rogue as a present, lacking the power supply. So far googling around mainly has left me with some posts about pretty invasive modifications in order to get the power into the moog - more than i dare to do myself, since my experience with soldering and electronics are limited. As i live in Europe, I have to find a solution that works with 230V mains voltage.
Basically to date i could only find one supply that puts out stabilized AC current at the required voltage/amperage: (beware though, the site is in german, and the shop doesn't deliver abroad: http://www.netzgeraet.de/index.html?ste ... _v__ac.htm ).

I also did find a few supplies that put out non-stabilized current - I imagine they're not much more than a transformer and perhaps a few fuses. However, i can also imagine that a non-stabilized power source could induce audible noise/hum/whatever in the synth, and put more stress on the electronics.
I've seen some people in the forums recommending non-stabilized supplies (e.g. "wall-wart" form factor devices), so perhaps there's someone willing to share experiences with one of those?

Thanks in advance, anyways. :)

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 am

here is an updat on this issue. We now could manage to run the Rogue using a new transformer (purchased from Conrad Elektronik). The only minor problem was to find a suitable connector (mono-earphone type) with a small outer diameter to fit into the rear hole for the power input. Again the transformer (better word instead of power supply I guess) needs to have 24V output voltage (and maybe 850mA current). The polarity is not important as we have AC (not DC).
And by the way, it is amazing to see (or better to hear) that the Moog Rogue is still working perfect, although it was stored in a basement and had bad contact with some flood water (see pictures of the original box at earlier posts). Invincible!
And here is a current foto, showing Oskar using the Moog Rogue as a sound processor for his bass guitar.
Oskar and Mogg Rogue.jpg

joseph_pie

Post by joseph_pie » Fri May 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi, I have very similar issue. I have a moog rogue which came with an official moog 3 pin (UK) power supply (presumably same as American (24v 3.5mm input) but with different plug. I've stupid lost it (although it wasn't working great, power kept cutting in and out, had to tape input in place to even come close to keeping it powered) so have been hunting for a replacement. Seems very hard to find a UK 24v ac supply with suitable 3.5mm input so am considering buying an American one... But the whole US to UK conversion thing I find pretty confusing, can I just use an American 24v ac 3.5mm supply into a US to UK converter? What confuses me is that it doesn't just convert plug type, it also converts - or steps down - 240v (apparently US standard voltage) to 110v (UK), might be obvious to some of you but I know nothing of this stuff.

I would have thought that as this moog was obvs for UK market due to uk power supply then no voltage step down would be required?? Or is this only with regards to the power supply? Or am I over thinking this, will the US supply with the step down converter be fine?

Any help would be so so appreciated I've emailed many synth repair and power supply suppliers and no-one seems to know or care. I think it would be far better and preferable to me to just get a UK supply but it seems thats not possible. Thank you! Please help!