Inspiring software sequencers?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Bryan T

Inspiring software sequencers?

Post by Bryan T » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:38 pm

I learned about Numerology 2 in another post and have really been having fun with it. I can set up really complicated sequences to control my Little Phatty, do a lot of interesting parameter control via MIDI, and waste lots of hours making music.

A lot of sequencing programs use a 'piano roll,' which is an interface that I find totally uninspiring. So, what are some other fun-to-use software sequencers? (Hardware is cool, too, but gets expensive!)

Bryan

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Reason is very nice...weve done alot of our latest music with that. I don't know how feasible it would be to sync that up to something else via midi....but just the software synths and sounds contained therein are album quality.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:04 pm

EricK wrote:Reason is very nice...weve done alot of our latest music with that. I don't know how feasible it would be to sync that up to something else via midi....but just the software synths and sounds contained therein are album quality.

Eric
What version of Reason do you have? I stopped upgrading after 2.5. I did start using it again recently, as I have a much better understanding of what all it is capable of after using my Moog instruments. I'm not sure if it is worth upgrading again.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Reason does not support MIDI in or out for integration with hardware or software devices. You can use its instruments from a host sequencer (like Logic for instance) via Rewire if you want to integrate it into a fancier DAW, but it will not work as a stand alone sequencer for other stuff.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by LeRoi on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm

LeRoi wrote:Reason does not support MIDI in or out for integration with hardware or software devices. You can use its instruments from a host sequencer (like Logic for instance) via Rewire if you want to integrate it into a fancier DAW, but it will not work as a stand alone sequencer for other stuff.

Hope this helps.
I was pretty sure Reason didn't do MIDI out. It does take MIDI in.

Any sequencer ideas? Numerology is really very cool . . .

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Bryan T wrote: It does take MIDI in. Any sequencer ideas? Numerology is really very cool . . .
My bad, of course Reason has a MIDI in. I'm unsure how intuitive it would be to use it slaved to an external hardware device (like how it would accept MIDI clock from a drum machine), but I suppose there would be a way. Anyhoo, that doesn't really answer your post.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how Numerology works, so I'd have to look into what would be similar. Most people I know running software sequencers use Ableton or Logic. Now I'm curious!

Also, you could probably pick up an old MC 303 for under $200. Still an expense but a cheap one...but I digress, I'm off topic!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't have reason...Gabe, the other .5 Rhythmicon has the computer and software..i have the hardware.

I don't know what version he had o if it would throw out midi. Aparently I learned something today lol.

It DOES have a very nice amount of stuff that you can do as Im sure you are aware already.

THe Moog Modular software by Arturia has a seq in it...but I don't know if that program ever ran on anyones computer without lagging. Its supposed to do MIDI too but I never used it because it was a lag master.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Any other thoughts on this? I've read positive things about the sequencers in Reaktor, but it does a lot more than just sequencing.

lanxe

Post by lanxe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm

i love sequencers. but a good software version has been hard for me to get into.

numerology is the only one that has inspired me to create more than just simple patterns.

have cubase (paino roll), just starting to play with logic. tried reason (no midi out). i havent used fruity loops in a few years, it may be an option?

i was trying several hardware devices too.......most recently the monome 40h. it is pretty cool and very flexible (if you can program, which i cannot). some of the sequencing programs can run without a monome, but i am still digging around at what cool programs people have written.

i tried the rm1x.....didnt like it too much. it was cool, but not for me. i would love to check out a genoQ's nemo, but am afraid to drop that kind of cash.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:28 pm

it's hardware, but seriously check Future Retro's "Orb" sequencer. It's gorgeous and plays really well with moog gear. Pretty cheap too for what you're getting.

http://www.future-retro.com
www.ctrlshft.com

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:24 pm

The orb looks really great. Is the voltage compatible?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:25 pm

MarkM wrote:The orb looks really great. Is the voltage compatible?
It should be. It also works as a MIDI-to-CV converter.

calvinistsandlutherans

Post by calvinistsandlutherans » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Nothing terribly instructive to add here: I LOVE Numerology, and recommend that everyone at least give it a look. It's particuarly interesting to use it to sequence various parameters on a Voyager, while you play it by hand (say turning the Osciallator Sync on and off to some pattern).

I'd also be curious to know if there's anything else out there that's comparable to Numerology in terms of offering a more interesting take on sequencing.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 am

I'm downloading Numerology 2.0.1 as I write this, but as far as hardware sequencers, you can't go wrong with a Doepfer MAQ 16/3. It outputs gate/CV for each of the three rows, but used as a MIDI seq, you can set it to send ANY CC for each of the rows. Pretty neato!

-a. bunny

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:04 pm

I've been using Numerology for a couple of years now (though in a pretty basic way). It's a great program. Someone recently recommended that I check out Nortron:

http://www.dspaudio.com/software/nortron/

It seems interesting but I think I like the modular interface of Numerology better.

As for hardware I really enjoyed the time I spent with the Genoqs Nemo but the price stopped me from buying it. It's more like an instrument that needs to be played rather than just a HW sequencer.