now that i have a vintage, what else do i need?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
grjbat1985

Post by grjbat1985 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:48 pm

on being moog complete..
i was under the impression they were the best but let me know what else to look into..

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Moog system 55
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 pm

G, I was thinking more vintage synths e.g. Roland Jupiters, ARP 2600/Odyssey, Korg MS-20, Oberheims etc.

I know Moogs sound very fat, but I would think the sound would get a bit "samey" after a few from the one company.

If you could, put up some pics when you're done. I'd like to see them all together!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 pm

grjbat1985 wrote:on being moog complete..
i was under the impression they were the best but let me know what else to look into..
They are the best at what they do...but they mostly all sound similar. The PolyMoog is actually a Dave Luce design; not a Bob Moog design. As such, it is a weaker sounding machine than the MemoryMoog, which was also not designed by Bob Moog. You seem to have done minimal research regarding synthesizers. Nord is an excellent (digital) brand, and I also like the sounds of Future Retro gear. Waldorf makes some awesome stuff as well. There are tons of synth companies out there, and each fill a niche. None of them can be called "best". :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

grjbat1985

Post by grjbat1985 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 pm

yea, i was thinking i might not find enough of a use for each after time but i'll still give them at least a month to tinker with (might still get a memorymoog if i can find one)
was looking to get a sequential circuits prophet 5

but i'll look into the rolands and korgs
might likely get the andromedor (alesies) --spelling, i know, i know

thanks for the info about the nords

i'm getting some literature on sythesisers soon (could take a week or two from the library, might have to buy at least one online or store)

i guess when it comes to other brands.... i've done little research (had a korg x50 for a week but returned it)

i was brought up through the oppressive/tyranical northeast, so i didn't even like learning for a good ten years at the end of schooling. (ahhh get caught up in sports, how can i get bigger and more responsive muscles?)

shoulda took the electronics class but from the looks of it(had the tech teach for a different intergrated class, i don't think the guy could teach) i wouldn't have gotten much out of it at the time...still wanted to know how electricity worked, just didn't want to do the work

o and waldof; thanks voltor07

yes, from the likes of study, i have done the minimal amount of research

p.s. i think i would be down for learning how to build my own system, but now just might be a little time sensitve.

i still think these are good to learn on but please correct me asap

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:39 pm

If building your own system is your goal, start out with a Paia 9700 DIY synth! The individual modules are not assembled, meaning LOTS of soldering, but they come with detailed instructions, and are easy to put together. IF you can solder, and read schematics, that is. :wink:

Otherwise, a modular from Modusonics or Synthesizers.com would be another suggestion. You still put the synth together, but everything is pre-fabricated, as it were. 8)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:54 pm

YES! Modulars are the path to ultimate synthesis fullfilment! 8) 8) 8) (and prepetual wallet emptyment! :lol: )
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 am

JohnLRice wrote:(and prepetual wallet emptyment! :lol: )
Only in the long run. A dot com module a month, a sequencer a year; in 15 years, you'll have TONTO! :twisted:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:17 am

Voltor07 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:(and prepetual wallet emptyment! :lol: )
Only in the long run. A dot com module a month, a sequencer a year; in 15 years, you'll have TONTO! :twisted:
LOL! uuuhhhmmm . . . is Tonto a massive modular synth groupie? (but then . . . who isn't?) If I lure Tonto away from the Lone Ranger, will the Lone Ranger kick my butt or will Chuck N. come to my rescue?

Or maybe this is just some slang terminology I'm not familiar with??? :wink:
John L Rice

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:20 am

John, from Wikipedia: The TONTO synthesizer

TONTO is an acronym for "The Original New Timbral Orchestra": the world's first (and still the largest) multitimbral polyphonic analog synthesizer, designed and constructed by Malcolm Cecil.
TONTO was essentially a series III Moog modular synthesizer expanded and customized with various other manufacturer's modules (Serge with Moog-like panels, Oberheim, EMS, Arp 2500/2600, etc.). TONTO resided at Mutato Muzika studios in the mid 1990s, the headquarters of Mark Mothersbaugh and Devo. The synth has been in the private ownership of Malcolm Cecil since he acquired Robert Margouleff's share of the ownership over two decades ago. :twisted:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:38 am

Voltor07 wrote:John, from Wikipedia: The TONTO synthesizer

TONTO is an acronym for "The Original New Timbral Orchestra": the world's first (and still the largest) multitimbral polyphonic analog synthesizer, designed and constructed by Malcolm Cecil.
TONTO was essentially a series III Moog modular synthesizer expanded and customized with various other manufacturer's modules (Serge with Moog-like panels, Oberheim, EMS, Arp 2500/2600, etc.). TONTO resided at Mutato Muzika studios in the mid 1990s, the headquarters of Mark Mothersbaugh and Devo. The synth has been in the private ownership of Malcolm Cecil since he acquired Robert Margouleff's share of the ownership over two decades ago. :twisted:
Whoa, thanks voltor07! Where the hell have I been???? :shock:
http://www.myspace.com/tontosexpandingheadband
John L Rice

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:43 am

JohnLRice wrote:
I dunno where you've been, but I want that! :mrgreen: It dates back to the early to mid seventies, and you being a modular man yourself should have AT LEAST heard of TONTO! :lol:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:11 am

Voltor07 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I dunno where you've been, but I want that! :mrgreen: It dates back to the early to mid seventies, and you being a modular man yourself should have AT LEAST heard of TONTO! :lol:
Maybe I blocked it out of my mind long ago so i wouldn't start robbing banks or something . . . . I think BeerMaster . . . and the one guy in Europe . .have larger modular synths though . . .
John L Rice

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:36 am

...i dunno... this still sounds like insanity... why the hell would you buy synth after synth and not even invest more than "a month" to get to know it... let alone learn how to play it, even in a rudimentary manner... he is of course free to spend his money anyway he wants... but I'm not sure this story rings true... if I'm wrong, all apologies, of course.
Often, the more gear you have, the less music you make.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 am

John,
TONTO is where Stevie WOnder got his Synth sound from on Innervisions.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.