I get so tired of thieves......

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kevin Lightner

I get so tired of thieves......

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Original photo taken by me: http://www.synthfool.com/yondermoog.jpg

Photo reversed and edited:
http://ces.studio-nagran.pl/modules/con ... ng=english
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5X51ofVNk

Is it so hard to ask to obtain permission when one uses another's work for their "art" or profit-making venture?

Bryan T

Re: I get so tired of thieves......

Post by Bryan T » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:48 pm

At least they credit you:
Cover designed by yeske (all the pictures found on the Internet)
If someone wants to track the photographer down, all they need to do is go on the Internet.

Have you sent them an invoice?

MC

Post by MC » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Unfortunately that is the one synthfool pic I see a lot of on the net.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Well it is a fabulous picture. Perhaps you can write
"I stole this picture from Kevin Lightner" on your pictures and then it will appear all over everywhere.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Or put a disclaimer on your website and start suing people for using your imagrey for profit. You'd win.

Agreeing to enter this site means that you agree not to use these images without permission or face extremel mutilation.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 am

And then there are hypocrites like matrixsynth who grabs piles of photos from ebay and from Kevin without asking and puts a disclaimer on his blogs that photos may not be used without his permission.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:15 am

Watermark your photos.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:16 am

MC wrote:And then there are hypocrites like matrixsynth who grabs piles of photos from ebay and from Kevin without asking and puts a disclaimer on his blogs that photos may not be used without his permission.
Not to mention videos too. I even found myself on his Blog.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 am

the other link is down... it's no more.

But... Kevin, your photo is FANTASTIC!!! If I ever got to see a modular Moog like that in real life I'd freak out.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 am

the other link is down... it's no more.
Yeah. I decided to write a client friend who also happens to be a Google lawyer.
He was very helpful.
But... Kevin, your photo is FANTASTIC!!! If I ever got to see a modular Moog like that in real life I'd freak out
Thank you very much!
I wish I still freaked out when I see these synths.
Now all I see is food on the table and a lot of work to do.
Lately, more of the latter.
But I am very happy someone appreciates whatever it is I do and thank you for your kind words.

eXode

Post by eXode » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 am

Tell me about it! I've made a couple of free refills for the Reason community and then some guy ripped my and other peoples patches from various free refills and put them all into his own big package without asking permission or even giving credit. I managed to track down the different sites where he had posted and got the various admins to remove the refills.

He haden't even bothered renaming files or folders from the various refills he had taken from, just put them all inside and said it was 'his' refill. Some people you know...

yeske

Post by yeske » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:46 am

Kevin, this is me - Jarek aka "yeske" from the Polish forum "Studio Nagrań".

As you know, we run the project called "Contemporary Electronic Soundscapes". Our project is active for about three years. This is non-commercial, non-profit project intended only to promote Polish electronic music as well as for new listener's musical education. This is also a peculiar game whithin the artists - all they have to artistically interpret the same album subject given. There is no money within the project at all - no one pays money for anything, no one earns money (only I pay my time to organize everything and to maintain the project website). Everything is available completely for free.

I realized that the picture used for front cover art of "Homage to Bob Moog" is your property.
I've found this picture some three years ago somewhere on the Internet, but this was not your own webpage, as I can remember. There was no copyright information neither on that website, on the picture itself nor in the EXIF fields inside the JPEG file. Even today you can find the same picture on several sites with no copyright information at all.

I'm very sorry for this situation. Your picture was used in good faith, not to make any profit.
Once I know that you own this incredible photograph, I'm asking you for your permission to continue using it. If you decide not to permit that, I will completely remove it from the project. But we would be honoured, if you would be so kind to permit keeping it as is, with appropriate copyright information.

Of course, I've currently blocked the project website to avoid its further availability. After I enter the appropriate changes, the site will be back online.

Again, I'm very sorry for this situation.

Jarek
yeske

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Copyleft, fair-use, etc.. but its a good faith request.

I usually don't have a problem with things if they'd just ask.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

yeske

Post by yeske » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am

Kevin,

I understand your silence as permission to use the photo with no limits.

Thanks

Jarek
yeske

MC

Post by MC » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 am

I would not make such rash decisions if I were you.