Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy a Polyphonic Moog?

Most definately!
63%
Definately not!
15%
Maybe, if.... (please specify)
19%
Only if.....(specify)
3%

Total votes: 62

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

EricK wrote:I have a Rhodes (suitcase, roundtop). A Voyager is too heavy and slides around, AND theres no room for Taurus pedals underneath.

Remember, this is about the Constellation system.
I do too and I have a Model D on it with no problem.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Is yours a round top? If I put a Voyager on mine, I feel like it will hold, but I also feel like over a period of time it gravity will ruin the top because it dips under the weight of the Voyager.

And the Voyager slides around. Even the Micro slides around, it rocks when you play it, but th Voyager even moreso because with the panel up it is even more off balance than the Micro. Just the force necessary to pull the panel forward is enough to pull the Voyager forward and off the Rhodes.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Eric, I couldn't find any photos, but there are at least two old solutions to your Rhodes problem.

1. Make little bridge arms that rest on the rear wood frame and distribute the weight along the curved top. You can make one large platform, but several platforms a couple of inches wide where the feet of the top synthesizer's rest will work just fine and are easy to transport - could even fit in the closed Rhodes case wrapped and resting on the keyboard.

2. Velcro extenders with rubber bottoms to the front and back bottoms of your synthesizers so that they distribute the weight at the front and back of the Rhodes top and do not rest on the round peak.

I used both solutions decades ago, but have flat tops now. Donald Fagen had a mini podium flattop platform on his curved Rhodes, but now he is using the flat top.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I use a thin piece of wood extended across the length of the Rhodes (Mk I, 73 Suitcase) to keep the Andromeda steady. The Voyager is quite a bit deeper at the base, so not too sure how well that will sit on top.

If you have another stand, you could put it behind the Rhodes and have the Moog sitting half-and-half, with planks of wood to balance if your stand height is "quantized" ;)

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:20 pm

All I know is ...

I just helped my buddy fix his Memorymoog Plus (for free BTW:) )
and that thing is just badass! Sound like no Poly synth I've ever heard. It was the very last revision and was super stable when I was done with it!!

I would love to see the NEW Memorymoog 2.0 (2011 baby!)

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Nick Montoya wrote:All I know is ...

I just helped my buddy fix his Memorymoog Plus (for free BTW:) )
and that thing is just badass! Sound like no Poly synth I've ever heard. It was the very last revision and was super stable when I was done with it!!

I would love to see the NEW Memorymoog 2.0 (2011 baby!)

- Nick

2011 I wish!
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Yes it is a round top and it does indeed sag depending on where you put it but the top is an elastic material that bounces back. But you can put it on there in such a way that it doesn't ride against the tone bars. You can also place things directly on top of the harp if you're careful. Just be sure none of the tone bars are being touched because they'll mute the notes on those bars. I actually have 4 Rhodes pianos right now.. although 2 of them are projects. You can put reinforcing tops on them too but so far it hasn't been necessary at all, and, BTW the Model D weighs much more than a Voyager (although it is much less versatile).
latigid on wrote:I use a thin piece of wood extended across the length of the Rhodes (Mk I, 73 Suitcase) to keep the Andromeda steady. The Voyager is quite a bit deeper at the base, so not too sure how well that will sit on top.

If you have another stand, you could put it behind the Rhodes and have the Moog sitting half-and-half, with planks of wood to balance if your stand height is "quantized" ;)
The voyager isn't any deeper than the model d is, but it might improve the ergonomics a bit if it was set back a tiny bit.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:13 am

anoteoftruth wrote:2011 I wish!
Yeah, we need a polysynth just in time before 2012! :D
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 pm

I think its a certainty that Moog will release a new analog polysynth - the technology has been established/refined for a number a years now.

Its not us mere mortals that will dictate the production of a polysynth....its the big name key players that are/have been requesting a new poly for some time. I know for a fact that R O'D is pressing for one - mono's and pedals are great....but there is a definite need for poly.

When market conditions pick up im sure we'll see one - maybe 2013/14 - expect a limited run of 1000-2000.

Mark my words...

DS
Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5 (rev 3.3), Moog Old School (s/n #0317), Yamaha DX7 MKII FD and Roland D50

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Klopfgeist wrote:
anoteoftruth wrote:2011 I wish!
Yeah, we need a polysynth just in time before 2012! :D
::facepalm::

I would like it before 2012 though. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

MC

Post by MC » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:I would like it before 2012 though. :)
Just don't release it on 4/15/2012

(hint: what famous event occurred 100 years ago on that date?)
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:57 pm

MC wrote:

The Government first rooked (collected income taxes) common folk?

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

I would suggest 4/20/2012

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 pm

EMwhite wrote:
MC wrote:

The Government first rooked (collected income taxes) common folk?
No.... it was the sinking of the Titantic.

If they were to "chose" a date, something like July 10 should be comsidered, (the birthday of Nikola Tesla) or August 27. (Leon Theremin)

8)
Last edited by analoghaze on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Why wait? I would suggest Summer NAMM of 2010 for the announcement, with production following in a year (or as soon as possible). And why a limited run? The Voyager has enjoyed a long life (and hopefully will continue to) , and when the poly finally does see the light of day, there are going to be people who order them early (me, for one), and others who may have to save up for years to afford theirs. If it turns out to be a well-engineered & great-sounding synth (of course it will!), it will be popular, & could remain in production for many years, seeing constant improvments & upgrades, like the Voyager, and hopefully become a staple product for Moog. I wouldn't even object to a rack or "stage" version ot the Taurus continuing on after the limited run is complete. Limited production = limited sales & thus limited income for Moog - why would any of us - especially Moog - want that?