Moog Prodigy Issue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
truthawakens

Moog Prodigy Issue

Post by truthawakens » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 am

i love my moog prodigy but there is one problem with it... the modulation wheel does not function. i've taken it apart but i'm not sure if it needs replacing or what. the wheel turns but nothing happens.

does the modulation wheel do the same thing as the modulation knob?
if not - where can i find parts for a moog prodigy?

acorkos

Re: Moog Prodigy Issue

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:01 am

make sure the OSCILLATOR MOD and/or FILTER MOD switches are on....they need to be on for the mod wheel to have any effect. and turn the MOD RATE control up halfway or so, too.

truthawakens

Post by truthawakens » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am

hum... both are on but it still doesn't seem to work... does the mod wheel do the same thing as the mod rate knob?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 am

truthawakens wrote:...does the mod wheel do the same thing as the mod rate knob?
no...the mod rate knobs adjusts the speed of the LFO from slow to fast. the mod wheel lets you dial in the amount of LFO modulation...

truthawakens

Post by truthawakens » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 am

i hear modulation when i flip the modulation switch - the modulation wheel must be set at some volume, maybe the middle... is there a default volume if the mod wheel doesn't function? I am afraid of loosing the flat head screw on the knob - it seems like it is on the very tight - i don't know if that would do any good. any suggestions?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

i would leave the wheel alone....check the pot, making sure there are 3 wires coming from it, and that the plug those wires connect to is securely connected to the main PCB. if you have a meter, check the pot (10k) to make sure it's still working...

http://www.hylander.com/images/schemati ... Manual.pdf

the schematic is on the last page...mod wheel at the bottom, around the middle (l-r)

truthawakens

Post by truthawakens » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

i'll have to check that - do you think if i can still hear modulation when i flip the switch that the pot works and it may be a connection issue? or can the pot not work and you can still hear modulation?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 pm

a pot is a variable resistor....the mechanism which causes the variation may be broken, leaving the pot functioning more like a fixed-value resistor. if this were the sutuation, the modulation circuit would function, but you'd lose the ability to alter the amount of modulation

truthawakens

Post by truthawakens » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:55 am

well - i fixed the issue today. after checking all the connections - i went back to the screw - which was cross threaded. basically, the wheel was moving but the resistor was not... by adjusting the screw, for some reason it gave it resistance and started to work! maybe stuck over time... i bought this prodigy with a broken knob and the mod wheel not working - now both are FIXED - how's that for added value! Thanks for time....

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 am

sweet....added value is always a good thing :D