Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy a Polyphonic Moog?

Most definately!
63%
Definately not!
15%
Maybe, if.... (please specify)
19%
Only if.....(specify)
3%

Total votes: 62

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 pm

MarkM wrote:I don't think Tetra or the likes are too revolutionary
Tetra doesn't really have any groundbreaking features, but the Evolver definitely does. The ability to combine sequenced wavetables with true analog oscillators with tons of modulation possibilities and various types of distortion.

I like the idea of the Arturia Origin a lot, but I don't think the idea was executed very well. Maybe Moog could make an "analog" Origin, with the ability to chose various Moog oscillators, filters, and effects, so you could put Polymoog oscillators through the Taurus filters, with some 104 delay thrown in. That would be awesome. (and polyphonic :lol: )
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Electrong wrote:I thought it was counter-intuitive..
Because it was polyphonic? :wink:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

EricK wrote:
Electrong wrote:I thought it was counter-intuitive..
Because it was polyphonic?
Nope that was ok, I'm talking about the filter section, primarily. It's been several years since I played a friend's Polymoog but as I recall I didn't like how it was split up into various bandwidths. Maybe some people enjoy that synth. They weigh a ton and things go wrong with them and then you've got a very expensive problem.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 pm

MarkM wrote:
MC wrote:
Electrong wrote:It also occurred to me that today, analog synths are no longer so forward-looking as they used to be. Whereas Bob Moog was considered a "synth pioneer," the analog synth--mono- and poly- -- are considered somewhat archaic, backward-looking instruments. Now they're considered a part of music tradition rather than being an upstart industry.
The same could be said for guitars, violins, trumpets, and the human voice.
I think that is the point he is trying to make. Perhaps "archaic" or "backward-looking" are the wrong terms. I think he meant to say they have become accepted as conventional instruments today.

I don't think Tetra or the likes are too revolutionary. After so many decades of technological and manufacturing breakthroughs, one would think there would be some pretty far out analogue synths, or at least more than there are now. I believe the general synth public's desire for traditional analogue synth sounds have prevented rapid innovation. I also think that new instruments, such as the Moog guitar, are a factor in spawning innovative music. I love what some soft synth designers are coming up with. I would love to see someone take a wild Reaktor synth and turn it into analogue hardware. However, I am certain it would be a costly venture. A remake of the Polymoog would be a step backward: been there, done that.
the Tetra has out of this world complex modulation capabilities for a compact analog environment... imagine what a modular with those capabilities would run you and I think you'll see it's pretty spectacular.

I'm not saying that there can't be improvements, or new breakthroughs, you made a great point about the Moog guitar, but at the same time, there's a lot of really cool stuff out there that wasn't available before a few years ago. Have you ever played an Andromeda, or Future Retro XS? Really phenominal machines.

IMO it sounds like what you're really looking for are more digital synths with groundbreaking ideas that extend beyond the analog domain... And I'm all for that, take a look at what Elektron is doing, imo the Octatrack is going to be HUGE when it's completed.
www.ctrlshft.com

superd2112

Re: Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

Post by superd2112 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:00 am

CTRLSHFT, does your Tetra have the same sequencer that is in the P-'08? I've been having lots of fun with the sequencer on my Prophet, and I'll probably end up getting the editor software to get the most out of it.

MoogMusicFan81

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 am

Per my vote, I'd buy one only if it at least 75% of the original Apollo design was included in it.

~Ben

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm

CTRLSHFT, does your Tetra have the same sequencer that is in the P-'08? I've been having lots of fun with the sequencer on my Prophet, and I'll probably end up getting the editor software to get the most out of it.
Same sequencer to my knowledge, yeah. The editor is CRUCIAL imo to getting into the good stuff, although on a proper 08 making patches is easy enough. The seq can do some wacky stuff though, it's sorta like 4 extra LFOs that have user editable wavetables. Weird sh*t is bound to happen. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm

The Prophet and the Tetra are both SERIOUS instruments that sound great. I think the Tetra in particular is an exceptional value. If I were going to edit on it, I'd want either the editor, or a P'08 to edit via poly chain.

In any case, they're great, and I think they represent excellent value for the money. The Tetra, with the overdrive and sub oscs is killer.

A polyphonic Moog would not be competition for DSI and vice versa, for me. I'd want a Moog poly because it would sound, feel and function like a Moog.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 am

You know, I got to thinking.

I opened he Taurus today and of everything, I was most suprised at how big it is. It has a heck of a footprint!

Underneath the Voyager it looks like its really way too big to do anything with.

THen I got to thinking about out discussion earlier in this thread about the size of a Polyphonic Moog. Anyone who looks at the Voyager and the Taurus and thinks that a Poly would be small........man I think it would really look like a bodybuilder with huge arms and legs and a tiny trunk.
The T3 definately isn't a space saver...so why would one think that a poly has to be as feature-laden as we might want in the tiniest of shells?

Just my two centimos.

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 am

Even if it was the size of a Polymoog, I'd be down with that. I might not take it on gigs, but it'd be a lot of fun to have in the studio!!

BTW, congrats on finally getting your T3's!! They're pretty amazing, aren't they?

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 am

I don't care if the new Moog poly the size of an aircraft carrier, I'll take one please! Thats one thing the Prophet '08 has going for it - you can easily lift it with one hand, and it is super-easy to fit & carry in a gig bag.

MarkM

Re:

Post by MarkM » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:44 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
MarkM wrote:
MC wrote:
Electrong wrote:It also occurred to me that today, analog synths are no longer so forward-looking as they used to be. Whereas Bob Moog was considered a "synth pioneer," the analog synth--mono- and poly- -- are considered somewhat archaic, backward-looking instruments. Now they're considered a part of music tradition rather than being an upstart industry.
The same could be said for guitars, violins, trumpets, and the human voice.
I think that is the point he is trying to make. Perhaps "archaic" or "backward-looking" are the wrong terms. I think he meant to say they have become accepted as conventional instruments today.

