Should I sell my Nord Lead 2X?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jrayk Roze

Should I sell my Nord Lead 2X?

Post by Jrayk Roze » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 pm

I got a Nord Lead 2X two years ago, and ever since I got my Moog one year ago, I never play the thing. I bought it for $1000, and I figured I could sell it for $800-900, which would equate to a lot of other synth stuff I'm interested in (a sequencer and a drum machine particularly). It just collects dust , as it jealously leans on the wall next to my Voyager.

However, it is my first synth, and I have made some interesting patches on it (one which I know I'd miss forever).

I know if I sold it, I'd get some cool stuff I'd really appreciate and use, like the MFB-Step 64 and the MFB-503.

I'm afraid that selling it would come back to bite me in the ass, though.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:15 pm

That's a tough one mate. I'd suggest busting out the ol Nord and giving it a whirl on some newer material...see if it convinces you to keep it. If not, sell it. That's a nice piece that others may enjoy, so pass the torch!

You could always do a sysex dump so you don't lose the patch you love, and if you ever get another Nord Lead 2X, you can use it again. Also, if you're into software at all, sample that patch in something like logics sampler thing. You'll never have to live without it.

Hope this helps!

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Keep it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Id say keep it. Notr because Im a Nord Fan or anything, but because you really sound like you don't want to sell it.

Ive been thinking about selling my 17 piece drumset for some Synth Modules but as soon as I did Id be wondering how Im going to get my dream drumset again.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Keep it. The first synth should be the last to get sold. Besides, you could do some great Keith Emerson-type solos with both synths...one for each hand. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

funk5

Post by funk5 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, it depends. I would lean towards keeping it because it's a polyphonic. Do you want to have the ability to play chords and do some nice pads. Sure you can do that on the Old School to an extent tuning each oscillator to make a 3 note chord but it's not the same. Do you like the nord sound for pads and pseudo ep's etc? Maybe try out another VA, or better yet an inexpensive analog poly like a Roland Juno 60 (or 6 if you don't care about presets), Akai AX-60 or 80, Sequential circuits Prophet 600 or Six Trak, or the new Prophet 08 isn't too expensive. I think you'll miss the the ability to play chords, plus it's 4 part multitimbral, allowing you to do some pretty cool stuff.

Do you mostly play at home? If you have a midi keyboard and some decent softsynths then maybe selling it would be a good idea, then you can get the other stuff you want.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:32 am

funk5 wrote:Well, it depends. I would lean towards keeping it because it's a polyphonic. Do you want to have the ability to play chords and do some nice pads. Sure you can do that on the Old School to an extent tuning each oscillator to make a 3 note chord but it's not the same. Do you like the nord sound for pads and pseudo ep's etc? Maybe try out another VA, or better yet an inexpensive analog poly like a Roland Juno 60 (or 6 if you don't care about presets), Akai AX-60 or 80, Sequential circuits Prophet 600 or Six Trak, or the new Prophet 08 isn't too expensive. I think you'll miss the the ability to play chords, plus it's 4 part multitimbral, allowing you to do some pretty cool stuff.

Do you mostly play at home? If you have a midi keyboard and some decent softsynths then maybe selling it would be a good idea, then you can get the other stuff you want.
I exclusively play at home, and I actually don't really care about playing chords. No matter how much I try, I don't have a desire for polyphony in one synth.

I set it up again for one more go the other day, and it disappointed me. After playing with my OS for so long, I got spoiled. I think I'll eventually sell it. I just hope the demand for them increases over the coming years.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

ChinaPig

Post by ChinaPig » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:16 am

Keep it! It's not analog but it's still a great synth with a lot of capability.
MF-101, 102, 103; CP-251; Nord Lead 3; Guitars & Basses

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:34 pm

I say keep it too if you can afford it
It's always handy to have a solid polyphonic synth besides a mono like the OS
I actually hesitated between a Nord Lead 2X and a Prophet 08 when I wanted a strong poly to play along my LP Tribute... went to the Prophet for personal taste, but Nord gear is really good, no doubt
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:08 am

I also say keep it.
The picture below says what I'd like to say.

