MY FIRST MOOG - Advice and Knowledge Welcome

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Do you find the MiniMoog Voyager an easy synth to learn how to harness?

Yes- its very user friendly
33%
Yes- watching a MOOG tutorial and a little research made everything clear
58%
Somewhat - It's learn-able, but took about a year and a half to finally understand what was going on
No votes
No- I've had my Minimoog Voyager for 3 years and all it does is collect dust - i dont get it
8%

Total votes: 12

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:18 pm

till wrote:It is way easier for beginners to learn on a synth without patch memory. So that each and every knob and switch is actually showing the value that is used right now. Kind of wysiwyg for synths.

I learned the basics on an EMS AKS on my high school. Later on my Moog Prodigy.
The Voyager's somewhat invisible modulations sources and destinies and the hidden special menu functions give you way more possibilities then you might see on the front panel. But these are not recommended for absolute beginners in synths.
Good point. The Little Phatty is a great 1st analog synth for that very reason. The pots have visual feedback of current setting so that when you tweak a knob you can go 'from' a given point and spinning the select knob to bring up different patches instantly shows setting.

And the Old School, is just that. WYSIWYG

I'm not quite sure I understand how you can bring up a patch on he Voyager and further tweak the knob in relation to other settings to visualize how the patch will change but I guess having nearly 1000 patches to choose from lends itself to playing more and not so much tweaking on the fly.

I know the analog board is in common between Old School and standard Voyager but the souls of these two machines could not be more different.

I know from experience that when the added S+H and noise as mod options from WITHIN the tiny display and menu structures of the LP in 2.0 it opened a new world of extensible options and sort of broke the pure model that existed previously.

Certain features are hidden within the ghost in the machine like the Arp, etc. and that's fine, you can't have a button or control for absolutely everything; so you're basically stuck between having exactly what a synth has when it ships, or a field upgradable software driven synth with new features (and unfortunately... bugs!).

I can't choose...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Use REAL PANEL PARAM on the voyager and you have WYSIWYG. The knobs are live. (But you can still use the 'hidden' modulation sources, too)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

NewColonyAnt

Post by NewColonyAnt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks again for all the advice. We are eagerly awaiting this badboy to arrive so in the meantime the education has been great. We fully intend on utilizing our HD cam to have a digital notebook so we don't always have to rely on memory on-the-fly. Many pics and videos to come once we get some good time under our belt.

Your feedback is still appreciated so if there's more knowledge that will help us along, we'd love to hear it!

BadAlibi

Post by BadAlibi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm

I too was a synth beginner around 6 months ago, after deciding to get a synth instead of a mac for christmas. Walked into guitar center, played with the lfo rate knob on a korg ms2000b for 2 hours, and I was hooked, not even knowing the name of the parameter. In short, I learned by ear what everything did. Then I went here www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm to impress my friends/bandmates with the technical terms. My advice is to spend hours (even entire days/nights/weeks/years) with your wonderful instrument and twiddle knobs until you find something you love.

NewColonyAnt

Post by NewColonyAnt » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:01 am

Wow. What a great website. Thanks for that. Does anybody have a link/site where we can downloand the manual for the Voyager? We bought from a private owner and there is no manual with it.....

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 am

NewColonyAnt wrote:Wow. What a great website. Thanks for that. Does anybody have a link/site where we can downloand the manual for the Voyager? We bought from a private owner and there is no manual with it.....
One of the great things about this company is that, while they do sell paper manuals, all of the manuals are available for download as PDF on the Product pages. So goto "Product" at the top, then choose a product on the left.

Often (such as in the case with Voyager), there are many options and upgrades so it is confusing, but have a look at this link for the actual Voyager manual:

http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/voy_us ... _combo.pdf

...and this link for the place where it's posted which also includes 3.5 release notes.

http://www.moogmusic.com/selectseries/

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

i don't own voyager, but i am a happy LP player, and i have to say that playing synth has brought a spark of life in to my music that i was looking for. i am a one man band and i still have to do some programing, but now i program in a different way, because playing the instrument puts me in a different state of mind, and makes me stay in touch with my self. it is saving me from falling inside the digital wormholes of losing initial energy created by original idea.

so i say: forget cope paste, and fell the freedom of the moment :)
was i pushed or did i fall ?