That Moog look..

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
anoteoftruth

That Moog look..

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 am

Am I the only one that thinks Moog's are the only good looking keyboard/synths? I know its all relative, but I personally think the LP and Voyager are beautiful to look at/touch/play.

I was just looking around online for other synths, and aside from Moogs and maybe the prophet 08, nothing really jumps out at me.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 am

I never did like the look of the Phatty but a partially non Moog synth that to me just looks fabulous to me is the Crumar Spirit.

I also love the new Buchla systems.....those look so much different from Moog but really pleasing to me in their own way. They really have that Starship Panel thing going, especially the Kinesthetic input panel that I think it great.

Something about the Prophet 10 really strikes my fancy too.

I guess I harken back for the days of those big monster synths like that. Theres nothing like a huge panel full of knobs.

I also like some of those customized CMOS synths that really have that antiquated look, like an 1830's cash register or something....the brass with the fancy engravings.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:24 am

Ok, I shoulda made more clear I was talking mostly just about keyboard synths, not exactly the big modular rack.. I too am still pretty damn impressed with those haha.

But to me the LP looks sexy. Especially when comparing it to the look of other great synths like the Andromeda.. I'm sure some people like it, but the Andromeda's look to me is hideous. As well as DSI's poly evolver... In fact there are'nt very many keyboard out there I think really compete with Moog's imo.

I get that this is totally relative, and is just my personal taste too btw.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:34 am

Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:50 am

I like the look of the Blofeld. Access synths have always looked good to me as well.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 am

The Korg Radias is the only other new synth I like the looks of along with the Voyagers. It sort of reminds me of the Euro rack modulars. I've never been a fan of the plastic case synths. The era of metal cases and wooden panels is for the most part over. I'm afaird the next evolution will try to follow the Phatty or the Nemo with odd shaped plastic machines that just (to me) don't look right.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I love the look of the Phatty, but yeah, the Radias looks GREAT - especially when it's all fired up and you have a sequence running. And I love the adjustable panel too and the fact that there's enough room on it to put a laptop!

That Waldorf looks GORGEOUS!

I love the look of the old Memorymoog and even the Polymoog.

I think Korg's new SV1 looks really cool. Especially their 73 key version. Funky and compact.

I also like the look of the Nord Stage, my Prophet '08 SE, and the understated appeal of my S90ES and especially the Kawai MP8II - almost Synclavier like, that one.

But yeah, I love the look and vibe of the Moog stuff. I can't wait for my Taurus 3's!!

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:47 pm

peterkadar wrote: That Waldorf looks GORGEOUS!
Thanks. Those are custom wood end pieces, taken from the North Africain yew bush, the taxus baccate.

8)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Mitchell Chastain

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

One of my favorite newer synths is the Polar TI. It looks great... all metal and wood, and is very heavy, to be so small......

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:25 am

Some classics that I thought looked cool:

1) JD-800. Why did I sell it. WHY!!!

2) Casio CZ-101 and CZ-1. That blue screen was so cool and mysterious to me when I was 13. All the buttons and stuff... It looked exciting!!

3) Korg MS2000B. Never liked the blue finish of the original. The black one looked so much more pro and classy. It was a pretty nice synth, but the keyboard response was sluggish on layered sounds.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 am

FWIW, the LP, Voyager, Waldorf, Virus, and Andromeda synths were ALL designed by Axel Hartmann... http://www.design-box.de/de/sonic_synthesizers.php

-andrew bunny

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 am

bunnyman wrote:FWIW, the LP, Voyager, Waldorf, Virus, and Andromeda synths were ALL designed
by Axel Hartmann... http://www.design-box.de/de/sonic_synthesizers.php
What a great bit of synth trivia. I had no idea. Thanks!
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

I love the look of the Little Phatty, and I prefer the red/orange lights of the Stage. Wooden ends would be nice, but I like it even without.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:47 pm

soundxplorer wrote:I love the look of the Little Phatty, and I prefer the red/orange lights of the Stage. Wooden ends would be nice, but I like it even without.
I agree.. Sometimes inbetween recording takes, I just stare at it and touch it haha.. creepy? not sure, but I love it! ahha.