Asheville Tourism Awards $600,000 Help to Build Moogseum

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:57 pm

In the fall of last year we issued a survey to all of you in order to get your feedback about the creation of a Bob Moog museum in Asheville. Many thanks to the hundreds of you who responded; the information you provided was invaluable. Over half of you said that you would be extremely likely to visit a Bob Moog Museum and 80% of you said you would be more likely to come to Asheville if a Bob Moog Museum was located there. This information was of significant help in securing a lead grant to build a Moogseum.

The Bob Moog Foundation is delighted to announce that the Buncombe County Tourism Product Development Authority (BCTPDA) has awarded a $600,000 grant for the capital costs involved in building the Moogseum in Asheville, NC. The grant is a bricks and mortar grant; funding will be dispersed when construction begins, which is expected for 2012.
We are extremely grateful and energized by this grant and we commend the BCTPDA for its visionary stance in awarding this funding.

The Moogseum will be a state-of-the-art exploratorium at the intersection of music and science. It will house Bob Moog's archives and feature several instrument-based hands-on exhibits. The Moogseum will educate children and adults about the science behind the sounds of electronic music through its exhibits and innovative programming. Phase one of the Moogseum is expected to cost $3 million. To read more about the plans for the Moogseum, and our Mini-Moogseum project, please check out our blog.

In order to keep you updated on further progress, we have created Moogseum.com.
The site is still under construction, but we have a cool splash page upfrom which you can download images. We will be busy developing the site in the near future.

Experience the Power of MoogLab

The Bob Moog Foundation will be out and about this spring at local area festivals with our interactive MoogLab exhibit. We had an excellent experience at the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, TN in February and we will be appearing at Tron-a-Thon, HATCHfest Asheville and LEAF this month and next. Our goal at each of these unique festivals is to broaden people's perspective about the capabilities and applications of electronic music. To read much more about these fantastic festivals, please see our blog.

The Bob Moog Foundation

Make Waves by donating to the Bob Moog Foundation
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:13 pm

AWESOME! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I support this museum and hope I don't sound like a critic, but I'm confused about the "restoration lab."
Is this supposed to be a shop with a window where people watch Moog instruments being restored on-site?
If so, I'm having a hard time imagining how that could be done.
There's only a handful of people in the world with the necessary experience and resources.
If the tech was a novice, they'd probably do a poor job on what would be some of the rarest instruments out there.
If the tech was a pro, they'd already have their own shop, active clientele, parts and all that.
I could neither move everything necessary in my shop, nor work efficiently in someone elses.
If I didn't have the right part, I'd either have to stop right there, find it and order it, or use the incorrect part so as not to interrupt the work flow.
Doesn't make sense because either the gear suffers or the tech has to be paid while waiting for parts.
If they're not local, they'd require transport or lodging during this wait also.

I can only guess that someone that's never done such work has thought this idea up.
I do this kind of work 24/7 and don't see how it's possible.
I don't know of any experienced tech who could pack up their shop to do this or work in someone else's and do a good job.

Am I missing something here? Are they?
Sorry if either I "don't get it" or sound critical.
I'm trying to jump what appears to be a chasm between good intentions and practical results and I'm falling every time.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:06 pm

I think they are going to have an animatronic Bob in there like at Disney's Hall Of Presidents.

This is great though. Maybe Moog is disproportionally famous, but then again, maybe not considering the contribution to music and gear. Better a museum than another ball park - not that their is anything wrong with a ball park, but we already have plenty - no museums dedicated to Moogs yet.

Kevin, if I were you I would get on the horn and get involved. You might get some consulting work out of it.
But maybe with this money they open a small facility for custom creation of parts. Or is that impossible? This could turn in to a thread about how custom circuits are built if we are not careful.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Instead of restoration lab behind glass I think they should have a little Moog factory assebly line that is constantly building Moog modular products exclusively! :wink:
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 pm

I think they are going to have an animatronic Bob in there like at Disney's Hall Of Presidents.
Now THAT would be cool!
"Great Moments with Bob Moog"
They could use his own voice, get robotics people in on the idea and have a great presentation.

As far as consulting, I know Michelle and we're on good terms.
We've spoken many times about the museum.
But the restoration lab is news to me.
While I'm not the end-all voice of vintage service, I also don't know anyone that's restored more vintage Moog gear than me.
For example, if it was an Arp museum's shop, the first person I'd ask for input is Phil Cirocco.

I'm still going along the assumption we're talking about an actual tech shop within the museum.
I'd just hate for them to invest money in something that might not be doable.
I'm not even sure who would be qualified to vet applicants.
Making a specialized restoration shop isn't a trivial matter.
There's a lot of tools and parts necessary.
Unless Bob had a warehouse of instruments tucked away, I can't see how they'd ever recoup their money.
It would be like making a donut factory to produce 2 dozen donuts.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote: Unless Bob had a warehouse of instruments tucked away, I can't see how they'd ever recoup their money.
It would be like making a donut factory to produce 2 dozen donuts.
Well...there IS a warehouse full of Octave Cats and Kittens, so it's not impossible. Though, Modusonics has a great number of parts. Enough to build the original modules, and sell them, at any rate. It's not likely that Mike Bucki(sp?) would give away his goldmine for the sake of history, though. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 am

I think the restoration lab is going to be doing things like archiving and trying to restore old video tapes, reel-to-reels and things like that. Trying to get the notes xeroxed minus mold stains and things.

Perhaps...

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 am

EricK wrote:I think the restoration lab is going to be doing things like archiving and trying to restore old video tapes, reel-to-reels and things like that. Trying to get the notes xeroxed minus mold stains and things.

Perhaps...

Eric
I remember something about that now that you mention it...

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 am

I think the restoration lab is going to be doing things like archiving and trying to restore old video tapes, reel-to-reels and things like that. Trying to get the notes xeroxed minus mold stains and things.

So there's to be a window for visitors to watch them running a copying machine? :roll:

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 am

lol I don't know but its funny now that you mention it.

I agree about having a tech there though and what that would mean.

I guess well see in a few years.

Eric

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 am

Voltor07 wrote:Well...there IS a warehouse full of Octave Cats and Kittens
Hmm??
What's that you say?
Please elaborate. I'm very intrigued. :shock:

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Carmine B, the president of Octave Plateau fame has or had a bunch of Cats in a warehouse.
I've heard about this for over 15 years.
One was once given away in a Keyboard Magazine giveaway.

I have no idea as to today's status of these instruments.
Previously Carmine had said that they've been damaged through storage and so didn't want to sell them.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:Previously Carmine had said that they've been damaged through storage and so didn't want to sell them.
Sad if true. The Cat is one of my all-time favorites.
I think I bid on one of your restored Kittens a few months a go, Kevin. Didn't win the auction though. :(

Back to the Moogseum.
Is this the same thing that was talked about at NAMM in this article?
I remember something saying it would be at NAMM headquarters in CA.
Would that be a temporary "travelling" version? Or has the whole thing been moved to NC?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 am

Well Bob's Archives were in NC so thats probably where they wanted it in the first place. BUT I do remember there being some Moogseum display at last years namm...a few modules and documents and things.

They are probably going to promote it like any other museum.
I can't speak on their behalf though.
Eric