now that i have a vintage, what else do i need?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:51 am

Ie. Boogie On Reggae Woman bassline is TONTO
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

grjbat1985

Post by grjbat1985 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 pm

sorry jgriv

when i meant "spend a month" i was refering to the likes of the rogue, prodigy and micromoog.......even though they might be obsolete or rudimentary, I still want to explore on them, instead of combining the funds to get another model or brand.

thanks for the input though
it is greatly apreciated

i will certainly get a pic up soon as i get all of them in one room. (they're sorta dispersed between my friends place(where we jam) and my parents house.(and one floor to the other.)

but true that, i haven't been making much music of late (maybe at most an hour a day)

but i shouldn't get caught up in time restraints. ( i didn't touch a instrument for 4 days about 2 weeks after they came (just didn't feel the desire to play-i'm a little bi-polar-so hopefully I'll develope a cycle of productive overloads and minimal dry spells)

sincerely
greg

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:21 pm

...i officially apologize for doubting...

..now let's get a picture of your synths at some point, I'm sure we'd all enjoy that...

Mos Fet

Post by Mos Fet » Sat May 02, 2009 12:55 pm

In 1985, flush with cash, I bought a fully loaded Emulator IIHD, a "Fat" Mac, and all the currently available software to hook em up.

Having previously brought the first DX7 in Canada and figuring it out with no more than a japanese manual (I still know that thing inside out) I figured this would be easy. I soon found out I was a complete idiot.

Overwhelming yourself with every cool toy you've ever wanted is an EXTREMELY bad idea. As I sit here leafing through the inscrutible Japlish manual for my drummer's POS Roland SPD-S, I'm reminded of the countless months before I could even scratch the surface of the Emu. Please remember that even though I was a subtractive synthesis hero at the time, GUI based computers were in their infancy, and the $20,000 Emu was a bargain that only a handful of people could afford. The first thing I did with the Mac was drag everything on the desktop in the trash and erase it. I had no freakin' clue.

As much as I like a Ducati Monster and could afford one, I know enough to realize I've never driven a motorcycle and would be dead in a week.

This is a tremendously ambitious project. Why don't you start out with something less frustrating to get you feet wet? Neurosurgery, piloting the Space Shuttle, or being an acrobat in the Beijing Circus comes to mind.

Best of luck. I really mean it!
-Mos Fet

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sun May 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi Greg, I doubt you have any of that stuff, you could be lying, that's for sure.. But whether or not you're making it up, I'll respond, late, to this topic!

Assuming you really have all this stuff, I feel sorry for you, actually, because you just shelled out a bunch of cash to buy synths without any apparent understanding of what they can or can't do. Truth is, there is a whole bunch of OVERLAP going on soundwise. So if you were serious about getting certain sounds going in your "synth arsenal", then you would have done research and homework prior to simply buying anything "Moog". And, I really feel like if you were interested in learning synthesis, you might go about it totally differently.

If I had $20,000 that I decided I was going to spend on synths, and I decided only to purchase Moog synths, I'd go with what I know about. But since you said you don't know anything at all about them, then it would make sense to join the Analogheaven mailing list or search their archives and look up each of the synths, and read the comparisons and contrasts of each.

Furthermore, online is available (if you look hard enough) various manuals of these Moog products of old. Then you could choose based upon assumptions from some information gathered.

Also, for a buyer, time is usually in your favor in that if you keep your eyes open, you can get a good deal if you keep your eyes open.

But A few of the Moog items that I'd be most interested in buying if I was only going to buy older Moog products, would be in this order:

1)Modular system 55
2)Minimoog
3)Sonic Six
4)Multimoog
5)Memorymoog

In this order. Some may prefer others. I am not really privvy to any others. I have never owned a Modular but would love to, so a Modular system is tops on the list for me.

Second is the father of all portable synths, the Minimoog. Fat and great all the way through.

3rd, some may disagree, the Sonic Six, because the top 2 have all the great oscillators but the Sonic Six has some nice features in a small package: 2 independent LFOs, Ring Modulator, filter bypass, etc.. and can be used as a processor.

Next is the Multimoog. I have a micro, but the Multi is a 2 voice Micromoog, and it has pressure sensitivity. Plus Steve Winwood used one all over Arc Of A Diver.

6)Lastly I'd choose the Memorymoog because it is a polysynth and it has a much better reputation than the Polymoog synth. I have played a Polymoog and although it has some interesting features they are notorious as being a tech's nightmare, and I wouldn't have the patience for it although I wouldn't turn one down!

The other ones you mentioned that you bought I have never played on, but I bet you could get the same or similar sounds from any of the above synths.

So like everyone else, I await your picture when you get them all in one room (although you're free to capture individual photos of them until that time comes). And if you want to discuss any details regarding these synths that would be very cool.

Other-brand synths that are the "bee's knees" for me:

Arp 2600
Oberheim Matrix 12 and Xpander
Rhodes Chroma
Rolands: Jupiter 6 and/or 8, Even Juno 106's are good for learning basic synth principles and the signal path on a reasonable-priced polysynth.

