Oberheim Two voice

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
gazer

Re: Oberheim Two voice

Post by gazer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:32 am

The new two voice will have an updated 16 step sequencer that can split and be used as two 8 steps or a 10 step and two steps, or... I asked him if the sequencer would have cv outs to control a third or possibly fourth patch panel SEM While you play the two voices of the synth with the keyboard and he said "hey that's a good idea." Tom O rules. I kept this secret for like six months but since the beans are spilled... I can't imagine he'd mind it has been his plan since the beginning and has been fairly open with us SEM owners. The mp201 works as a nice midi to cv converter for a patch panel sem plus then you have two cv outs left for what ever you fancy. Tom is so stoked about the two voice it's awesome. He's really funny. Like a nice grandpa that is super tech smart.

Paul Norheim

Post by Paul Norheim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks, DontBelievetheHype!

I am less interested in the coming dual voice SEM than in using the single voice SEM with lots of CV ins and out. It would be great together with my Voyager RME - a 5 oscillator synth with different filters...

But since my RME always remains in a rack at home, it would also be nice to use a Dark Energy or MP-201 as MIDI interface, (sometimes together with the CP-251 and other foogers), when I want to play somewhere else. Add a polyphonic DSI Tetra, perhaps even the coming Mopho keyboard (making it a 5-voice synth), and you have a great, compact mobile rig with exciting modular possibilities and analogue polyphony.

These are welcome developments in the current revival of analogue: extremely compact monophonic synths like the Mopho (DSI), the Dark Energy (Dopefer), and the New-Old Oberheim SEM, as well as the extremely compact, and relatively cheap polyphonic Tetra (DSI).

I guess it's the synth makers' response to the laptop generation using soft synths.

But this is no either-or: We can have the best of both worlds if we want to.

Paul Norheim

Post by Paul Norheim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:46 am

Reading gazer's last post, I guess I am more interested in the two voice machine than I previously thought. It's also great to see this kind of dialogue between customers and synth makers.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:22 am

Paul Norheim wrote:Reading gazer's last post, I guess I am more interested in the two voice machine than I previously thought. It's also great to see this kind of dialogue between customers and synth makers.
I think manufacturers have in many cases started seeing the light when it comes to how the the internet has changed the market. If you build it, they will buy it.

Obviously there is a fine line here, and often left to consumers' own devices you'd get this:

But there is increasingly more and more middle ground. Truly valuable feedback from your users and enthusiasts in REAL-TIME as ideas and concepts start becoming fleshed out is really boon, and IMO one of the biggest reasons the analog-resurgence has persisted through the late 90s and early '00s.

The real question is whether or not the big 3 (Roland/Yamaha/Korg) will nut up and start hiring back the engineers needed for them to get on board; Korg has promised a very cursory but promising offering with the monotron this year. Who's next, and when will we see a serious offering from them?

Anywho, it's a great time to be neck-deep in the world of analog. awesome. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

eXode

Post by eXode » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 am

This is cool bananas.

Paul Norheim

Post by Paul Norheim » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 am

ctrlshft,

Well said. The internet forums and the manufacturers of analog synth modules (small businesses, often working from their own kitchen) are taylor made for each other.

otto

Post by otto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 pm

soundxplorer wrote:Let's see...

$900 for a MIDI SEM
$600 for a bare panel SEM
$300 (?) for a keyboard

So a 2 Voice will have to cost around $1,800 - $2,000, somewhere in there.
I'd still buy one of these instead of a Prophet '08. I can't wait to see it.

EDIT: Oh, and the original 2 Voice had a sequencer built in. I wonder if he is going to do that.
I hate to say it but I think your estimate is on the optimistic side. It won’t just be 2 sems and a keyboard. As you stated, I’ll bet there will be a midi type unit similar to what is used on his current midi-sem, it would only make good business sense that he would use a developed idea like that anywhere he can. He’s also going to put in a sequencer and a mixer. Remember, the SEM is a fairly basic synth and to get one with a power supply and midi or patched you’re talking $900. So to get 2 plus a sequencer, mixer, case and keyboard I think you’re talking well over $2k easy (and quite possibly voyager territory). Maybe if Tom looks into more volume production, prices will drop. If it’s any consolation I hope I’m wrong.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm

So when is he reissuing the OB-X ? Same guts with modern updates. That sucker would SELL!!!!!

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

No OB-X reissue without a reissue of the CEM3310 ADSR ICs.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

eXode

Post by eXode » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 am

I'd actually love to see a new OB-1 as well... >:)

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 am

MC wrote:No OB-X reissue without a reissue of the CEM3310 ADSR ICs.
How much of a difference between the CEM3310 in the OB-X and CEM3320 in the OB-Xa?

eXode

Post by eXode » Fri May 14, 2010 4:28 am

kidgloves2 wrote:
MC wrote:No OB-X reissue without a reissue of the CEM3310 ADSR ICs.
How much of a difference between the CEM3310 in the OB-X and CEM3320 in the OB-Xa?
The biggest difference would be that the CEM3310 is an ADSR and the CEM3320 is a FILTER. So quite a big difference imho. :P

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:53 am

Lol, well then :oops:

I thought the OB-X was discrete analog. Is it discrete, IC or a hybrid? Can Tom recreate it?

eXode

Post by eXode » Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 am

kidgloves2 wrote:Lol, well then :oops:

I thought the OB-X was discrete analog. Is it discrete, IC or a hybrid? Can Tom recreate it?
I'm not entirely sure, I think that the filter was based on the SEM LP and from what I know the entire synth was mainly discrete components. OB-Xa was the first Oberheim synth to use CEM IC's afaik.

eXode

Post by eXode » Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 am

eXode wrote:
kidgloves2 wrote:Lol, well then :oops:

I'm not entirely sure, I think that the filter was based on the SEM LP and from what I know the entire synth was mainly discrete components. OB-Xa was the first Oberheim synth to use CEM IC's afaik.
I guess Tom could recreate it, but it would probably very expensive, seeing as it was well over 4000 USD for just the 4 voice version back in the day.