Looking for complete version and name of unknown Moog song

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ValerieW

Looking for complete version and name of unknown Moog song

Post by ValerieW » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:58 pm

Hi, I'm looking for the title and performer of a Moog song that my Dad recorded 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, the original tape was partially wiped, so I've only got part of the song :roll: :( :cry: . I transferred this part to MP3 and I've put it on my friend's website.

Here you can find the MP3 I'm talking about:

http://www.narinx.be/unknownmoog.mp3

I'd love to find out who made this song so I can buy the full CD or LP. Can somebody identify this song?

Thanks in advance,

xxx
Valérie

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:26 pm

Mmh,

this reminds me of TOMITA somehow.
But I am not owning TOMITA except for his version of "Pictures of an Exhibition".
And it does not really sound like a Moog only record.
Actually I think its more like an Roland sound.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

vorlon42

Post by vorlon42 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:36 pm

I don't know the artist or the name of the song, but I recognize it. It was used as the theme for Jack Horkheimer's "Star Hustler" series, which is used as filler on some of the American PBS stations. Let me do some web searching and I'll get back to you on the answer.

(vorlon42 does a Google search on the words "Star Hustler" and Horkheimer)

Got it. From http://www.jackstargazer.com/SHFAQ.html:

Question: What is the most frequently asked question about 'STAR GAZER'?

Answer: That's easy. Everybody asks about our theme song which is the classic 'Arabesque #1' by Claude Debussy performed by Isao Tomita on the still available "Snowflakes Are Dancing" album (RCA 60579-2-RG).
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

ValerieW

YES YES YES YES

Post by ValerieW » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:41 pm

I LOVE YOU GUYS !!!! I FOUND THE SONG I WAS LOOKING FOR !!!! I WAS SEARCHING IT ALL MY LIFE !!!!!

GREAT !!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

THANX A LOT :-)

kisses

xxx
Valérie

Goom

Post by Goom » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Valerie, I'd just like to take this moment to say...you have great taste! Tomita is awesome... :D

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:20 am

Wow !
So I was pretty close to the right answer.

(clapping my self onto my shoulders)

:wink:
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

ValerieW

only one more problem...

Post by ValerieW » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:57 am

There's only one more problem, I found the song, but I remembered that there was another song after this one on my tape, but I don't have a sample of it, so I'll have to hear all Tomita's songs if I want to find it... I guess...

But I'm glad I found that one allready, I love the sound!

Greetings,

xxx
Valérie

vorlon42

Post by vorlon42 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:34 am

Glad I could help, Valerie.

I too have a synth song I can't identify. I first heard it on a radio spot for the Laserium show that stopped in my area around 1978-80. It was even used by one of the loal radio stations as their news music. I'll have to dig out the tape and make an MP3 file of the song before I proceed any further with this.
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

ValerieW

google

Post by ValerieW » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:15 am

Maybe you can type in some keywords in google? and find it that way? I did it too, I found already a lot of songs that way...

Do you have a lot of tomita songs acctually?

xx
Valérie

vorlon42

Re: google

Post by vorlon42 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:48 am

ValerieW wrote:Maybe you can type in some keywords in google? and find it that way? I did it too, I found already a lot of songs that way...

Do you have a lot of tomita songs acctually?

xx
Valérie
Web searching isn't a viable option. I don't know the artist, nor the name of the song, and there are no lyrics. :(

I don't have any Tomita in my collection. I remember borrowing Snowflakes are Dancing from the library, and the only thing I can remember from it was his version of "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair".

ValerieW

ok

Post by ValerieW » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:03 am

and if you try and search for "laserium show" or something? maybe send a mail to them? or it? or whatever :-) I don't know... well I hope you'll find it some day, I'm glad I found one of two songs already...

Greetings...
xxx
Valérie

Bob Hinges

Re: Looking for complete version and name of unknown Moog so

Post by Bob Hinges » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:20 pm

Hi Valerie

Don't know if this helps, but I have an original vinyl version of Tomita 'Snowflakes Are Dancing' Debussy album. Track listing is below, so your missing song may be one of the other tracks on the album (maybe even the one after Arabesque):

Side A
Snowflakes Are Dancing
Reverie
Gardens In The Rain
Clair de Lune
Arabesque No.1

Side B
The Engulfed Cathedral
Passepied
The Girl With The Flaxen Hair
Golliwogs Cakewalk
Footprints In The Snow

Record is RCA ref: ARL1-0488.

Maybe this will help find your second missing song. I also have original versions of Tomita 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and 'Firebird' - I can give you the track listings of these if you think it might be from a different album.

FYI, the 'whistle' sound on Arabesque was synthesised by using Moog Modular filters set up as a very narrow bandpass filter, with the filters then 'played' with a white noise input - basically a simple synthesis of the mouth 'filter' with air 'noise'. But maybe this is just techy stuff that's not very interesting....

Bob H.