Synth Madness

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
endocrine

Synth Madness

Post by endocrine » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:44 pm

I know everyone here will hate me, but I don't own a synth. I want one real bad, but the internet sucks and all I can find is stupid stuff like stage pianos and workstations. The catches are, I'm on a tight budget and I want it to have that great new wave/analog sound. It doesn't neccisarily have to be a Moog, but that would be cool. Do you guys know any that I should look at or some sites that would be helpful? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Goom

Post by Goom » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:51 pm

Well, if you want cheap analog, you can always hunt down a Roland JX3P, Korg Poly 6, Oberheim Matrix 6 (or 1000), or any number of others. If you really want Moog, there is the Satellite(I know..), or MG--1. The Moog Prodigy and Source are both really nice, but the price is about twice of what you'd pay for some of the above listed synths.

You can find all of these synths on Ebay (though you may have to wait on a Satellite to be listed).

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:50 am

Hi!

To be able to recommend a synthesizer I think you need to answer this questions.

1. Do you want a monophonic (one note at a time) or polyphonic (being able to play chords) synthesizer?
2. Must it necessary have to be a real analogue or would a virtual analogue work?
3. Are you looking for keyboard or rack version?
4. Should the sizer have knobs, sliders to edit the sounds or can you settle using some buttons and a display to edit you sounds?
5. How much are you willing to pay?

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:38 pm

1. polyphonic is cool but, but monophonic would be fine I think (I mostly want basses, leads, and noises).
2. Real analogues are perfered, but a realistic digital might be okay.
3. Keyboard.
4. I like lots of knobs, so I can tweak sounds as I play. I know some Rolands have an expandable thing with all the sliders, that would be fine.
5. $400 at most, but I've been looking at the $200-$300 range more. I work at Sonic, so I'm in a bit of a bind for any real cash.

I've been looking at the ARP Odyssey, and the Moog/Realistic Concertmate, and they look pretty good. Please provide pros and cons of both these synths.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:43 pm

Goom wrote:If you really want Moog, there is the Satellite(I know..)
What's that about?

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:43 am

Hi!

Here are a list of monophonic and polyphonic sizers that don’t cost a fortune are quit stable. The list only has sizers that cost under $400.

Monophonic:
1. Sequential Circuits Pro~One. Maybe the best monosynth ever. Lots of possibilities and sounds great. Basically the same sound generation as Prophet~5 Rev 3.)
2. Roland SH101. Fun little synth with sequencer, arpeggiator and guitar strap-on)
3. Roland SH2. Sound really warm
4. Yamaha CS15. Can make really cool sounds.
5. Roland ProMars MRS-2. A one voice Jupiter-4. Basic but sounds great and has memories.

Polyphonic:
1. Roland Juno-60. Sounds good even with only one DCO, no MIDI.
2. Korg Polysix. Very basic but sounds expensive thanks to SSM VCO/VCF, no MIDI.
3. Akai AX60. Harsh and cold sounding but can produce some great Fx/bass/lead sounds.
4. Sequential Prophet~600. Warm sounding with 2 VCOs, arpeggiator/sequencer, MIDI. Envelopes are slow. Bass sounds with fast attack are not possible.
5. Roland Juno-106. The filter doesn’t sound as good as Juno-60, good MIDI implementation.
6. Kawai SX-240. Sounds ok can make some interesting sounds and has MIDI.

More info:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:20 am

Why would we hate you for not owning a synth - especially when you want to get your hands on one?

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:13 pm

I don't know. Certain groups of people (especially some musicians) don't like new-comers. I'm very glad to know this isn't one of those groups.

Thanks alot to Demokid and Goom. You guys have been quite helpful.

flashgordan

another newcomer

Post by flashgordan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:08 am

This seems to be a nice group of people here so im gunna hop in and ask a question if you guys dont mind. Ive been heavy into guitar for about 9 years. But i recently started listening to this new band i love, they are called Motion City Soundtrack. Anyway all i know is they are into synth behind there guitar or between it. And absolutely love the sound they have. And i want to get into this stuff but i have no clue where to start. If anyone knows what they sound like that might help in recommending me where to start. The only way i know how to describe it is they have a higher pitched synth sound.

Thanks in advance - Blake

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:43 am

endocrine:
I’ll personally would go for a Pro~One since it sounds great, warm and fat and has a lot of modulation possibilities, arpeggiator and more. If I would by my first polyphonic sizer and didn’t need MIDI then I go for a Juno-60. The Ju-60 has a nice keyboard, looks retro and is quit stable.

Good luck!

If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask us!

Regards
Demokid

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:09 pm

By the way I'm not interested in midi at all.

To Blake: I'm sure these guys know alot more than me about good synth bands, but I would have to recomend The Espionage-formerly known as Alabama Jihad (www.alabamajihad.tk), Zom Zoms (www.tubezomzoms.com), and for an all synthesizer kick in the face Yip Yip (www.yipyip.com...maybe. Look it up yourself. It's easy).

To Everyone: www.keytarmusic.com
I know its not really synth but it's really cheesey and pretty amazing too.

LWG

Post Subject

Post by LWG » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:36 am

Hello,

For the $400.00 range you gave, there is the Moog Rogue, the Concertmate (many who use the MG-1 are on this forum and can give more info), also the Oberheim OB-1 (versatile and often slept-on).
A fully serviced Odyssey would run considerably higher. I've seen them go for between $900-$1200 USD.
They do appear in the $400-$500 range when the unit requires maintainence (which usually means the sliders need cleaning and lubing).
Other things that may need to be addressed (as with any board not recently serviced) are a keybed cleaning and cal.

Regards,

LWG

gd

Post by gd » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:35 am

How much different is the Pro One over the Moog Source. Which is more flexible, I have a Source but some of the statements about the Pro One are intriguing.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:20 pm

I have not tested a Moog Source but I have a Model D. People say Source is the closes to a Minimoog you can get.
I own two Pro~One’s and I just love them. They sound really warm, fat and organic and have a bit of that moog sound. But the best thing about the Pro~One is its modulation possibilities. It has a modulation matrix with three sources and five destinations.

Sources:
VCF Envelope, OSC-B and LFO, each with a knob to set amount and switches to set direct or via mod-wheel.

Destinations:
OSC-A pitch, OSC-A PW, OSC-B pitch, OSC-B PW and Filter, each with a switch to set Direct/mod-wheel or Off.

If that’s not enough you have sync, and OSC-B can act as LFO and be disconnected from keyboard CV. Add to that a fun arpeggiator and a sequencer with 40 steps and two tracks that can be pitched by keyboard or CV/GATE in.

Regards
Demokid

gd

Post by gd » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:23 pm

the Pro One and Kuzweil K2000 is definately on my to be aquired list, I have a good lead on a Prophet V as well. As soon as I get my Source back it is time to get serious with it.