Devo Moogs

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Mos Fet

Devo Moogs

Post by Mos Fet » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Met Mark Mothersbaugh last week. Had a Model D, Voyager and a Microkorg in his rig, with a bunch of stompboxes.

OH, BTW, I'm selling my Men Without Hats D6 Clavinet on eBay while I'm name-dropping here. LOL
-Mos Fet

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:06 pm

His Voyager has a unique custom modification designed here at Moog, just to get the signature sound for the song Smart Patrol... :cool:

Fogflip

Post by Fogflip » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Amos wrote:His Voyager has a unique custom modification designed here at Moog, just to get the signature sound for the song Smart Patrol... :cool:
tell me more about this...

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 pm

It has an analog mod which provides saw and ramp LFO waveforms, and a big rotary selector knob above the Osc.1 Octave switch to select between Triangle, Ramp and Saw LFO shapes.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:57 am

I'm right there with you, Amos. :)

I had to "unmodify" one of Mark's Model D's, because another tech put in a linear taper pot (instead of log) for the mod wheel pot.
Mark couldn't get the modulation deep enough to do the Smart Patrol sound with it.
I went a bit farther too.
I added a control in the back to dial in the maximum available modulation so he could preset the mod wheel when it's maxxed forward.
Also added a mod that eliminates mod wheel bleed thru.

There's several Minis around those studios. Casale's studio also.
I restored two of Mark's model Ds a few years ago.
One had a Kenton kit MIDI in it, the other a Big Briar (Linhard/Moog) designed Midi converter.
I also got to tear off their taped-on, handwritten set list from one Mini for my wife.
She's a huge Devo fan.
If not for Mark's studio and the Moog Cookbook video shot there, I'd never have met her.

Here's a pic of two of their Mini Ds here, side by side:

http://www.minimoog.net/markmminis.jpg