What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synth...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Bryan B wrote:I am guessing the boards could be smaller if it is just a slave module without memory, and most of the switches or knobs. Even if that isn't the case, there already is a racked voyager. If you had this version (without all of the knobs and switches) it could take up less space in a rack. Those parallel ports could be quite useful if it was planned right. Put a mode switch on the back of the Voyager or in a menu, then you could cross modulate with many voyagers!
So, what you're saying, if I understand, is you'd have a rack set up similar to the Simmons electronic drum brains of yore? Instead of drum sounds, it would be voices? And you'd need to be a Voyager owner first? If this is the case, there's no need to produce a poly at all! I'll just go with a Voyager performer and three Voyager RME's. :x The point of me wanting a poly synth is because I can't justify the cost of, nor do I have room for, a four voice Voyager rack set. And round and round we go! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm

I would like to see Moog go back rather than forward. Take the basic designs of their Moogerfooger pedals and maybe add a couple of things in a couple of other modules and then start a new Modular synth. It would not be that tough to do, in my mind, because they already have some of the basics there in the pedals already. Filter, Ring Modulator, etc..Just get a midi-controllable oscillator or something.. I'm not an electronics expert but it seems that this could be really cool, and it might be really popular if it were marketed right.

After all, the Voyager and the Little Phatty both didn't see sales pick up until they trimmed some of the technological "fat" off of them. It would be in harmony with the tradition of what Moog is famous for anyway. There were many headaches involved in some of Moog's Polysynths.

Now, I would be interested in seeing an variation of the above modular suggestion including Moog teaming up with other companies such as Dave Smith/Linn etc..

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:23 pm

Voltor07 wrote: The point of me wanting a poly synth is because I can't justify the cost of, nor do I have room for, a four voice Voyager rack set.
Then you won't be able to justify the cost of a Moog poly anyway. Polys aren't known for being cheap, especially if it was made with the quality and care that Moog invests.

I was just making suggestions on how to cut the cost and fit it in a smaller rack space, so it would be cheaper than buying RME's and take up less rack than 4 RME's.

There is a reason I won't buy the new Prophet 8. They cut corners to make it affordable and lost some of the things that made the older version great.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Bryan B wrote: Then you won't be able to justify the cost of a Moog poly anyway. Polys aren't known for being cheap, especially if it was made with the quality and care that Moog invests.

I was just making suggestions on how to cut the cost and fit it in a smaller rack space, so it would be cheaper than buying RME's and take up less rack than 4 RME's.
A Moog polysynth would NOT cost as much as three RME's and a Voyager. Total cost of that would be over eleven thousand dollars. :shock: To make a viable polysynth, it would need to cost no more than $1500 per voice. Preferrably, $1000 per voice. Perhaps a three voice expander IS the way to go. :? I STILL think it's possible for Moog to build a polysynth for under ten grand. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm

somehow i dont think a $8-$10,000.00 poly would be a big seller sure theres die hards with lots of cash but prolly beyond the reach of the average Moog addict. Moog IS a niche market yeah but you have to offset that with SOME sort of volume sales to keep the company viable....pure business economics. :) I'm no expert for sure but it sure SOUNDS good lol ;)

Cheers

DL

LPTE #585 (that would LOVE some siblings)

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:33 am

Actually $10000 would probably be about right for the first run of polysynths. R&D for that would probably cost A LOT. But I think individual moduals that could be added to the Voyager OR LP (possibly even taurus or dare I say moog guitar!) would be great maybe 2 voices per module, some modulation options and no filter to cut down the cost, it can just be run into either synth and use that synths filter and vca. If I could afford either synth right now I would add that on in a heart beat

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:22 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:But I think individual moduals that could be added to the Voyager OR LP (possibly even taurus or dare I say moog guitar!) would be great maybe 2 voices per module, some modulation options and no filter to cut down the cost, it can just be run into either synth and use that synths filter and vca. If I could afford either synth right now I would add that on in a heart beat
THAT, my friend, is BRILLIANT! :shock: It takes Bryan B's idea to a whole new level! So, I could buy a Voyager (which I'll do someday), another Little Phatty (Stage II or III, depending), and a bunch of module thingies as described for my Voyager and second LP, as well as a bunch of LPF's or MuRF's to use as the filters for each voice! Oh, and Moog would HAVE to release a polyphonic keyboard to go along with these modules. :twisted:

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 am

If they had these modules right now with one or more voices, I would be plotting a way to buy them!

sell my soul?
spare organs?
work the corner?
sell my Garbage Pail Kids Collection?

Being able to add voices 2 at a time would be amazing and a lot more affordable.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 am

Voltor07 wrote: Oh, and Moog would HAVE to release a polyphonic keyboard to go along with these modules. :twisted:
I don't think so. If it were done via midi it would work just fine. Im not sure of the full potential of cv when it comes to polyphony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:14 pm

ColorForm, are you saying that you WOULD NOT like an ash 88 key keyboard from Moog with it's own wheels to go along with the polymodules? :?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Bryan B wrote: sell my Garbage Pail Kids Collection?

Being able to add voices 2 at a time would be amazing and a lot more affordable.
NEVER sell that! Those things are priceless! I myself sold mine years ago, and regret it to this very day! :x

Two voice modules would be awesomely affordable, though, so you wouldn't have to sell your Garbage Pail Kids collection. :wink:

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Nice!

Are you offering to buy it to replace the one you shouldn't have sold? :) I have complete sets of multiple editions. I sold some of the defects/misprints to a serious collector to get some extra cash in college, but other than that there are still a ton left in my shoe boxes.

I could use the money towards the monitors I am buying soon (Dynaudio BM-6A's with a BM-12S). I have to hear the frequencies I am making without my current coloration.

After that I might venture on to buy the voyager and expander to more than double the Moogertron's capabilities.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:20 pm

Bryan B wrote:Nice!

Are you offering to buy it to replace the one you shouldn't have sold?
No, that's synth money. Moog Financial Units only go to synth gear...especially since I paid cash for my Jeep Compass.
Bryan B wrote: I could use the money towards the monitors I am buying soon (Dynaudio BM-6A's with a BM-12S). I have to hear the frequencies I am making without my current coloration.

After that I might venture on to buy the voyager and expander to more than double the Moogertron's capabilities.

Yeah, that'll work. I usually prefer stage speakers for monitors, but I also wake up to a 15 watt per channel stereo hooked up to dual 12" Knight speakers from 1963. That's my alarm clock. :lol: Also LOL at Moogertron! I will name my polybeast The Moogertron! People will tremble with fear whenever it gets powered up! :twisted:

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:50 pm

BTW: I saw your post on Knob Tweak.

I would also like to get started with some modules and embark on a horrific analog beast. I like the look, sound and knobs of the larger Moog style format (Synthesizers.com, Club of the Knobs, Modcan B, MOTM, MOS) the best. I kind of want to make a custom "everything at arm's length" case, but it would be way easier just to buy one.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Voltor07 wrote:ColorForm, are you saying that you WOULD NOT like an ash 88 key keyboard from Moog with it's own wheels to go along with the polymodules? :?
no im not saying I wouldn't want one, just don't think it would be something that you would need. Since moog already has great keyboards attached to the synths you would be expanding on.