I don't think Tetra or the likes are too revolutionary. After so many decades of technological and manufacturing breakthroughs, one would think there would be some pretty far out analogue synths, or at least more than there are now. I believe the general synth public's desire for traditional analogue synth sounds have prevented rapid innovation. I also think that new instruments, such as the Moog guitar, are a factor in spawning innovative music. I love what some soft synth designers are coming up with. I would love to see someone take a wild Reaktor synth and turn it into analogue hardware. However, I am certain it would be a costly venture. A remake of the Polymoog would be a step backward: been there, done that.
the Tetra has out of this world complex modulation capabilities for a compact analog environment... imagine what a modular with those capabilities would run you and I think you'll see it's pretty spectacular.

I'm not saying that there can't be improvements, or new breakthroughs, you made a great point about the Moog guitar, but at the same time, there's a lot of really cool stuff out there that wasn't available before a few years ago. Have you ever played an Andromeda, or Future Retro XS? Really phenominal machines.

IMO it sounds like what you're really looking for are more digital synths with groundbreaking ideas that extend beyond the analog domain... And I'm all for that, take a look at what Elektron is doing, imo the Octatrack is going to be HUGE when it's completed.
Tetra has some very nice features, but it still isn't all that extreme to me.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 am

The Tetra IS cool and lets you do a lot of cool modulation routings and stuff, plus good sync, sequencing, feedback, and the audio mod. You can do a lot with one of those. But they aren't as crazy as the Moog stuff, especially once you interface a Voyager with a couple of 'foogers and some CP-251's thrown in for good measure. But we have to consider the price difference as well. Most people want good solid sound, and, in a small box like the Tetra, it'd be better for it to not offer too much, in a way.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Tetra is a great little synth for the money, and offers a reasonable amount of cool stuff. But nothing inspires me or makes time fly by as much as sitting in front of my wall of Moog!! :D

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:43 pm

With the lack of a Moog poly, I've been looking for other analog poly options.. (im not a big fan of buying vintage, only for the sole fact that I can't be bothered to bring things in for maintenance + the $$$) So I've really had my eye on the Tetra quite a bit.

Tetra, or Prophet 08.... that's the battle I got going on in my head right now.

The prophet's interface is what keeps me going back to it.. couple years ago I may have not minded the menu interface of the Tetra, but now that I've had a lot of Moog time... I think it's a huge advantage to have all the parameters right in front of you.. rather than having to mentally think about what you wanna do first, then find the menu's etc.

But the Tetra sound does sound amazing.. I like the sub osc's.. and it has a great price point.. if I bought a Prophet 08 rack, it would be roughly 1400-1600$ plus shipping.. The advantage of the Tetra I could buy one for 700$ + shipping, and add another one later on if I wanted the extra polyphony. (I'm pretty sure you can rack these puppies together too? though not sure how, I did see they have rack screw holes on the side)

But the only thing stopping me... is that whole interface thing..

And I keep asking myself... why oh why oh why oh why is there not a Moog option! I would LOVE to see a Moog option nuzzled in there as a alternative (it would be no question then)

I know we keep coming back to this... but... c'mon Moog.... There is obviously a market for this stuff. Wether or not it's a mammoth flat top synth like what Erick wants, or a nice Rack Module like I would want... People are waiting for a Moog poly... and it would hands down, leave no question for us, when we're looking for a poly analog synth.

I never thought twice about wether or not to get a Mopho or a LP... or a Studio Electronix SE-1X, or a Voyager RME... hands down, no question Moog wins. Give us the same option with Poly's.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:With the lack of a Moog poly, I've been looking for other analog poly options.. (im not a big fan of buying vintage, only for the sole fact that I can't be bothered to bring things in for maintenance + the $$$) So I've really had my eye on the Tetra quite a bit.

Tetra, or Prophet 08.... that's the battle I got going on in my head right now.

The prophet's interface is what keeps me going back to it.. couple years ago I may have not minded the menu interface of the Tetra, but now that I've had a lot of Moog time... I think it's a huge advantage to have all the parameters right in front of you.. rather than having to mentally think about what you wanna do first, then find the menu's etc.

But the Tetra sound does sound amazing.. I like the sub osc's.. and it has a great price point.. if I bought a Prophet 08 rack, it would be roughly 1400-1600$ plus shipping.. The advantage of the Tetra I could buy one for 700$ + shipping, and add another one later on if I wanted the extra polyphony. (I'm pretty sure you can rack these puppies together too? though not sure how, I did see they have rack screw holes on the side)

But the only thing stopping me... is that whole interface thing..

And I keep asking myself... why oh why oh why oh why is there not a Moog option! I would LOVE to see a Moog option nuzzled in there as a alternative (it would be no question then)

I know we keep coming back to this... but... c'mon Moog.... There is obviously a market for this stuff. Wether or not it's a mammoth flat top synth like what Erick wants, or a nice Rack Module like I would want... People are waiting for a Moog poly... and it would hands down, leave no question for us, when we're looking for a poly analog synth.

I never thought twice about wether or not to get a Mopho or a LP... or a Studio Electronix SE-1X, or a Voyager RME... hands down, no question Moog wins. Give us the same option with Poly's.
You might wanna consider waiting for the Mopho Keyboard (out in what, like a month or so now?), which will act as a full-fledged controller for the Tetra, plus give you another voice AND an audio input. Pricing I think is 800.
www.ctrlshft.com