Memorymoog Plus for sale

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Christopher J. Boylan

Memorymoog Plus for sale

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 pm

After long and careful thought... I really AM selling my precious Memorymoog this time. And, if that's not enough I'm willing to sell it to people overseas. How 'bout that?

Asking Price: $4000.00 US Buckereenos, or best offer.
NEW PRICE FOR MOOG FORUM USERS: $3000.00 (see below)

Euro users.... the US Dollar isn't going stay like it is now... so this is an incredible opportunity for you.

Let me tell you a little about this Memorymoog. I purchased it back in the 80's. Our own Doug Slocum (Synthetic Sound Labs back then, and glad to announce once again!) installed the PLUS feature, which updated the unit making it more stable, added MIDI (very basic MIDI of the time), and a sequencer.

I used this machine lovingly for years with NO prolblems what-so-ever. Some years back, I sent it out west to our own Kevin Lightner - and I quote: "every board has been recapped, inspected and resoldered as needed. Everything detailed, cleaned, tightened, etc."

The only thing wrong with this Memorymoog is that upon tune-up, the display reads, "5 VOICES TUNED" instead of all 6. To correct this, the unit must be re-calibrated. This procedure is spelled out completely in the service manual, which I have a PDF copy of, but I HIGHLY recommend that a qualified professional perform this work.

One other note: When Kevin went through this Memorymoog Plus, he removed the sequencer part of the PLUS upgrade. This was a GOOD thing in that it allowed more stability and it was ridiculous in the first place, only capable of recording 800 notes, I believe. But the important elements of the PLUS upgrade remain intact.

I don't have to tell you MoogerFoogers out there how special this machine is. There are an estimated 500 units out there that are still working, only a fraction of which are in this kind of excellent condition.

I can be contacted via email: [email protected] or via cell phone: 732-343-5002[/b]
Last edited by Christopher J. Boylan on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy cape. Wear cape. Fly.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:36 am

(deleted)
Last edited by MC on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 am

I quit working on 'em, but it was only about 5 years ago.
I worked on Chris' since I moved to this house and that was about 6 years ago.
It was fine (all 6 tuned) for awhile, then later exhibited a bad voice.
What I don't recall was removal of the sequencer, but just because I don't recall it, doesn't mean it's not so.
I've only worked on one since Chris' and after that one, quit.

So Chris' instrument probably needs either a calibration of one voice or perhaps a CEM3340 chip.
Not a huge repair.
But the rest of it was gone over well and it worked fine when he first received it.

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:13 am

I only remember you calling me and telling me that the sequencer part of the mod was creating some minor problems and that it would be best if it was simply removed and that it would be better for the machine. We both agreed that it was ridiculous in the first place, so I said something to the effect that I never use it anyway, so go ahead.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:22 am

I'll trust your memory over mine at this point.
After so many synths have come and gone, it's difficult to recall specifics.
But I do recall it was in sweet condition and enjoyed playing it.
Not very often one gets in a poly synth with such a powerful sound.
I love JP8s for example, but the MM can sound just huge.
Sorry you have to sell it, but there's a huge lack of people that really service them well.
Rudi Linhard is great, but is so far away.

Perhaps MC could use another?
I don't think it would present much of a challenge to him. :)

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 am

It breaks my heart, but I really must. She's been in the ATA case almost as long as it's been back from your place. I just don't have the heart to gig with it. It's by far the biggest WOW factor I've ever had in my rig and will probably never have again.

But it's in such wonderful condition I just can't bare to subject it to the road. This synthesizer needs and deserves a studio - a nice, warm, smoke free controlled environment somewhere where it will be worshipped and played. If I didn't live in a matchbox, I'd keep her, But I'll never have the room at this point.

It really is the finest, most fun synth I've ever owned... or played.

:cry:

MC

Post by MC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Sorry for the gesture of doubt.

Kevin, surely you jest :lol: Could I use another? No room for another, my studio is pretty full.

They are a great analog polysynth. It's been a staple in my arsenal since 1986.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:24 pm

After thinking hard about the sale of my Memorymoog, I've come to the conclusion that in all honesty, I'd take 3G for her in a heartbeat. In fact, when I put her up in EBAY for sale, that will be the starting bid.

I thought that I would post here that I'm trying to be realistic about what I can get for it, but need the capital to do what I need to do.

So for MOOG FORUM users only, before I put it up on EBAY at a lower price than I previously posted here resulting in ticking people off, I'm going to post here that I would gladly accept an offer of 3 grand for her.

It would be very cool indeed if someone in this forum took her off my hands.

mtmelvin

Post by mtmelvin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Good luck finding a better synth at a better price than this.

I became a Memorymoog owner this past spring, only mine was basically purchased in dead condition. I had it fully serviced and brought back to glory and it was returned to me only a few weeks ago.

This synth is an absolute beast. It's as fat as you could ever want, and it just ooozes character. I haven't spent much time making my own patches, I just kind of twist knobs until it sounds amazing... which never takes long. It produces some truly inspirational sounds.

Anyway, I think $3k is a very reasonable price from an original owner who knows the service history.

Christopher, good luck with the sale. I'm sure you are sad to see it go.

Someone, buy this and love it for the rest of your life!

-Mark
Moog Voyager Old School, Memorymoog, Moog Prodigy, Moog Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MP-201, Arp Odyssey, DSI Prophet 08 SE, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Roland Juno 6, Crumar Orchestrator, Rhodes, Wurli, Clavinet D6, Hammond C3 w/ Leslie 122

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 pm

THat got to me.

Thank you, Mark.

Fogflip

Post by Fogflip » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:39 am

haha ball and chain vetoed it some one snag this its a steal!
Last edited by Fogflip on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 am

False Alarm.

ALWAYS check your SOF before making ANY kind of major purchase - ALWAYS

[SOF - Significant Other Factor]

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Well, that's it Knob Twisters. Moog Forum member AND a very close friend of mine Vince Ascoli will soon be the proud new owner of my dear Memorymoog.

Vince is a singer/keyboard player. In fact, he was the singer of my old YES tribute band, RELAYER back in the mid 90s. He's currently putting a web page together to commemorate the band's achievements, which we'll post when it's done.

To facilitate the purchase, Vince is selling some of his gear such as: An Oberheim OB8, Sequential Pro-One with a cv/MIDI interface and a Quasimidi Polymorph in case anyone is interested.

Thank you all for your well wishes and your support.

Now I think I'll crawl into a corner and cry my eyes out and celebrate.

otto

Post by otto » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:14 pm

I might want the polymorph. Where do we direct our inquiries?

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Vince Ascoli can be reached at the following email address:

[email protected]