Connecting multiple keyboards & Moog to MIDI & Compu

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
TheRocco

Connecting multiple keyboards & Moog to MIDI & Compu

Post by TheRocco » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 pm

I will be getting a new Voyager soon and what to add it to my current home studio set-up. I haven't used my computer and keyboard in quite a while and am a bit rusty on how to hook everything up.

I've seen all the great Studio pictures you guys post here, sometimes showing 2, 3, 4 or even more Keyboards & Work Stations and several Analog Synthesizers or more--and everything looks hooked up and ready to go.

Wondering what Mixers, how many Stereo Inputs needed and what kind of USB MIDI Interface, you folks are using to get everything hooked up?

Currently I have an old Korg N1 keyboard workstation and a EMU 2000 Virtual Orchestra (with added Peter Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra ROM), a little Behinger Mixer, MIDI Interface, PC running Cubase, 4-input Break-Out Box to Soundcard, and a pair of Alesis M1 Powered Monitors.

I will be getting rid of the Korg N1 for a new Kurzweil PC3X at the same time as getting the Voyager, but still want to use the EMU module. That makes 3 things that need to be connected to a Mixer/Monitors, the USB MIDI Interface, Break-Out Box to Computer.

Here's an old picture of my little bedroom Studio of the old gear (I'll be sure to post a New pic just as soon as the Voyager and Kurzweil arrive and I get everything hooked up):

Right now all the Stereo Inputs are being used on the little Behinger Mixer, and I think I will also need more MIDI ins/outs.

I figure I will need at Least 3 Stereo Inputs on a new mixer to run the Voyager, the Kurzweil and the EMU all in Stereo and power them to the Alesis Monitor. I might as well get a bigger Behinger, maybe one with build-in FXs. Is the Behringer XENYC 1202 FX Mixer a decent inexpensive choice?

I think a slighter bigger MIDI in/out box like hte MOTU Micro Lite USB Interface will have enough ins/out to run at 3 instruments (EMU module, Voyager, Kurzweil).

So my question to those who are running multiple keyboards and synthesizers--what Mixer, MIDI interface are You using? I've been out of the loop for a long time and am not up on the latest gadgets.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:20 am

If you want to record all of your instruments separately, get a new interface. Check out Presonus, Motu, Apogee, RME, Metric Halo,... You might want to get a larger MIDI interface, or just use the one you have and connect everything with MIDI Thru and set each instrument to a different channel. I personally use a Presonus Firestudio Project and a MOTU MIDI Express 128.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 pm

You should really check this guys site out if you have to ask that question, Rocco. One man's treasure is another man's trash, but this guy is very informative about different methods and equipment used to recording in a home studio environment.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 am

Rocco, my studio is entirely hardware-based, so I can't help there, but I do have to chime in just to let you know that I dig your screen saver pix!

TheRocco

Post by TheRocco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks. Got the picture from the synthesizers.com site (hope it's ok to mention them here). I think they do beautiful new modular instruments, so beautiful you will want them in your living room!