Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:59 am

hey guys
i've never used a modular but I plan on getting one soon but unfortunately
i am poor
but i want to get something and slowly build it up
i've been looking into Doepfer and MOTM
what are they like in comparison

any advice would be great

thanks

monads

Post by monads » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:00 pm

gd wrote:what book would you guys recommend that I buy to start my edumication.
1. Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls by Allen Strange
2. Electronic Music Synthesis: Concept, Facilities, Techniques by H.S. Howe

Those two old school books helped me tremendously. They're the best for understanding concepts. Not really synth specific.

vorlon42

Post by vorlon42 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:07 pm

Yeah, I'm cash poor too, like the rest of us. Cadillac tastes on a Chevrolet budget. :(

For books, I'd recommend Synthesis by Herb Deutsch. Herb used to work with Bob in those halcyon days of youre that many of us long for. I'm sure the book is out of print by now. (A recent search on ABE Books (USA) showed three copies available, ranging in price from US$32 to US$100.)

By the way.....who or what is MOTM? I know that MOTU is Mark of the Unicorn, but haven't a clue about what MOTM stands for.
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:06 pm

MOTM is the company synthtech. synthtech.com

It's slowly becoming the standard for modular systems that use 1/4" jacks.

Some would argue that another company, syntheisizers.com is. But there is a pretty strong family for MOTM systems. People do convert other systems like blacet, and Ken Stone modules over to MOTM standards with the help of Larry Stooge of wiseguysynths.com. Larry makes these incredible faceplates that match the MOTM system format.

synthisizers.com make some nice traditional moogish modules. I also understand he gets you your modules rather quickly, and that is hard to do with most modular systems. John Blacet is also rather prompt with orders I'll add.

Doepfer, has a large number of modules. I've been thinking about their theremin CV control module and frequency shifter. And also the Analouge Systems EMS clone Filter and Trapizoid Generator. But I would want to convert to 1/4" jacks since those seem a bit reliable to me and will interface with the Voyager better.

Note that MOTM, synthesizers.com, blacet use a +15 -15 v
while the Doepfer, Analouge Systems use +12 -12 v
You need diffrent power supplys for them.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:09 pm

I copied this from a Pro Audio Network article:

MOTM stands for “MOTher of all Modulars,” and though that’s quite a claim, the exceptional quality of Synthesis Technology’s system might validate such hyperbole.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:24 am

Module Of The Month is another one.

gd

Post by gd » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:36 pm

are any of you using Moogerfoogers either to build onto your Voyager or other Moog or in conjunction with another modular. I will be ordering these books from my local bookstore so sorry for the uneducated questions. I would love to build a modular that is very raw and gutteral sounding - would knock ppl right out of their seats.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:05 am

sir_dss - thanks for the response about the MOTM VCOs. Funnily enough, that's pretty much what I thought. The main thing that attracts me about MOTM is the filters and the fact that you can jack line level signals directly into them. I may definitely add some MOTM some day, although I am very impressed with the blacet modules I just received and my next lot of purchases will all be from John.

gd - I use the mf phaser with my setup and I am waiting for a MuRF. The phaser is fantastic - you can disable the lfo and use it as an all pass filter. It has a very rich sound. I am not entirely sure what you mean by raw and guttural (words are so inadequate to describe sound, aren't they?), but my initial impression of blacet would definitely be along these lines. And I don't even have the really, mad modules like the klangwerk, frequency shifter or wiard's noise ring.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:33 am

suthnear:
thank-you for your input, I am looking into finding a Dark Star Chaos right now, it integrates with the MOTM and Moog modules so this wpuld be a good starting point for me to build upon. I wish I could find someone in the Toronto Canada area who is into modulars as well so thank god for you all on this board.

I will take a drive down to Moog Music in Buffalo when I get some time off during the weekday as it is only 2 hours from me.
The learning curve continues, book purchases will happen this weekend.
Thank-you so much all for your input, I know there are many more newbies to the modular world out there like myself who hang on your every word. :mrgreen:

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:42 am

Moog Music in Buffalo ceased to exist in 1987.

monads

Post by monads » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:24 am

He has a DeLorian :lol:

gd

Post by gd » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:57 pm

oops, Modusonics Music Custom Engineering - don't you luv us head injured ppl. :lol:

neriks

Re: Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

Post by neriks » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:32 am

analogcontrolfreak wrote:... does anyone here use a Modular synthesizer as either you main instrument or with other keyboards. Be it a vintage Moog Modular or a brand new one like a synthesizers.com. :)
Hi,

I'm lucky enough to have both a Synthesizers.com and a Moog Modular in my studio :wink: I also have an old Formant Modular which I'm currently restoring.

tubeampguy

Re: Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

Post by tubeampguy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:40 pm

analogcontrolfreak wrote:I am just courious, but does anyone here use a Modular synthesizer as either you main instrument or with other keyboards. Be it a vintage Moog Modular or a brand new one like a synthesizers.com. :)

Hello, After reading everything I could about modulars, I took the plunge and bought a PHOBOS RED SQUARE. I didnt want to spend alot of money at first because I wasnt shure if this was somthing I wanted to get into( BOY WAS I WRONG!!!)I have been bit in a big way. The REDSQUARE is a modular in one panel BUT it is patchable, It was a great way to get started now onward I'm traveling to build a MOTM only limited funds stands in my way!

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:44 pm

vorlon42 wrote:Yeah, I'm cash poor too, like the rest of us. Cadillac tastes on a Chevrolet budget. :(

For books, I'd recommend Synthesis by Herb Deutsch. Herb used to work with Bob in those halcyon days of youre that many of us long for. I'm sure the book is out of print by now. (A recent search on ABE Books (USA) showed three copies available, ranging in price from US$32 to US$100.)

By the way.....who or what is MOTM? I know that MOTU is Mark of the Unicorn, but haven't a clue about what MOTM stands for.

check out the website here: www.synthtech.com