Moog Factory Tour

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Moog Factory Tour

Post by EricK » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Well Initially I was supposed to go to the Factory after the 19th to pick up my Taurus pedals, so that I could ship them back here myself. Linda told me that after the 19th everyone would be back from NAMM and back to business as usual. Shipping delays (I think due to the vendors not shipping them the CHassis until the day I got there) kept them from having my unit ready. Back in DEC I asked about picking up my unit from the factory and they said at that time that if I came after the 19th that would probably be the time that my unit would be produced, because I didn't want to get a lower serial number than I deserved.

Well we went to Asheville, which from here is about 11 hours, 95 percent of which spent in Tennesse. They had a rock slide on I-40 so we had to take detours. We drove straight through. We had stayed at a Wyndham resort up in Lake lure which is 40 miles outside of Asheville, but because of the winding mountainous roads it takes over 1:40 to get there. Very beautiful country!

So the 20th rolled around and the 21st went by and I didn't get in touch with Linda. She was still returning from Namm. So I wanted to at least go there and pay my balance off. So I did, and they told me that J. D. wasn't there that day and not to expect a tour until next week (this week). I went anyway and paid my balance and got an impromptu tour, but didn't get to put my hands on anything. Marquita, the production manager took me around and I got to see the guitars, the phatty/taurus station, the voyager and fooger station. I was initially told that the sound room equipment was in transit from Namm, but I guess they arrived there the same day I did. I got there about 15 minutes to closing time. I really didn't want to leave and as I wasn't expecting a tour I hadn't mentally prepared myself for the questions that I was planning on asking about various things.

Chris Stack gave me a funny look and aparently reckognized me from my videos, called me by my first name, which really suprised the hell out of me.
We talked briefly. He gave me a couple of Moog pocket protectors. Now I did get to see the Taurus up close, and I got to hear it, but unfortunately I gign't get to mess with a guitar or actually play anything.

I would say that if you want to see some beautiful country, to take a nice vacation with your wife up in the mountians, go to the factory. If you live in a place where you can play the instruments in a store then you probably don't need to see the factory, but if you live in Arkansas where the nearest Moog store that might have guitars and Voyagers in Stock, is the Factory, just call them and pay them a visit.

It is a very tiny place, extremely small factory considering how popular their gear is. So if there are delays in things such as restocking RME's or Voyagers or Phatties or waiting for the CP 251's to ship then I most definately understand why.

I was like a kid in a candy store, I really didn't want to leave, since I traveled so far to get there, but I did my business, got some free stickers and got a taste of what the T3 sounds like.

I appreciate Marquita, Chris and Siobhan for being so gracious and courtious as to allow me to visit.

The Solar Phatties look SWEET, the Taurus sounds fantastic!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Brad

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes! I live six hours away and have made the trip twice. I was given nice tours as well and allowed to play with some toys. Asheville is definately worth visiting.
Voyager Performer, Taurus III, Etherwave Plus, MF 102, 104Z, 105, 107, CP 251, VX 351, Future Retro Revolution, DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard, Korg Triton Extreme, Hammond XK-1

chellebauer2

Post by chellebauer2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 am

what an experience. you just visited holy land! Can’t wait to write a similar experience, I’ll surely share that first here,
were you to catch it on video? might want to share more of it and I’m more than interested to check it out.
[url=http://www.Realtime-Vista.com]Cruise Vistas[/url]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:47 am

Cool! You got pocket protectors! Mine is wearing out, but I'll still use it long after the letters are worn off. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 am

Voltor07 wrote:Cool! You got pocket protectors!
Okay, this is a historical statement, as noone has ever said that before. :lol:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.