MG-1 Sampler

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eXode

MG-1 Sampler

Post by eXode » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:35 am

Hi @ all.

I thought that I'd share a small demo of the Realistic MG-1 that i threw together this morning. I've just had it serviced and asked the guy who fixed it change the I/O from RCA to 1/4 tele. I also had the input routed through the filter and the output slightly boosted.

The demo features a simple drumloop played through the filter and then tweaked as it was playing. All other sounds are MG-1, multitracked into Record. I don't have any sequencer to run it with atm so everything is played by hand, thus it might be a bit untight. The song obviously features some effects like reverb, delay and a touch of chorus on the basses.

You can listen to the track here. It's also possible to download the track in case the player doesn't work for you.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:50 am

WOW! That sounds great, excellent job! 8)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

eXode

Post by eXode » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:20 am

JohnLRice wrote:WOW! That sounds great, excellent job! 8)
Cheers. Thanks for listening!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 am

Phono RCA unbalanced inputs were usually fed by the outputs of a turntable with a moving-magnet cartridge. Thus, these inputs usually have a built-in RIAA preamp that provides the EQ & gain required for the phono-level signal to return it to a proper line-level signal.

I don't know if the MG-1 Sampler RCA inputs have the preamp but its possible. Just food for thought regarding the EQ & gain.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

eXode

Post by eXode » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am

DeFrag wrote:Phono RCA unbalanced inputs were usually fed by the outputs of a turntable with a moving-magnet cartridge. Thus, these inputs usually have a built-in RIAA preamp that provides the EQ & gain required for the phono-level signal to return it to a proper line-level signal.

I don't know if the MG-1 Sampler RCA inputs have the preamp but its possible. Just food for thought regarding the EQ & gain.
I think the Realistic MG-1 used Tape RCA (if that matters). As far as I know the new 1/4 tele input is connected directly to the filter with a small resistor component attached to it. The changes applied to my MG-1 should be similar if not the same as described here: http://www.unitywaves.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=33