SH-1, 5, 7, or 101. System 100 or 100m, 700, etc.. Synth collecting could cost you your $20g and much more. And if you're bi-polar you may not really be getting much bang for the buck unless you start out small, like on a MINIMOOG, and then when that one has either exhausted the possibilities or had opened your mind to all the potentials to the other synths, you can go shopping again--no doubt with much better knowledge base--and set yourself up with a very nice studio.

andrewh

Post by andrewh » Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 am

this guy is totally full of it!!! come on- no one buys all of those synths at once. especially with no knowledge of their functions etc- he probably thinks they're all polyphonic. unveil yr eyes, suckers

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 pm

As long as he doesn't try to SELL ME those apparently non-existent synths, I'll play along.. I am more interested in the subject on a hypothetical basis, and less interested in his honesty for that reason. Does it really matter at all if he's lying or not? What if he's being honest? Then what? Simply put, we're reading this on a forum discussion group, not learning open heart surgery. For that reason the topic is valid regardless of whether he's full of it or not.

grjbat1985

pics soon enough

Post by grjbat1985 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:04 pm

i don't have a personal camera, so that has caused the delay...

thanks for the interest, of course

send me more tips, please and do so in abundance.

(phone numbers to chat and school me, i'd be much abliged, ect.) (unless exchanging phone #'s is illegal on here, my bad)

u can see my recent purchases on ebay
miking193

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 pm

if you really had 20k to spend on them you should have just gone with a Mini like you have an a modular, all those entry level synths wouldn't seem like they would do much for you. Get some Moogerfooger modules or even just the cp-251 and that will expand your Mini quite a bit.

You should look into other brands. ARP of course is awesome. While a 2600 is an awesome beast, for 5 grand or whatever you might be more satisfied with an Odyssey at 1/5 the price. You should also look into some EMS gear like the Synthi. Moog, ARP and EMS and you're ready for anything!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 am

MarbledMoog wrote:if you really had 20k to spend on them you should have just gone with a Mini like you have an a modular, all those entry level synths wouldn't seem like they would do much for you. Get some Moogerfooger modules or even just the cp-251 and that will expand your Mini quite a bit.

You should look into other brands. ARP of course is awesome. While a 2600 is an awesome beast, for 5 grand or whatever you might be more satisfied with an Odyssey at 1/5 the price. You should also look into some EMS gear like the Synthi. Moog, ARP and EMS and you're ready for anything!
Synthi 100=35k PLUS, though one was recently listed at 65k. ARP 2600 for five grand? Where? :shock: Cheapest I've seen was ten grand, and it barely worked! Ody's I've seen for $900 for a barely working unit up to five grand for a fully restored one.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Voltor, you are looking in the wrong places! The last 2600 to go around here went for 5K with duophonic keyboard and manuals. I played it and it needed a pot clean but was otherwise stable. Ody's are 800 to 2500. Avatars are really pricey still. Synthi and Buchla never show up around here. There is a Sonic Six and a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass and Rhodes 54 just came in to my favorite music store. I really want that 54, I love the small size. (That thing is in great shape and WILL be pricey)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Just Me wrote:Voltor, you are looking in the wrong places! The last 2600 to go around here went for 5K with duophonic keyboard and manuals. I played it and it needed a pot clean but was otherwise stable. Ody's are 800 to 2500. Avatars are really pricey still. Synthi and Buchla never show up around here. There is a Sonic Six and a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass and Rhodes 54 just came in to my favorite music store. I really want that 54, I love the small size. (That thing is in great shape and WILL be pricey)
Cool! Thanks for making me feel bad for not living in the Great Southwest where synths are dirt cheap. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Ok, I'll rub it in. I just picked up an MF-104 for $500. The guy sold it on eBay and the buyer returned it because "When the ext loop gain control is at 8 it isn't louder than the input signal". Yeah, I know, that makes no sense. He had already spent the money from the sale and needed to get enough to get paypall off his back and reactivate his account.
The cool thing about analog being popular again is all the bands here are using it. Then as they break up and move on, they sell their stuff. And usually pretty cheap. There is a VS that may be going up soon and I've got my offer on it. We'll see. What I can't find at a good price anywhere is a Lexicon PCM-42. And I WANT one.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 am

Just Me wrote:Ok, I'll rub it in. I just picked up an MF-104 for $500. The guy sold it on eBay and the buyer returned it because "When the ext loop gain control is at 8 it isn't louder than the input signal". Yeah, I know, that makes no sense. He had already spent the money from the sale and needed to get enough to get paypall off his back and reactivate his account.
The cool thing about analog being popular again is all the bands here are using it. Then as they break up and move on, they sell their stuff. And usually pretty cheap. There is a VS that may be going up soon and I've got my offer on it. We'll see. What I can't find at a good price anywhere is a Lexicon PCM-42. And I WANT one.
I don't like you. :lol: Stupid 104z seller. Oh, well. At least I've got a Taurus III coming early next year. I owe something like $1300 on that. THAT'S my deal! I'm an early adopter. :D

joebuck

Post by joebuck » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

Voltor07 wrote:
MarbledMoog wrote:if you really had 20k to spend on them you should have just gone with a Mini like you have an a modular, all those entry level synths wouldn't seem like they would do much for you. Get some Moogerfooger modules or even just the cp-251 and that will expand your Mini quite a bit.

Synthi 100=35k PLUS, though one was recently listed at 65k. ARP 2600 for five grand? Where? :shock: Cheapest I've seen was ten grand, and it barely worked! Ody's I've seen for $900 for a barely working unit up to five grand for a fully restored one.
Odysseys go up to about $1500 for a very nice one. 2600s can get up to $5000. Maybe some idiot dealer is trying to sell an Odyssey for $5000 but they'd really have to hold out for a sucker on that one.