Manual Losers! (a rant)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Do you think it's important to keep the manual to your equipment?

Yes!
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 31

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:37 pm

EricK wrote:Woop,
You want to know something though, I bought Used talkbox from a pawn shop, had original stuff (as far as I know). I even cleaned the tube and used it.

:shock:
:lol: when i first read this i thought you said "I never cleaned the tube..." that would be NASTY! stupid dyslexia...
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:28 pm

wooperman wrote:Jon_kull,
Mourn those boxes....Just next time please, continue the quote down to where I said that I don't expect others to keep the boxes. I was qualifying that as proof that I am uptight about the ephemera.
"Kind of silly" is a phrase important people use to talk about people beneath them. You are one of us Jon_kull, and you know deep in your head when you buy used gear - you get a little tingle when you know it has all the original factory bits.
Not admitting that is very silly. :P
Even though I quoted you I wasn't talking specifically about you. Just making a general observation about behavior. I've just always thought it was odd that a cardboard box can add value to something regardless of the actual item's condition. I care more about what I'm getting than I do about the cardboard box it's packed in. For me manual and psu/cable are a must. Original packaging...not so much.

meisenhower

Post by meisenhower » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:03 pm

I keep everything.

Manuals, boxes, packaging, plastic bags that the gear came in and it is all properly stored.

Yes, I have a huge storage space for all of this, however you're screwed should you ever need to send a piece of expensive gear back to the mfg for updating or repair.

Same goes for selling, as a buyer is much quicker on the trigger if all the items from the original sale are there.

From personal experience, I've had much better fortune with used gear that had all the packaging and other goodies, than those that have had aftermarket packaging. For some reason, if someone keeps all the original stuff, they tend to take better care of the gear.

Your mileage may vary.
Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 am

Manual losers is one thing, catalog losers are another.

I threw out many manufacturers catalogs from the '90s and regret the stupidity. I mean these were digital synth manufacturers but reading the low low low specs of the latest gear back then is always fun. Of course analog is different, it never dates and there's no such thing as obsolete. And surely no one would throw away analog synth catalogs ...

MC

Post by MC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm

I have saved very few music catalogs, usually toss 'em after ten years.

The early 80s Veheman Music and Eastcoast Music Mall were pretty cool, I kept those. Eastcoast sold some eclectic stuff, including the Marshall Time Modulator.

Even if I sell gear I keep the manuals, those do come in handy.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:44 pm

THat ought to be part of the original rant...you sell the gear and then keep the manuals. lololol.

You force someone who may resell the gear to do so without having the manual.

:wink:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.