My Nord is for polyphonic and LP is for monophonic. :)
Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Clavia Nordlead 2X, http://moogsynth.tistory.com/

matt jessup

Re: Should I sell my Nord Lead 2X?

Post by matt jessup » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 am

Jrayk Roze wrote:I got a Nord Lead 2X two years ago, and ever since I got my Moog one year ago, I never play the thing. I bought it for $1000, and I figured I could sell it for $800-900, which would equate to a lot of other synth stuff I'm interested in (a sequencer and a drum machine particularly). It just collects dust , as it jealously leans on the wall next to my Voyager.

However, it is my first synth, and I have made some interesting patches on it (one which I know I'd miss forever).

I know if I sold it, I'd get some cool stuff I'd really appreciate and use, like the MFB-Step 64 and the MFB-503.

I'm afraid that selling it would come back to bite me in the ass, though.
i sold all my gear some years ago, don,t sell, trust me you'll regret it later

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am

If I kept all the gear I've owned over the years, I couldn't get into the house. That said, there a few items I wish I still had. (The 2600's, Prophet 5, Mellotron and ESQ-1) If it is a machine you love the sound of and have programmed a lot of sounds on, I'd recommend you keep it. If you had no attachment to it and it was 'just this synth, you know' then sell it. (for me that was MemoryMoog, Multitrack and some old Korgs and Yamahas.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 am

Just Me wrote:If I kept all the gear I've owned over the years, I couldn't get into the house. That said, there a few items I wish I still had. (The 2600's, Prophet 5, Mellotron and ESQ-1) If it is a machine you love the sound of and have programmed a lot of sounds on, I'd recommend you keep it. If you had no attachment to it and it was 'just this synth, you know' then sell it. (for me that was MemoryMoog, Multitrack and some old Korgs and Yamahas.)
This is really really well said.

I've been through a Prophet 600, MS-20, SH-09, SH-101, MC-202, TR-606, Vermona DRM1 MKIII, Nord Lead 3, Nord MicroModular, Alesis Ion, Alesis Micron, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Korg MS-2000, Korg Prophecy, Moog Voyager RME, Moog Little Phatty Tribute Edition, Little Phatty Stage II, VX-251, VX-351, CP-251 (x2), MF-101, MF-102 (x2), MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, MF-107, Dave Smith Instrments Prophet '08, DSI Evolver (2 actually), DSI Mopho, Waldorf Blofeld, Virus TI Snow, Future Retro XS, Future Retro Revolution, Future Retro Mobius.

I currently have everything listed in my signature below. Point is that one can go through A LOT of gear before you find things you'll use in studio (and live if that's your thing) for the life of the instrument. I'm a very big fan of "gear recycling". If your synth isn't getting used as much as it should (daily, imo) then it might just need to be passed on to someone else.

Now, there's still separation anxiety that comes w/ that too, I miss my SH-09 and MS-20 in a huge way, and maybe I'll get em again at some point, but I sold those because I was in a point in my life where I couldn't really do anything if they fried. Getting new analogs meant I had security in knowing they could get fixed easily through the manufacturer. There's other reasons (lust for new gear etc) too, but in the end if selling your stuff doesn't interrupt your workflow too much, SAMPLE that stuff and move along!
www.ctrlshft.com

steve m

Post by steve m » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I sold a Nord G2X last year that I hadn't used for a while. I regret it now. In fact on reflection, I think it may have been wise to keep most of the gear that I have sold over the years.

Logan String machine, Rhodes 73, Moog Opus 3, ARP Axe, Korg Trinity, Korg 01W, Nord G2X etc. Some that I don't miss at all:- Dave Smith P8, Yamaha MM6, Ensoniq ESQ1.

If yuou can afford to keep it, keep it !
Steve M

Moog Voyager, Korg Oasys 76, Kurzweil k2000, Roland G70, GEM Promega 3, Creamware Minimax ASB ( pimped ), Yamaha CS1X

Too many toys are never enough !

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Sell it!
You could have another moog or a couple moogerfoogers for what its worth!
I'd rather have a moog rogue, or a starter modular system than a nord.
Though a lot of guys I know value them as road warriors. Apparently they are good for replicating analog synths that are too flaky to road with.
But for me nothing can emulate a nice fat warm moog.