using Rogue like a Taurus II

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hieronymous

using Rogue like a Taurus II

Post by hieronymous » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:52 am

Hey everybody! I need some advice. I have a Rogue, which I love. While I would love some Taurus pedals (I or II), I don't see myself buying them anytime soon - although recently there were three Taurus IIs selling on EBay at once :shock:, I live in Japan, and I was thinking of a creative solution:

Get something like the Kenton Pro Solo MIDI to CV converter, and use a MIDI pedalboard (like the Roland PK5?) to control the Rogue. Costwise, it should run about 500 US dollars (assuming I can find the PK5 - having trouble locating it on the Roland Japan site - hoping they haven't discontinued it!).

:?:My question is: has anyone done something like this? It seems kinda bass-ackwards, but I've already got the Rogue...

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:25 am

Of cause this is possible. I am using an old ELKA PM-13 (still searching for a manual) doing so sometimes. But the Rogue isn't that powerfull in bass sounds as the original Moog Taurus. There is nothing sounding that bold and with balls as the real thing. Even a Minimoog wound sound like the Taurus. Maybe this is due to the different oscilators used in the original Taurus. These are totally different in the schematics from a Minimoog or the Rogue. And the filter isn't a 100% copy of the Minimoog. But uses the same concept of a transistor leadder.

So give your idea a try. But don't think your selfmade bass pedal synth will sound like a original Taurus. But it will sound very close to a Taurus II I think. But I never heard a Moog Rogue and a Taurus II side by side or within the same month to test it.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:14 pm

Hi QWave - thanks for the encouragement!

Fortunately, I'm NOT expecting to sound like a Taurus I - I've used my Rogue for drones, etc., so I know what to expect sound-wise. I find that running it through the MoogerFooger Phaser really beefs up the sound.

Maybe instead of saying I want to turn my Rogue into a Taurus, I should say that I want to be able to play my Rogue with my feet...

I'm still a little concerned, as I have NO experience with MIDI. Also, my Rogue has a slight tuning problem - something to do with the scaling? If I get the two oscilators in tune at one point of the keyboard, when I switch octaves they get way out of tune. I downloaded a manual that kind of addresses this, but haven't had the guts to try anything yet...

MC

Post by MC » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:24 pm

Yeah, your scaling is off. Calibrating isn't hard with the manual in hand.

Look into a Fatar pedalboard, they're cheaper. They have 13 and 17 note versions.

I love my Taurus I pedals (signs off to go pound on some Taurus preset notes :twisted:

FisticuffsUK

Post by FisticuffsUK » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:38 pm

We just had someone consign two bass pedal boards spb-2's I think But I cannot find the manufacturer or any info on how to tell this guy to price them. The sound they make through a giant stack of hartke 10's is pretty incredible. Any know anything about these?

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:42 am

Thanks MC - I would definitely love to get the 17 note Fatar, but I'm hoping that since I'm in Japan I should be able to get the Roland pedals for about what they go for in the States, whereas I haven't seen the Fatar stuff here, and even if I did I'm sure it would be at least 150%-200% US price...

SOMEDAY (after I move back to the US) I would love to get a Taurus I, and do intend to get a Voyager at some point - just not right now. Actually, for what I do, the Rogue works fine. (I've got a Micro in the US too, at a friend's studio. I can't complain, except that I can't control them with my feet! :D )

vorlon42

Post by vorlon42 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:17 pm

MC wrote:Look into a Fatar pedalboard, they're cheaper. They have 13 and 17 note versions.
I'd love to see a full AGO pedalboard -- 25 notes (2 octaves) or more -- set up for MIDI output.
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

evoged

Kenton Pro Solo for Rogue

Post by evoged » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:53 pm

I had two sets of Taurus 1 pedals upgraded to Midi using the Kenton Pro Solo Midi to CV converter. Obviously I needed to make a factory visit at Kenton to have the internal mods wired up (to be honest I didn't trust anyone else to do it!). Both sets have worked faultlessly with their midi conversion ever since; so I would say the Kenton Pro solo should work just fine for your Moog Rogue.

Good luck..