Analog Vs Digital

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
PureDigital86586770

Analog Vs Digital

Post by PureDigital86586770 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 am

In my experiences, I havce come across the fact that digital is way better than analog.
It is a cleaner signal that actually allows for mor modulation possibilities.
Just look at the MicroWave XT.... or any of the Roland workstations.

Each can "act" as a mono synth as well.

Please discuss.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 am

This has been discussed to death, but...

"Better" can only be determined relative to a specific set of objectives and aesthetic values. Without specifying what kind of result you want your gear to achieve, and why, there's no way to answer the question.

And since musical style is very diverse (a good thing IMO), we shouldn't expect that everyone will share the same objectives and values. Which means that there can be no general answer to the question.

Many people seem to have a hard time accepting this, though, which is why the topic keeps coming up and never gets resolved (because it is in principle unresolvable).

FWIW, in my own music I find digital tools better suited to certain tasks and analog ones better suited to others. I couldn't say that one was better overall, even within my own needs...

spittingoutteeth

Post by spittingoutteeth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 am

Don't feed the troll..... :P
[b]ΔΔΔ MARS PYRAMID RECORDS ΔΔΔ[/b] - www.marspyramid.com
www.myspace.com/marspyramid
[b]Aether Everywhere Records[/b] - www.aethereverywhere.com
[b]VIKOMT[/b] [i](harsh drones)[/i] - www.myspace.com/vikomt

Mr Arkadin

Re: Analog Vs Digital

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:56 am

PureDigital86586770 wrote:In my experiences, I havce come across the fact that digital is way better than analog.
It is a cleaner signal that actually allows for mor modulation possibilities.
Just look at the MicroWave XT.... or any of the Roland workstations.
Yep, you're right. Now go away you cock.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:49 pm

In the event that you aren't a troll, I can offer you this:

Digital is like a player piano. It plays all the right notes, in all the right places, with all the right values. The playing is clean, no doubt, but some might argue that it's "too clean," too sterile, it has no soul.

Analog is like a person playing the same song. They also play all the right notes, in all the right places, with all the right values. However since they're not a machine, their playing has a certain ineffable feel to it, a human quality that is not imparted by the player piano. It's not as clean as the player piano, but that doesn't mean that it can't be pleasurable to listen to nevertheless.

Musically speaking, the decision as to which one is better than the other comes down to whoever it is doing the listening. It's an aesthetic decision.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I will also comment hoping this is not troll feeding.

I have keyboards at two extremes, a Korg M3 and a Moog Voyager (along with Moogerfoogers, CP-251 and expander for the Voyager).

The primary reason I have a Voyager is because of control voltages. The Korg M3 has a very sophisticated system of modulation but you still can do with it what you can with control voltages. The sky is the limit with CVs. You can feed them into modules in a modular, Moogerfoogers, you can even use DIY electronics. Digital synthesizers do one thing, run programs.

Every digital synth is simply a computer with limited operating system (in some cases a scaled down and specialized windows) running a program. Whatever that program allows you do do is all you are going to be able to do.

Computers also have to break up time into descrete parts. I am convinced that some of the itnteractions of analogue circuits can be duplicated because of this. Try creating a good self oscillating filter with a computer program. Analogue electronics add color which is not a bad thing. It's why certain synths have been so popular, just consider the Moog ladder filter for example.

I think filters are also diffrent. I don't like the filters of the Korg M3 at all. The are thin and harsh although the sounds of the M3 itself are very beautiful but that has a lot to do with how carefully Korg constructed them.

Bottom line is that I love both off my synthesizers. I don't see one as bettter than the other, only different and in many ways, they complement one another.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 pm

i vote to delete this post on principle, whatcha think mod? :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Delete!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Perfection is boring. A shiny new car is only worth a few zero's on a piece of paper. After you dent or scratch it for the first time, then it becomes valuable and you can assess how much it's worth to you.

Just a though that came to me reading the word 'digital'.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Delete this thread, please.

OP is a first-poster and he is spouting trollbait. He should be banned.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Ban!

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Bring on the hammer!

It's like going on a Harley forum and saying "2 cylinder motorcycles are garbage, what do you think?"
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:56 pm

If it looks like a troll, and smells like a troll....

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:If it looks like a troll, and smells like a troll....
...and has a troll-like name on an analog Moog forum...

CZ Rider

Re: Analog Vs Digital

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm

PureDigital86586770 wrote: Just look at the MicroWave XT.... or
Or the Waldorf Microwave I... oh wait, that has 8 analog filters.
Well the Pulse......no that has an analog "Moog" type ladder filter.
But my Miniworks 4 pole.....nope that has the same analog filter as the pulse.
OK, the Q+...........What, 16 analog filters?
Perhaps using Waldorf as an example wasn't the best idea for the "digital is better" troll bait? :lol: