moog ground problem?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
rick reed

moog ground problem?

Post by rick reed » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:01 pm

I just bought a Mini Moog Model D, circa 1972, and I have noticed that it seems to give off a loud hum when attached to my computer recording device. To explain in more detail, I use a Audigy Soundblaster recorder, that when hooked to the mixer without the Moog being plugged in, no hum. Hook up the Moog, you get hum, unplug the Moog, no hum. Now plug in the Moog, unplug the computer output leads, no hum. Does the Moog need a ground wire of some sort? I've used all sorts of weird electronic equipment in the same way I'm trying to use my Mini and have never encountered any problems. I can still record, but the chances of any sort of low volume recording is out of the question. Anybody encounterd this before? Oh yeah, I tried all the usual things, switched to low from high output on the synth, tried changing the power plug order,ect. I even tried a different mixer, but it always has this very audible hum, even when it's off. But as I said, without the computer hookup, it works fine, no problems at all. I'm flumoxed at what it could be....
RR

MC

Post by MC » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:13 pm

"Ground loop"

You may need to lift ground inside the 1/4" plug on the cable connecting your minimoog to the mixer. Lift the end that plugs into the mixer.

Is your computer and minimoog plugged into the same circuit as your audio gear? If not you may need to.

rick reed

Post by rick reed » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:13 pm

Hi! Thanks for your help. I have to admit I'm not sure what a lift ground is. Is it taking the cover off the cable and clipping the ground wire inside? I've asked several people about it, and they all looked at me like a dog being shown a card trick. Any futher details you could give would be great, as it certainly seems like I have no idea of what to do next.
Thanks again!
RR

rick reed

Post by rick reed » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:19 pm

Well, mystery solved! When I got home from work I inserted a two prong/ungrounded plug converter and switched it out in the power strip train, plugged the mini into it and it seems to be working great now! Many thanks to you for putting me on the correct train of thought.
RR