Analog Vs Digital

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Rob Smith on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:39 pm

EricK wrote:For us it was Atari 400 or 800.

C64 or 128.

Amiga or 286.

Butter or Margerine

How about Flat Earth or Round Earth?
Vampire or Theremin? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:04 am

Lux_Seeker wrote:I will also comment hoping this is not troll feeding.

I have keyboards at two extremes, a Korg M3 and a Moog Voyager (along with Moogerfoogers, CP-251 and expander for the Voyager).

The primary reason I have a Voyager is because of control voltages. The Korg M3 has a very sophisticated system of modulation but you still can do with it what you can with control voltages. The sky is the limit with CVs. You can feed them into modules in a modular, Moogerfoogers, you can even use DIY electronics. Digital synthesizers do one thing, run programs.

Every digital synth is simply a computer with limited operating system (in some cases a scaled down and specialized windows) running a program. Whatever that program allows you do do is all you are going to be able to do.

Computers also have to break up time into descrete parts. I am convinced that some of the itnteractions of analogue circuits can be duplicated because of this. Try creating a good self oscillating filter with a computer program. Analogue electronics add color which is not a bad thing. It's why certain synths have been so popular, just consider the Moog ladder filter for example.

I think filters are also diffrent. I don't like the filters of the Korg M3 at all. The are thin and harsh although the sounds of the M3 itself are very beautiful but that has a lot to do with how carefully Korg constructed them.

Bottom line is that I love both off my synthesizers. I don't see one as bettter than the other, only different and in many ways, they complement one another.
indeed

me vomits on troll
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

ozy

Post by ozy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 am

Let me sum the debate with a final aphorism:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm

This thread is crappier than a polymoog.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Ah, but it lives on in infamy - at least the intended purpose of the orginal trawling has been well thwarted.

Al trawlers have been sacked.